heating water for your Cham

moner

we seem to all have somekind of story of our Chams either loving or hating getting misted. some will just run at the site of the mister.

do any of you with automatic misters heat the water for the comfort of the Chams? i hate cold water, and i hate running threw the sprinklers with my kids- too dang cold. i thought a submersible fish tank heater could keep the water at a comfortable temperature, i guess that way the water isnt such a shock to the system.

anyway, does anyone do it? i still manually mist my guys and am currently saving up for a MistKing. but when time comes, i will give this a try.

The one thing I heard about heating the water is that it promotes bacteria. I guess it depends to on how often you change it.

I just put HOT water in my sprayer(hand mister) and it sprays out warm. Just check the temp first of course before you spray. Most of the times mine runs from it but sometimes he sits and actually enjoys it!

we seem to all have somekind of story of our Chams either loving or hating getting misted. some will just run at the site of the mister.

do any of you with automatic misters heat the water for the comfort of the Chams? i hate cold water, and i hate running threw the sprinklers with my kids- too dang cold. i thought a submersible fish tank heater could keep the water at a comfortable temperature, i guess that way the water isnt such a shock to the system.

anyway, does anyone do it? i still manually mist my guys and am currently saving up for a MistKing. but when time comes, i will give this a try.

I was thinking the same thing, Ive been hand misting with warm water and my 3 month old cham runs for the hills everytime I mist. I ordered a mistking last week it comes here monday and I was also curious about water temps.

There are a few ways to do this, the easiest IMO is with a water bath. Get a 5 gal bucket and another container to sit inside the bucket. I used a 2L glass erlenmeyer flask because when full it wouldn’t float and when empty it was tall enough where it couldn’t tip completely over. Use a small submersible aquarium heater, make sure it says submersible! Not sure of the manufacturer but many pet stores carry a little 4” submersible heater that’s perfect for this application. It will have an internal thermostat that will get the water to about 80*F. Fill the internal container with water and place the mister intake tube inside, hold in place with whatever works, I used a foam flask stopper. Fill the bucket with at least 4” of water and plug in your heater. Remember you must always keep water in the bucket at all times; if you let it evaporate there is potential risk for fire. A little tip, with warm standing water you are going to get bacterial build up in the bucket just add some hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) every couple of days to retard growth. 2 H2O2 decomposes into 2 H2O + O2, water and oxygen very rapidly so it’s a very safe disinfectant. Alternatively if you would like to get a little fancier and safer in my opinion, you could try the mister fogger combo. Basically it works by using an ultrasonic fogger to heat the water instead. It’s more costly and has a slightly more complicated construction, if you’re interested I can go into detail. Keep in mind I only see merit in this if your ambient room temps are very low, and you’re spraying your cham with 60 degree water in the middle of winter while you’re away at work. If that’s not your case then simply fill your reservoir with very hot water and insulate the container, some of that sticky foam foil stuff used for pipe insulation works great. Always test to see how warm the water is, in my case the hottest water that comes out of my faucet cools to around 85*F when it comes out the mister.

Back
Top Bottom