Hatched Neonate with Umbilical Cord attached to egg

Zen Reptiles

Avid Member
Here's one for ya. I've heard of neonates laying INSIDE the egg for a while to absorb the yolk.

This one decided he wanted to be king of the brood and hatched first. There are 9 other eggs slit, several have been slit for a full day now. This guy both slit and hatched this morning.

I'm just leaving him in the incubator so he has a nice warm humid place to absorb what he can, as I think it would dry out and cause problems if I moved him.

Has anyone else had this happen? He's moving around, full functional, dragging his egg behind him.

Nosy Be hatchling with umbilical cord and yolk attached:

umbilicalcord002.jpg

umbilicalcord003.jpg

This is fine. Just leave him in there until it detaches. The darker it is the less he will crawl around.

I would let him be, nature will take its course, it should absorb it. I work with sharks and other fish that will consume it then egin to feed. Almost looks like it hurts but ya please keep us posted.

Do not try to remove the yolk! He will absorb it over the next few days, it's normal. Just keep him in a very humid environment (don't lift the lid to check on him often) because if it dries out it can cause a lot of problems. Just leave him be and he'll be okay. :)

He's the only one who hatched out like that, and he absorbed the yolk you see in the picture within 12 hours.

What was left was a little 'outtie' which came off within another 12 hours.

Out of 16 that hatched so far, several have had the 'outtie' and they have all fallen off within 4-12 hours. They are kinda gross, sitting on the bottom of the quarantine cage which is nice a humid so they don't dry out. Yuck.

This is my second clutch to hatch ever, all within 3 weeks! It's interesting to see how the head shape and neonatal coloring is different between Nosy Be and Nosy Mitsio. The Nosy Be have a much narrower face, and are a lot darker colored, almost black.

Back
Top Bottom