going out of town no one can take care of her

rafael

Hi guys im going out of town for 4 days and my house is going to be alone, were i live there is no place were i can take my veiled chameleon , and no one wants to take care of her because they say its to much responsibility, i have timers for her UV light and temp and even her humidity my only concern is her food source i don't know how to feed her by leaving her crickets all over the terrarium :S i need help guys please

How old is she? I don't think you would want a bunch of crickets gang banging her why she sleeps. Maybe check with your vet?

How old is she? If you load her up on feeders the day before you leave she might be ok or what about leaving a cup in there full of feeders for her? Do you have an automatic mister for her water? I would be more worried about the water than the food. A healthy adult can go quite awhile without food.

yes, but a dripper will run out the first day and then what??? I suppose in the wild they go without drinking for days, but I am not going to be the one to tell you to leave your chameleon without water for 3 or 4 days. I would not do it. Can you check the ads where you live for pet sitters? Maybe you don't have them where you live, but we have them here in the states. You have to pay them, but you also need to find someone who you can trust to take good care of your chameleon while you are gone. Try using the cup and see if she will eat out of it. Make sure it is deep enough that the feeders cannot get out and if you are feeding crickets, then pull off their back legs(yuk) so they cannot jump!

yeah im going to keep asking my friends hope one will say yes and well for now im going to try the feeding cup, oh and for water well the mister i have for her some times is leaves water on the leaves and she drinks on them some times she waits for the misters to star and she stay there they go on every half hour

hopefully you can find a friend. It sure would give you more piece of mind to have someone coming in and taking care of her I would think. You are not going for all that long. It is only 4 days!!! Beg somebody!!!

Blue Bottle flies. These are the best for going on vacation. They will hatch, fly up, and feed your cham while you are gone. That being said, 4 days without food for a healthy ~1 year old veiled is no problem at all.

Also, why would your dripper run out after a day? You should be using and automatic dripper, which will allow you to use any size reservoir that you would like. My drippers all have 5 gallon reservoirs which last for 2~3 weeks depending on the chameleon.

Blue Bottle flies. These are the best for going on vacation. They will hatch, fly up, and feed your cham while you are gone. That being said, 4 days without food for a healthy ~1 year old veiled is no problem at all.

Also, why would your dripper run out after a day? You should be using and automatic dripper, which will allow you to use any size reservoir that you would like. My drippers all have 5 gallon reservoirs which last for 2~3 weeks depending on the chameleon.

I'm interested to know what kind of dripper you have, I've never heard of automated ones before.

auto refill dripper

I got a design from a guy on the forums to make a dripper from a piece of 2" PVC where you have your misting system automatically refills the dripper I have made two, and one works very well (the other leaks a little). Mantispets sells the blue bottle fly larvae which also works great. Put a few Dubia in the cage they have a tendency to hide which can make them available days later. Also there is a design out there for a cricket feeder which is deep and has a screen ladder for the crickets to climb , look up sunny D bottle , it works great at keeping the crickets contained and can easily keep a couple of days worth of them from roaming the cage, just punch holes in the bottom so the mister won't drown the crickets. I use all of these methods. also a half dozen loose superworms won't bother the Cham and have a tendency to hide and then crawl up the side of the cage days later. there are many options, don't sweat, I think you will be OK. I am always finding feeders a week later when cleaning the cage , so I figure if he was hungry enough he would have hunted them down. Water and temps are most important get that covered and food should not be a big issue. Automation is the key, timers on lights and pump, and as big a reservoir as you are comfortable dumping on your floor.

Guess this thread is really old, but all you need is an auto fish feeder and some (you can try live but....) freeze dried baby crickets/mealworms.

Attachments

• thCA3YAIOM.jpg
    thCA3YAIOM.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 152
Relax your Cham will be fine. Set your misters to go off a little longer, she/he can drink off the leaves. Feed her well the day before you go, and it will be fine.

I'm interested to know what kind of dripper you have, I've never heard of automated ones before.

I use a small pump, like Tom's aqua lifter, attached to a flow regulator. It drips at whatever rate you want (More for Jacksons, less for Panther). I have the pump attached to a cheap timer, I think the whole set up cost me ~$10. I found the pump on Amazon for $2.

Back
Top Bottom