Good store bought cricket feed???help

Like they ^^^ said, I use "cricket crack" and get it off Amazon for pretty cheap. It lasts quite a while in the fridge too.

20160712_192634.jpg I make my own. Chick feed (non medicated), oats, cornmeal and peanuts. They love it. Then I add carrots, apples and oranges for gut loading.

Don't peanuts have a lot of protein in them?

Yeah. I thought that was a good thing.

Overall you want your protein count to be between 16%-23% in a chow and then add some extra high protein veggies or fruits to add a boost for an extra 2% to hit 25%. You only want 25% at most, the average peanut is about 55% protein or something like that in a cup of peanuts. So you don't want to use them as a main component of a chow though there's nothing wrong with using a little. I've used some peanuts in small batches. anything higher than 27% protein something around 30% starts to become toxic and shorten the life expectancy of a roach. Anything lower than 16% and you won't have a good production rate. Too much protein and the roaches build too much uric acid in their system and could possibly pass it on to you chameleon, depending on how old the roach is that you are feeding. Or could just die. A roach that eats 65% protein on a regular basis can have a short of a life as 18 days. Considering the average life span of a female roach can be up to 3 years that's pretty pathetic. They need protein to reproduce, but since they have the ability to hold onto uric acid and don't excrete it, it becomes toxic very quickly. Which is why it is not recommended to do casein proteins or animal proteins.

Overall you want your protein count to be between 16%-23% in a chow and then add some extra high protein veggies or fruits to add a boost for an extra 2% to hit 25%. You only want 25% at most, the average peanut is about 55% protein or something like that in a cup of peanuts. So you don't want to use them as a main component of a chow though there's nothing wrong with using a little. I've used some peanuts in small batches. anything higher than 27% protein something around 30% starts to become toxic and shorten the life expectancy of a roach. Anything lower than 16% and you won't have a good production rate. Too much protein and the roaches build too much uric acid in their system and could possibly pass it on to you chameleon, depending on how old the roach is that you are feeding. Or could just die. A roach that eats 65% protein on a regular basis can have a short of a life as 18 days. Considering the average life span of a female roach can be up to 3 years that's pretty pathetic. They need protein to reproduce, but since they have the ability to hold onto uric acid and don't excrete it, it becomes toxic very quickly. Which is why it is not recommended to do casein proteins or animal proteins.
That is great info. Thanks. I only add some peanuts but I'll cut down on them for sure. I just started with my own Roach colony and I just bought my first box of 1000 crickets so it hasn't been very long for feeding the insects with peanuts, plus it was just a little bit mixed in with the chow. Thanks for the tip though.

Back
Top Bottom