Gut load Question

caietaro

I have some dry mix that's used to make bread for parrots that I'm wondering if I could use as part of a gut load regime for crickets, dubias etc. The ingredients are (all organic too): Spelt flour, kamut flake, pumpkin, poppy & sunflower seed, carrot powder, currants, almonds, coconut flake, dandelion, cayenne pepper, and ginger.

I also have some dried "leafy green and herb mix" which includes alfalfa petals, chamomile, basil, parsley flakes, bee pollen, rosemary, and cinnamon powder.

Do either of these cause any red flags?

Last edited:
The leafy/herb mix is all fine except maybe cinnamon but I think that's ok too... not positive though, I'd have to look it up. For the bread mix it all sounds ok except maybe the cayenne... I am also not positive on that XD lemme look up a few things and get back to you ^^

Edit: Ok so the cayenne has a higher phosphorous ratio than calcium but it's not so bad that it won't be balanced out by the other things in the gut load. The cinnamon is amazing when it comes to calcium being higher than phosphorous.... in fact I will probably start using it now XD lol both are a green light from what I've researched!

Last edited:
That sounds great, thank you! I just google the cinnamon myself and it looks like it's an ingredient in Repashy's Bug Burger. I couldn't find much on the cayenne pepper myself.

I have some dry mix that's used to make bread for parrots that I'm wondering if I could use as part of a gut load regime for crickets, dubias etc. The ingredients are (all organic too): Spelt flour, kamut flake, pumpkin, poppy & sunflower seed, carrot powder, currants, almonds, coconut flake, dandelion, cayenne pepper, and ginger.

I also have some dried "leafy green and herb mix" which includes alfalfa petals, chamomile, basil, parsley flakes, bee pollen, rosemary, and cinnamon powder.

Do either of these cause any red flags?

Your mix, once ground up into a FINE powder will work. You might want to consider looking at SandraChameleon's blogs on gut loads. She has the most detailed information, and she really is an expert in insect nutrition that you feed chameleons.

If you don't want to spend the time creating your own gut loads, buy Bug Buffet, Bug Burger, or Cricket Crack.

With the dry gut loads, offer fruits and vegetables for the nutritional value, and for hydration if you don't use water crystals for hydration.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Your mix, once ground up into a FINE powder will work. You might want to consider looking at SandraChameleon's blogs on gut loads. She has the most detailed information, and she really is an expert in insect nutrition that you feed chameleons.

If you don't want to spend the time creating your own gut loads, buy Bug Buffet, Bug Burger, or Cricket Crack.

With the dry gut loads, offer fruits and vegetables for the nutritional value, and for hydration if you don't use water crystals for hydration.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Thanks Nick! I did read some of SandraChameleon's blogs on gut loading and have them book marked :). I plan on using her information in order to create my own wet and dry gut loads, plus I have some Repashy Bug Burger and Superload as well as DinoFuel Raptor Edition. I just thought these two things I have mentioned in the OP would add a nice variety to the mix if they were safe to use.

Back
Top Bottom