hasn't eaten for 4 days...

ilovereptar

I need to know how to force/assist feed a chameleon who won't open his eyes. I am thinking about buying baby food and putting it in a small 3mm surrenge and injecting it slowly and bit by bit so he can obtain some sort of soft nutrient.

Any other ideas?

BTW:
His eyes stayed close for 2 days, with sparse 15 minute eye openings every few hours. I took him to the vet, got ointment, now his eyes aren't opening at all. The doctor says it might be because he hasn't eaten anything that he is just too weak. He was the one who recomended the baby food, but Its my idea to use the surringe to administer it to him.

Fill out the Ask For Help form please and post some pictures. Did the vet seem to know chameleons? There's got to be a problem that's making him close his eyes. Unless he's really thin or young 4 days is not a long time to go without eating. I only feed my adult veileds and panthers 3 times a week. If you need to force feed I would recommend Flucker's Repta Aid. It worked quite well with one of the older panther's I'm keeping.

What species of chameleon?
Is your light a compact, spiral or long linear tube? What brand?

Force feeding should be a last resort IMHO. If you drip water on its nose and get it to drink, you can then slip a cricket between its teeth and see if it will eat on its own.

he needs to go to the vet. to force feed him crush up some crickets, open his mouth and stick the crushed crickets in his mouth opening his mouth might seem harsh but it needs to be done to get the food in there.. add some vitamins to the crickets and some calcium... but he really needs to go to the vet... the vet can also show you how to force feed him properly.

wel the vet himself has had veiled chameleons, but the chameleon not eating is an ambilobe male. he said that I need to do it at home as not to stress the chameleon. He recommended the baby food because you can buy all natural, all vegetation, organic baby food and it's the softest easiest food to administer. My guy got drops for his eye, but the doctor thinks its a bacteria causing him to close his eyes. When they are open they aren't glazed or crusty, so I need him to poop so tests can be done. The problem is chams don't eat with eye problems.

tomorrow during the day I an going to take the assist feeding advice and get his nose wet and slip in a cricket. If that doesn't work than I'm force feeding him

My guy got drops for his eye, but the doctor thinks its a bacteria causing him to close his eyes.

Did he get any swabs to prove his thesis by bacterial cultures?

so I need him to poop so tests can be done. The problem is chams don't eat with eye problems.

Did your vet try to get some first hints about parasites by flushing the cloaca carefully and examining the fluid? Would perhaps have been helpful if he has a large parasite burden.

Be very, very careful by forcing him to eat. If your chameleon breathes and you put some nutrition deeply in his mouth the same time, he may inhalate it and get heavy lung problems.

... and we all can't wait to see the cage's setup.

As soon as you fill out the how to ask for help form we can see it there is anything to do that might help. Just put your answers in after the questions, here is the form:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

You need to know that if your cham is already stressed, as he is, force feeding is really hard on him. Instead of force feeding, first try the dripping water and putting a cricket in him mouth. Next make bug juice and try dripping it on his mouth. Make bug juice from ensure, pedalite, a few drop of liquid calcium and blend all those with bugs. I usually use crickets and dubia. After you make it and blend it smooth, strain it, put in in a syringe and drip it on him mouth. Make sure you mist him really well afterwards as the stuff is sticky. If that doesn't work, as a VERY last resort, put a drip at a time in him mouth. Only feed 3 or 4 drips at a feeding, and feed him 3 times a day.

Sorry everyone for all the questions and not filling out the sheet- My computer is dead and i've been accessing the forum through my cellular phone. I have taken pictures and I am on my way to my girlfriends to upload them- It won't let me do it through my phone.

Did he get any swabs to prove his thesis by bacterial cultures?

Did your vet try to get some first hints about parasites by flushing the cloaca carefully and examining the fluid? Would perhaps have been helpful if he has a large parasite burden.

He got swabs out to smir the ointment on his eye, but further than that swabs were never used. I dont know the name of the bacteria test he was going to do, but he said the only way he could test for it was through its fecal matter.

