Heard a rumor

Hey I heard that they will no longer make regular household bulbs, only CFL's! WTF! Not sure when this is going to happen but I guess I better stock up! Anyone else hear this?

Yes this is true and you are right it does suck! I went to lowes and home depot and they are already running out :(. I did find a cool light that is good for plants too. It by philips. I got a few of them at home depot. The plants seem to be doing better and it doesn't hurt my little guys eyes either so I am pretty stoked.

Hey I heard that they will no longer make regular household bulbs, only CFL's! WTF! Not sure when this is going to happen but I guess I better stock up! Anyone else hear this?

This has been happening for a while. Our government is taking them off the market. Get ready.

I am not using cfl for a heat source they will still make flood lights i believe which i use for heat my cfl for that plants and uvb do not harm him in any kind of way.

They were about three years ago and the prob has now been fixed. I agree my cfl is quite bright but it dose not hurt my chameleon in any way and hes had it about 3.5 weeks. Only the zoomed one caused probs not regular cfls.

I think some of you are getting the regular cfls confused with the uvb cfl's which in the past have been known to cause problems, from what I am hearing here the regular ones are ok to use for heat?

Well the whole point of cfl's are the fact that they do not put off much heat compared to incandescent bulbs. By cutting down on infrared light, it is able to produce the same amount of light within our visible light spectrum using less watts. This does us no good since we are looking for the infrared light rather than visible light. So i would recommend stocking up on incandescent bulbs.

I don't think the regular cfls give off heat, that's part of their "charm". Incandescents will be available as "specialty" bulbs, meaning they'll cost 10 times what we're paying now.

However, the regular bulbs are available now. They are being phased out, highest wattage first. So, some stocking up is probably in order.

I find that Grocery stores and places like Target and WalMart are actually great places to buy the regular household bulbs. Target, in particular, keeps a lot in stock in a wide variety of wattages: perfect for putting together a stash.

They were about three years ago and the prob has now been fixed. I agree my cfl is quite bright but it dose not hurt my chameleon in any way and hes had it about 3.5 weeks. Only the zoomed one caused probs not regular cfls.

Well 2 1/2 yrs ago I had a 3 bins of baby veilds 2 with a repti sun 5.0 and one with a zilla cham killer. 10 of the 15 babys with the cfl went blind!! the 2 bin with the reptisun all were fine! No cfl in my cham room.Its not worth the chance to see if cfl have improved..........the end

I think I am going to take a closer look at home depot the next time Im in there and look for that plant "bulb" someone mentioned earlier and see if that is a viable alternative. It sounds like it may be better if it also helps the plants out

Back
Top Bottom