Good starter chams

ThyTempest

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, and it seems like a good community. More than likely, I am still probably ~2 years away from getting a chameleon, but I am a researcher at heart.

I know the basic three to consider are Veiled, Panther and Jackson's. From what I have read, Veiled seems to be most hardy, especially as babies/juvies, but that Panthers are not far behind. Can anyone give me some personal experience to back this up? With that said, I like all three types, but the vivid reds and blues of the Panther chameleons is what is really drawing me in. I will say that I really love an intense green too, but the Ambilobes at Screameleons are astonishing.

Overall, how much does the husbandry really differ between the different species, and is any of it really significant enough to warrant one being a much better beginner chameleon?

Thanks for any tips or advice,

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum, and it seems like a good community. More than likely, I am still probably ~2 years away from getting a chameleon, but I am a researcher at heart.

I know the basic three to consider are Veiled, Panther and Jackson's. From what I have read, Veiled seems to be most hardy, especially as babies/juvies, but that Panthers are not far behind. Can anyone give me some personal experience to back this up? With that said, I like all three types, but the vivid reds and blues of the Panther chameleons is what is really drawing me in. I will say that I really love an intense green too, but the Ambilobes at Screameleons are astonishing.

Overall, how much does the husbandry really differ between the different species, and is any of it really significant enough to warrant one being a much better beginner chameleon?

then get a male panther. They are hardy species as well.
2 me it's a matter of preference.
Jackson, being a montane species, need more humidty and cooler temp.
Hence, it might be a tad more complicated to care.

There isnt a huge difference between Veiled and Panther care. Temps can go a bit lower and higher for Veiled. Panthers seem to me to be less aggressive, more tolerant of humans. A male is easier than a female since you dont have to worry about eggs. Go for one at least 3 months old.

Hey everyone,

Austin,

Welcome to the forums. It's always good to see upcoming chameleon enthusiasts engaging in sufficient research prior to purchase-- it sounds like you're on the right path.

Unless you're absolutely infatuated by jacksonii (I wouldn't blame you if you were), I would consider the other two as beginner species for the following reasons. First, true, captive-bred jacksonii are a rarity-- most animals are advertised as such even though they are either bred in large, semi-captive, green-house-like enclosures in California (thus never really being in isolated, truly-captive conditions), or less commonly, from neonates born to females that were already gravid upon acquisition.

Secondly, jacksonii require higher humidity and, depending on where you are, this may pose a challenge at some point during the year. In my experience, they are also much more selective in their diet and may become, in general, more easily bored with a single source of food-- although, to be clear, all species will greatly benefit from a diverse diet.

That leaves veiled and panther chameleons. Here the choice is purely subjective and economical, as their husbandry does not differ that greatly, unlike their price. Although calyptratus may not be as varied in color as pardalis, they have their own set of unique characteristics-- males have an imposing casque and striking coloration, and they are also a fraction of the price of most pardalis.

I agree with a previous post, though. Regardless of the species, get a male initially so you can truly focus your efforts on polishing your husbandry practices and avoid the additional work that comes with ovulating females-- which is an interesting (and often rewarding) aspect of keeping these animals, but often a challenging one at the start.

Keep up with your research and I look forward to seeing photos of your first chameleon in the future.

Cheers!

Fabián

If your drawn to the colors of a panther then IMO get one. It seems like youve doing your homework and finding this forums is a good way to get a A+ :D

Panthers and Veileds are very similar in husbandry but veileds tend to be more agressive. At times my male Larry Jr will walk out of his cage and onto my arm and fire up...at me......while walking up my arm....kinda freaky. My male panthers vary out of the 4 only 1 is agressive.

Back
Top Bottom