If there is another test I need to do I will try it, and mention the one that you listed to him. He's one of the two places that was recomended to me through the exotic pet store that I purchased him from.

When I put him into the sun, and mist him outside, he will open them up at the end of the session. For some retarded reason though, everytime I have EVER tried to take advantage of his eyes opening to feed him, he will instantly close them. Its almost like he doesnt want me to feed him....

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -12 month old Ambilobe Male- I've had him for 8 months.
Handling - Recently once a day, giving him 5 minute lukewarm water mistings outside.
Feeding - I feed him (when he eats) a mixed diet of crickets, superworms, mealworms, and silk worms whenever they are available. I gutload them with apples and sometime lettuce.
Supplements - I can't remember the name of it, but its the one they sell at PetSmart. I dust on sundays, every two weekends.
Watering - I have an MistKing that goes of 8 times a day, every 1 hour 20 minutes for 1.5 minutes. I am trying to keep the humidity up in the cage.
Fecal Description - He has not been tested for parasites- the doctor said I needed a fecal test.
History - I had him on a bad scheflera for 3 weeks 4 months ago, and that was the start of his eye problems. Ever since then it goes and comes back.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2.5x2.5x1
Lighting - I had him under a 110w PowerSun, but I just changed it to an 80w housebulb and a tube ReptiGlo 5.0
Temperature -
Day Top- 86-90
Day Bot-77
Humidity - Lowest is 20%, highest is 98%. I maintain the humidity by having more misting cycles in a shorter duration of time.
Plants - Schefllera Arboricola- Purchased from Lowes, and yes- I cleaned it off before I put it in the cage.
Placement - The cage lays 2.5 feet above the ground, and at the highest point, he can be 4'9" off the ground. Behind him there is a wall, and there is a vent on top of him but it's been closed to keep the temperature/humidity balance in the cage.
Location - Austin, Tx.

His eyes are getting harder and harder to open up, and he's eating less.

we are having the same problem with our veiled. Our vet seems to think that her eyes problems are related to the respiratory problems she is having. if you have any success with any of the feeding techniques please share them.

You have to provide some specs on the supplements... calcium or multivitamin? with or without d3? Dusting only once every two weekends sounds off, regardless of the product your using.
Have you had the powersun over him for the duration of the 8 months? I am not familiar with this bulb and I dont know if its a compact or incandescent. I also dont know if this bulb has been linked to eye issues or not. I only use 60 watt incandescent bulbs, max, and I live in Canada.
Do you see any signs of dehydration? Do you see him drink?
A bad umbrella plant? Do you think pesticide is the culprit? Or could that just be a coincidence? You would think that a vet would be able to spot an eye infection whether he/she is experienced in caring for chams or not. I would not assume the plant is the initial problem.

At this point, hydration is key. Others have provided great advice for this stage of the game in terms of eating and drinking. When the nutrition you are providing is imbalanced for an extended period of time, the animal will hide its symptoms until it inevitably is unable to hide the fact that its sick and goes down hill extremely fast. As a new keeper, when you see your animal keeping its eyes closed for much more than a blink other than when it gets some mist in its eye, sirens should ring off in your head. This is when reevaluating your husbandry is detrimental to keeping your pet alive. Honestly, if you cant find a vet who is well versed in chameleon care, its pointless imo. I once had a vet hand me an iguana care sheet for my sick panther. To nurse your pet back to health right now will be a real uphill climb. It will take vigorous research, a great deal of patience and the ability to leave it alone as much as possible to avoid stressing it further. This is often the toughest skill to obtain for many, especially when you truly love your pet and you dont want to take your eyes off of it.
Good luck. Im sure others will give you more great advice. If things dont work out for you this time, better luck next time. All we can do is improve.

