Have you purchased a "starter kit"? If so- where from?

Breezie

Hi!
I've seen some threads form the past, but wanted to get some updated opinions.
I have been thinking for years about becoming a chameleon mom. I'm not new to reptiles- I've hard frogs, iguanas, snakes etc, however this will be my first chameleon.
While I have not decided the type of chameleon yet (leaning towards a veiled or panther to start), I am going to go ahead and get a larger set up, just to ensure I have the correct type for whatever cham decides to come into my life.
I see several websites are offering complete cage packages, and I think that's the route I want to proceed.

I see Kammerflage, LLL Reptile, Screameleons, tiki tiki etc. all have the basic starter kits. I wanted to start there, and add too it as needed.

I would love recommendations from people who have experience with purchasing "starter kits".

I feel the 18 x 18 x 36" are a bit small for my needs- I'd prefer not to HAVE to upgrade... which is why I'm leaning towards Kammerflage, which is : 30” high x 16” deep x 24” wide.

I appreciate everyone's help and feedback :)

Hi!
I have been thinking for years about becoming a chameleon mom. I'm not new to reptiles- I've hard frogs, iguanas, snakes etc, however this will be my first chameleon.
While I have not decided the type of chameleon yet (leaning towards a veiled or panther to start), I am going to go ahead and get a larger set up, just to ensure I have the correct type for whatever cham decides to come into my life.
I see several websites are offering complete cage packages, and I think that's the route I want to proceed.

I see Kammerflage, LLL Reptile, Screameleons, tiki tiki etc. all have the basic starter kits. I wanted to start there, and add too it as needed.

I would love recommendations from people who have experience with purchasing "starter kits".

I feel the 18 x 18 x 36" are a bit small for my needs- I'd prefer not to HAVE to upgrade... which is why I'm leaning towards Kammerflage, which is : 30” high x 16” deep x 24” wide.

How is 18x18x36 smaller then 16x24x30 not to be rude but you do the math...And IMO I'd get a bigger one cause my 18x18x36 gets alot smaller once you keep adding things and trust me you will, Inless you are cheapo :)

First thing I would advise is to decide what type and sex of chameleon you are interested in, and that will tell you what size you will need. As a general rule, 24 x 24 x 48 is the standard size for a full sized veiled or panther, but other species require different sizes. Female veiled chams would do fine in an 18 x 18 x 36 cage, but a male will require around the 24 x 24 x 48 enclosure. Height is the key with these species, and you want enough room on the top for your lighting and misting/drip system. Good luck with your decision and can't wait to see which you choose! ;)

Hi!

I think the difference between the two cage sizes you're talking about is pretty negligible, especially since you are sacrificing height in the one cage for width, which as others have pointed out...for chameleons that isn't very helpful, you'll want that height.

If you would like, we can always upgrade our chameleon package to the 24 x 24 x 48" cage, which would slightly increase the total cost by the difference in price for the cage, and an extra couple bucks for shipping. The difference in price between the two is only $7 right now. :)

-Jen

The 18"x18"x36" is better because you have more height. The height is more desirable. 18"x18"x36" will work perfectly for a baby, juvenile male, and adult female. An adult male will need a 2'x2'x4' enclosure. Therefore, if you buy a female down the road you can re-use the cage when it's time to buy a bigger one.

You can buy starter kits from breeders like myself or order the contents on your own through reputable vendors like LLLreptile and DIYcages. DIYcages and LLLreptile have the best screen enclosures and are far better quality than Zoomeds reptibreeze. You can comparison shop for anything these days and find the lighting and supplements needed through amazon or other places like pet mountain or buy everything from LLL.

I think the difference between the two cage sizes you're talking about is pretty negligible, especially since you are sacrificing height in the one cage for width, which as others have pointed out...for chameleons that isn't very helpful, you'll want that height.

If you would like, we can always upgrade our chameleon package to the 24 x 24 x 48" cage, which would slightly increase the total cost by the difference in price for the cage, and an extra couple bucks for shipping. The difference in price between the two is only $7 right now. :)

-Jen

Hi Jen-

I ended up placing my order with you before I saw your message. I sent you a PM :)
THANKS.

I decided on going for a baby veiled :)

Back
Top Bottom