Has anyone ever used superworms beetles as staples?

lurker9090

Established Member
I was looking up the nutritional value and from what I saw, the nutritional value is comparable to roach nymphs?

I am asking because I found an old container of super worms i forgot about during a move, they all turned into beetles. I gave some to Chester and he went absolute nuts for them and it had me wondering if anyones tried to use them as staple? I heard their wings r super tough to chew but they seemed extremely fragile. Thoughts?

Source: https://reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/

Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.58.45 PM.png

I fed them when they were right before the black colour stage
they looked like this, so their shell didnt look as hard
Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 5.00.30 PM.png

So if you were to feed at this stage as a staple, would it be okay?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.58.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-08 at 4.58.00 PM.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I was looking up the nutritional value and from what I saw, the nutritional value is comparable to roach nymphs?

I am asking because I found an old container of super worms i forgot about during a move, they all turned into beetles. I gave some to Chester and he went absolute nuts for them and it had me wondering if anyones tried to use them as staple? I heard their wings r super tough to chew but they seemed extremely fragile. Thoughts?

Source: https://reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/

View attachment 357017
I am by no means even close to terribly knowledgeable about our feeders. However, I have raised/bred superworms before and their shells are quite tough. I never gave any of the beetles to any of my animals…not even my bearded dragons. The main concern that I see from the info you give though is the protein being so high. Diets that are heavily dependent upon roaches are said to be a cause of gout in chameleons because of high protein levels. The darkling beetles are so much higher in protein so I would assume that they increase the risk for gout. Maybe as an occasional treat - same as we give superworms they would be ok. I would suggest putting the beetles in a smaller bin with some wheat bran bedding and a piece of egg carton and breed your own superworms. Give them a piece of squash, sweet potato, carrot, bell pepper or other similar fresh food (or bug burger) for nutrition and hydration and in a few weeks you’ll see the bran moving and squirming with teeny almost invisible baby supers.

I forgot to add - the darkling beetles live several months and you will have more superworms than you know what to do with. But…they live a long time too. :)

I have not fed Superworm Beetles as a staple food. However I have feed them as a suppliment to many larger chameleon species and most of the larger species have not got a problem making a meal out of them. Superworm Beetles would make a good regular food for species such as Furcifer oustaleti and Furcifer verrucosus and could be occasionally offered. However my Furcifer pardalis were not fond of making a meal out of Superworm Beetles.

What chameleon species are you feeding the Superworm Beetles too?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I have not fed Superworm Beetles as a staple food. However I have feed them as a suppliment to many larger chameleon species and most of the larger species have not got a problem making a meal out of them. Superworm Beetles would make a good regular food for species such as Furcifer oustaleti and Furcifer verrucosus and could be occasionally offered. However my Furcifer pardalis were not fond of making a meal out of Superworm Beetles.

What chameleon species are you feeding the Superworm Beetles too?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
panther!

I think I read that beetles are eaten by chameleons pretty often in the wild. I don’t know if I’d make them a staple, but I raised a bunch in a large tub and I think they make a nice addition to variety. Not picky eaters either. I used my superworm/beetle bin as a garbage disposal pretty much.

Well I have had many change to the beetle in the cage but my Cham just ignores them and I rush to kill them as they are so hard I am afraid they will cut his mouth! An injured tongue is not worth it in my opinion. But I also feel that a Cham knows better of what he can and can’t eat so variety gives them supplements they would not generally get. If my Cham rushed to eat then I guess I would let him. But once they are black I would remove them.

I've learned from Dean that the bulk of a chameleon's natural diet is grasshoppers and if I remember correctly, the second most often eaten bug in the wild is some kind of beetle. I could be wrong though, my memory isn't too good. You could start to breed them and have your own colony of superworms :)

Back
Top Bottom