You have to provide some specs on the supplements... calcium or multivitamin? with or without d3?
I switch the calcium and multivitamin every week, he gets a dusted one each week. The products are Rep-Cal multivitamin and calcium- blue and pink labels on the website
http://www.repcal.com/supp.htm.
Have you had the powersun over him for the duration of the 8 months?
I've had the powersun over him for the last 3 months. It actually helped his eyesite in the begining. It is incandescent everyone has mixed reviews on it to be honest- when you google it some people like it and others complain. That is why I switched the tube. http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-100-watt-powersun-uvb-heat-bulbs/

Do you see any signs of dehydration? Do you see him drink?
All he does is drink water. I will mist him and after the misting he'll open his eyes briefly and lick his chops. Then, with his eyes closed he'll climb to the water droplets that accumlate on the screen.

If things dont work out for you this time, better luck next time. All we can do is improve.
Reptar is a champion, and I am most certain that we will be able to pull through. I have gotten him good several times, but something new always happens. I am trying to keep my husbandry up, but having to deal with the merciless "eye problem" is the biggest issue I have. It just sucks that there are so many things that can cause this..

Thanks for your responses everyone :D

Our vet seems to think that her eyes problems are related to the respiratory problems she is having. if you have any success with any of the feeding techniques please share them.
I fed him today using Lauries bug juice concoction, and using a a crushed up superworm. I used an eyedropper. If you have someone to help you, it takes no time. I put my Reptar on my hand, and gentle pinched him with the other next to his arms. DO NOT HOLD HIS HEAD--- You need him to move around and holding his head could hurt him. I held him so he couldnt move his body, but only move his head- this way when he opened his mouth in anger, my partner could easily supply a droplet. He ate every droplet after it was in his mouth, no hesitation.

make bug juice and try dripping it on his mouth. Make bug juice from ensure, pedalite, a few drop of liquid calcium and blend all those with bugs. I usually use crickets and dubia. After you make it and blend it smooth, strain it, put in in a syringe and drip it on him mouth. Make sure you mist him really well afterwards as the stuff is sticky. If that doesn't work, as a VERY last resort, put a drip at a time in him mouth. Only feed 3 or 4 drips at a feeding, and feed him 3 times a day.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -12 month old Ambilobe Male- I've had him for 8 months.
Handling - Recently once a day, giving him 5 minute lukewarm water mistings outside.
Feeding - I feed him (when he eats) a mixed diet of crickets, superworms, mealworms, and silk worms whenever they are available. I gutload them with apples and sometime lettuce. Need better gutload

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ferretinmyshoes/446-basics-gutloading.html

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/425-may-2011-gutload.html

Supplements - I can't remember the name of it, but its the one they sell at PetSmart. I dust on sundays, every two weekends. supplement schedule needs to change

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/400-basic-chameleon-cycle-care.html

Watering - I have an MistKing that goes of 8 times a day, every 1 hour 20 minutes for 1.5 minutes. I am trying to keep the humidity up in the cage.
Fecal Description - He has not been tested for parasites- the doctor said I needed a fecal test.
History - I had him on a bad scheflera for 3 weeks 4 months ago, and that was the start of his eye problems. Ever since then it goes and comes back.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 2.5x2.5x1 Small for 12 months

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Lighting - I had him under a 110w PowerSun, but I just changed it to an 80w housebulb and a tube ReptiGlo 5.0
Temperature -
Day Top- 86-90
Day Bot-77
Humidity - Lowest is 20%, highest is 98%. I maintain the humidity by having more misting cycles in a shorter duration of time.
Plants - Schefllera Arboricola- Purchased from Lowes, and yes- I cleaned it off before I put it in the cage.
Placement - The cage lays 2.5 feet above the ground, and at the highest point, he can be 4'9" off the ground. Behind him there is a wall, and there is a vent on top of him but it's been closed to keep the temperature/humidity balance in the cage.
Location - Austin, Tx.

His eyes are getting harder and harder to open up, and he's eating less.

see links in quote and change what needs to change.

judging by your ways of gutload and supplements im going to go with a vit A issue for the eyes.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/ataraxia/404-common-eye-problems-solutions.html

also with you current gutload i would cut out the superworms ASAP.

I promise you this isn't MBD. He isnt sluggish, his jaw is never dropped, etc etc. He crawls around his cage like a professional with his eyes closed-> still energetic after not eating for 5 days...

Back
Top Bottom