Gutloading?

Andrew27

So far, I have been gutloading with potatoes, turnip greens, carrots, and apples. What else should i gutload with for my jacksons cham?

So far, I have been gutloading with potatoes, turnip greens, carrots, and apples. What else should i gutload with for my jacksons cham?

Potatoes do not have much nutritional quality. Good gutload to start with is sweet potato, carrots, collard greens, mustard greens, kale, turnip greens, dandelion greens, romaine lettuce, apples, oranges, bananas, squash, rolled oats, and much more. Read some of Sandrachameleon's blog for gutloading info.

Sandra - I haven't read your blog yet, but I will later today. Where am I going to get dandelion greens? Need some leaves for hornworms.

Sandra - I haven't read your blog yet, but I will later today. Where am I going to get dandelion greens? Need some leaves for hornworms.

I got them at Vitamin Cottage. Don't know if you have those where you are or not...

for me, dandelions grow as a weed in the lawn, in the veggie garden, in the cracks of the driveway.... ie everywhere.
I understand some people actually pay for them in grocery stores (near the lettuce). They are a nice addition to a greens salad in the spring :)

Grape vine leaves make for a good hornworm (and silkworm) food option.

Sandra- I was reading your blog and it is by far the best writing on gutloading chams. Thanks so much. One question- where can I get dried alfalfa? I found one product at walmart.com. Is this ok?

thank you for the compliment. Im glad you find the blog useful.

I buy dry alfalfa from a shop that sells feed for horses, sheep, etc. Some places also sell alfalfa hay for small rodent pet bedding or food. Some alfalfa pellets or compressed bricks, again often sold for rodent food, are fine too - just watch to see what other ingredients have "helpfully" been added. The link provided doesnt work for me, so cannot comment on that particular product.

thank you for the compliment. Im glad you find the blog useful.

I buy dry alfalfa from a shop that sells feed for horses, sheep, etc. Some places also sell alfalfa hay for small rodent pet bedding or food. Some alfalfa pellets or compressed bricks, again often sold for rodent food, are fine too - just watch to see what other ingredients have "helpfully" been added. The link provided doesnt work for me, so cannot comment on that particular product.

ok, sorry haha. I couldnt find it at walmart anyway. I did find, however, in the health section some alfalfa tablets. I looked at the back label for ingredients, and it just said "alfalfa." Would I be able to crush up those and use them?

ok, sorry haha. I couldnt find it at walmart anyway. I did find, however, in the health section some alfalfa tablets. I looked at the back label for ingredients, and it just said "alfalfa." Would I be able to crush up those and use them?

you'll pay far more than its worth going to a health food store!

We buy alfalfa pellets at Walmart (for the guinea pigs) and they also carry Timothy Hay. Both are good additions to gutloads. Check the rodent section of the pet department.

Back
Top Bottom