Has this happened to anyone?

kongchi

I order crickets at 2,000 at a time from triple L and I noticed its lasted me about a month now for Sebastian and my brothers cham. But I noticed a few times when I get some crickets out some small ones drop out, about .25 of an inch. I order them at .5 inches and now the remaining ones are all almost full grown crickets. I separate the 2,000 between two tubs and clean them out about once every other week.

From what I hear its pretty hard to breed crickets (I've tried but failed) and what most people would say is that the crickets laid eggs in the tub but how?!! I thought they only laid eggs in soil.

Has this happened to anyone?

Is it possible you got some smaller ones with your order? Did you notice them when they first arrived?

Even If I did get some small ones, they would have grown more than .25 inches in 4 weeks, I think.

I order crickets from LLLReptile as-well, I only order 1,000 at a time. I do notice some very small one here and there, But am happy with the crickets. I'm thinking about breeding crickets too. I think you have to put soil in a container for the crickets to laid in then transfer it in a warm area, where they will hatch. Youtube have alot of crickets breeding/setup video on how to get started.

I ask LLLReptile if they would put half .5 and half .25 in the same box. The answer was no.

Then you must have a knack for breeding crickets! I couldn't ever get mine interested, so I went with lobster roaches instead. Those things breed like crazy!

If you are getting 2000 at a time it should be easy to breed your own. Just get a couple of those red party cups and fill them with coco fiber from petco (brick is $3) and make sure it stays moist. You will have both cups filled witheggs within a week. I have been keeping mine on the screen porch here in TX where it gets over 100 during the day. Out of direct sun the bin has to be getting to 95 and above and they have filled 9 of those cups already from 1000 large i ordered a month ago. I must have a million pinheads now so I will grow those up and see if I can keep them going. Coco fiber was the key I was missing since I have tried this before several times and failed. The heat also helps..
To your original question, I have gotten pinheads in with my 1000 large order several times. I think they scoop them out of bins where they have started breeding so you will get some inevitably. good luck

Thanks reptoman, it makes sense. I've been using soil, sand and moss. The moss molds up and I had to throw out a handful of females with the moss. Right now im trying a mix of soil and sand, but I HAVE to try out coco fiber. Do you just put the cups directly into the bin? or do you separate the females, and also at what size would you take the females out to lay?

Since we just added another baby veiled into the family, It's costly to just keep buying those mini's at the local Pet store, but the veiled grows so fast, I don't want to order 1000 mini crickets at a time. I figure it's a good time to learn how to breed crickets and try to save some money.

Reptoman, how long did it take your cricket eggs to hatch? I am using coco fiber and putting them outside in the shade, but no success so far....

Reptoman, how long did it take your cricket eggs to hatch? I am using coco fiber and putting them outside in the shade, but no success so far....

If kept inside it takes almost 2 weeks. If I keep the tubs outside in 90-95 degrees it takes 4-5 days. Just make sure you spritz them everyday unit you begin to see the pinheads. If you let the eggs dry out they will die. Where are you at in TX?

I'm in College Station at A&M. Can't wait till it's get cool enough down here to get the lizards back outside for some real sun! They'll melt in no time right now...

Thanks reptoman, it makes sense. I've been using soil, sand and moss. The moss molds up and I had to throw out a handful of females with the moss. Right now im trying a mix of soil and sand, but I HAVE to try out coco fiber. Do you just put the cups directly into the bin? or do you separate the females, and also at what size would you take the females out to lay?

Since we just added another baby veiled into the family, It's costly to just keep buying those mini's at the local Pet store, but the veiled grows so fast, I don't want to order 1000 mini crickets at a time. I figure it's a good time to learn how to breed crickets and try to save some money.

Here's a couple of pics how I do crickets. I use some sandwich sized plastic containers with some window screen hot glued on the lid,..
Cricketeggcontainer.jpg

The screen keeps the males from digging up the eggs and eating them. Crickets are foragers and will eat them regardless of how well fed they are. The females can still insert their ovipositor through the screen. I use plain old vermiculite, but to keep that mold from invading, mix in about a teaspoon of calcium proprianate. It's used in baking bread as a mold inhibitor and is safe for the eggs.
Crickets005.jpg

I keep them in a tub with ventilation holes covered with window sheer. This keeps fungus gnats from invading. I keep them in a laundry room where it stays very warm (90-95F)

Sorry, did not see your question earlier. I put the cup directly on the floor of the bin and put a peice of egg crate over them so the crix have easy access in and out of the cups. I spritz the cups once a day to keep them from drying out and check for eggs in 4 to 5 days. I have not had problems with the males digging up the eggs and eating them. If I see a pretty good concentration of eggs I take the cup out and put it in another small bin and wait keeping the coco fiber moist. I still get a cup that is completely covered with baby crickets in about 2 weeks if kept in the house or 4-5 days if left in the heat. Good luck!

I'm in College Station at A&M. Can't wait till it's get cool enough down here to get the lizards back outside for some real sun! They'll melt in no time right now...

I hear ya. This heat sucks. I take my male panther out in the mornings and spray him down in a tree in the front yard. After 9:30am or so its too hot already.

Back
Top Bottom