help! baby veiled wont eat

i bought a male veiled about 5inches in size from head to the tip of it's tail. he's ignoring the small crickets i gave him yesterday. so i removed the crickets and offered it again early this morning. what should i do?
Chameleon Info:

Chameleon - veiled male about 6weeks old. he's been with me for 2days now.
Handling - after i've put him inside the cage i didn't handle him to reduce stress.
Feeding - i offer 1/4inch crickets in the morning.
Supplements - i use reptical calcium with vit. d3
Watering - i only mist him during the morning for 30seconds. i've seen him drinking through branches and leaves
Fecal Description - dark brown with white on the tip. but earlier this morning he didn't drop any.
History - none. i just picked him in a cage with 4 baby chameleons.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - translucent plastic bin. dimensions are 15in x 12in x 8in (LxWxH)
Lighting - warm white 25w bulb. same bulb that are use in incubators.
Temperature - room temperature around 28C. basking spot around 30C. at night the temperature is at 22C.
Humidity - i didnt check the humidity, since i live in the Philippines, it's quite humid here.
Plants - no live plants just branches of a citrus plant and i put a piece of cabbage on the branch.
Placement - the cage is placed under the table because the chameleon seems to be tense and get's stressed every time he sees me.
Location - Philippines

Current Problem - my chameleon won't eat. i got him for 2days now.

i bought a male veiled about 5inches in size from head to the tip of it's tail. he's ignoring the small crickets i gave him yesterday. so i removed the crickets and offered it again early this morning. what should i do?

Complete the information below so other members can help with your problem.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Complete the information below so other members can help with your problem.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

thanks! i've edited my post already..

Hello, welcome to the forum :) New Chameleons do often take a few days or a week to settle in. Just disturb him as little as possible and keep offering the food. He'll get more comfortable in his new house and then he'll be less nervous of you. If you get concerned and want to try to stimulate his appetite you could try some other foods. He'll probably like fruit flies a lot.
Here's a great caresheet for Veileds that has all the basic info you need - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

You didn't mention having a uv bulb, he really need one of those.

Chameleon Info:

Chameleon - veiled male about 6weeks old. he's been with me for 2days now.
Handling - after i've put him inside the cage i didn't handle him to reduce stress.
Feeding - i offer 1/4inch crickets in the morning.
Supplements - i use reptical calcium with vit. d3 You need a calcium WITHOUT d3 for every feeding, the calcium WITH d3 for twice a month feedings, and a multivitamin for twice a month feedings.
Watering - i only mist him during the morning for 30seconds. i've seen him drinking through branches and leaves he should be misted at least 3 or 4 times a day. once is not enough.
Fecal Description - dark brown with white on the tip. but earlier this morning he didn't drop any.
History - none. i just picked him in a cage with 4 baby chameleons.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - translucent plastic bin. dimensions are 15in x 12in x 8in (LxWxH) this is not an appropriate cage for him. you need a screen cage, taht is taller than it is wide. as an adult, he will need a 24x24x48 screen cage
Lighting - warm white 25w bulb. same bulb that are use in incubators. where is his UVB light? this bulb is REQUIRED. get a reptiglo or reptisun 5.0 now, no uvb light will allow him to develop MBD, metabolic bone disease
Temperature - room temperature around 28C. basking spot around 30C. at night the temperature is at 22C.
Humidity - i didnt check the humidity, since i live in the Philippines, it's quite humid here.
Plants - no live plants just branches of a citrus plant and i put a piece of cabbage on the branch. you need alot more cover in the cage. once you upgrade the cage to the appropriate one [which should be done asap] you need to get some foliage in there, fake or real, but something so he can hide.
Placement - the cage is placed under the table because the chameleon seems to be tense and get's stressed every time he sees me. hes stressed because he has no leaves and vines to hide in.
Location - Philippines

Current Problem - my chameleon won't eat. i got him for 2days now.
my corrections are in red. you NEEED to read them, and correct them, to have a healthy happy chameleon.
chameleons wont eat the first day they are brought home, or even the second or third day, because they are scared.
not to mention, you have the wrong set up, and no good hiding places, so hes stressed out from moving, and stressed out from nto being able to hide, so he wont eat.

my corrections are in red. you NEEED to read them, and correct them, to have a healthy happy chameleon.
chameleons wont eat the first day they are brought home, or even the second or third day, because they are scared.
not to mention, you have the wrong set up, and no good hiding places, so hes stressed out from moving, and stressed out from nto being able to hide, so he wont eat.

omg! ok thanks. i'll change my setup asap :| i'll post some updates soon.. thanks a lot

what kind of multivitamins can i use? are there vitamins that are not good for them? thanks!

reptivite.

Personally.
I use an all in one supplement.

its called repashy all in one calcium plus.
it has everything in that is needed. and i dont need to worry abotu what scedule day it is for what powder.

repashy is a site sponsor.

upper right corner, click view our sponsors. you can order it from them,

it has a gecko on the front of it.

reptivite.

Personally.
I use an all in one supplement.

its called repashy all in one calcium plus.
it has everything in that is needed. and i dont need to worry abotu what scedule day it is for what powder.

repashy is a site sponsor.

upper right corner, click view our sponsors. you can order it from them,

it has a gecko on the front of it.

so i'll use repashy for everyday dusting? but i still have to do the twice a month multivitamins and d3 right? or is it already in the repashy formula? thanks :)

so i'll use repashy for everyday dusting? but i still have to do the twice a month multivitamins and d3 right? or is it already in the repashy formula? thanks :)

correct. repashy is used on every feeding.
and no you dont need to use anything else.
the repashy all in one has everything..
only time i use anything else is becuase i have a female who needs a bit more calicum for egg production.

Back
Top Bottom