Help help help!!

nosymitsio

Could any1 help me please ive made the bad mistake of thinking ive been misting my cham properly when i havnt his eyes are sunkin his crest is too!! and im so worried now!! Ive showered him each day over the last two days to rehydrate him but things seem to be getting worse my vets opens monday so i need help to do all a can till i can take him on monday for a check up! Heres some pics of him.
b8a11ada.jpg

8a3d2c92.jpg

WoW!

Well, your right he really does not look good at all. Keep misting him several times a day and if he will eat hornworms get some of those they are great for hydration.

May I ask... you mentioned you "thought" you were misting ok and now realize you were not... can you tell us what you were doing so we know what we can tell you to do differently?

Do you have a dripper? If not id suggest getting one and have it on all day. As gensen said hornworms are good for hydration, same with silkworms. You could try to go out and get some of those and see if he will eat them. How often and for how long do you mist?

im in the uk and a cant get hornworms there banned. I have a dripper but he dont really notice it. I will fill in a help form soon but really i need to find out what the best thing to get my cham back to health asap!

try using silkies they are also high in moisture so give a couple of those to him and keep up the misting and dripper.

im in the uk and a cant get hornworms there banned. I have a dripper but he dont really notice it. I will fill in a help form soon but really i need to find out what the best thing to get my cham back to health asap!

Sorry for thread hi-jacking! Are they really banned? (would explain why i cant find any anywhere!) how come?

Amanda

Is he friendly enough for you to get near him? You can try using an eye dropper too and drip it on his nose to try and see if he will drink.

Try giving him some juicy bugs like silkworms. Have a dripper going all day and increase misting times. He need fluids. You could warm the water a little to see if he would drink that instead of cold/ room temp water.

You can also use a needle to inject water into a roach, and to a limited extent a large cricket.

Your vet may give subqutaneous injections to help with hydration as well.

I've been misting the old cage all over and avoiding direct spraying on him but that was my problem he wasn't drinking unless I sprayed directly on him for 30secs then stopped then started again Then I noticed him drinking but that was far to late. I've had him in the shower twice since yesterday he drank well both times but still seems to be no improvement I've had the dripper on constant since Friday but no reaction. He certainly won't look a food never mind eating it I just am so desperate for any remedies till tomorrow before a can get a vet!

This is not something that he will recover over night. Give it some time and still take him to a vet. If spraying him directly triggers a drinking response then thats how you should go about getting him hydrated. Some chameleons hate being sprayed directly while others don't seem to mind at all.

Mist him for looong periods of time. He may drink half an hour or more. Slightly warm showers seem to work really well, mine like drinking warm water way more than cold water.

Is the chameleon eating? Pooping?
Are you sure he's dehydrated and not sick?

Right. Sunken eyes are a general symptom of illness, not just a sign of dehydration. A good description (or, better, a picture) of the poop would help in figuring out the problem.

This is not something that he will recover over night. Give it some time and still take him to a vet. If spraying him directly triggers a drinking response then thats how you should go about getting him hydrated. Some chameleons hate being sprayed directly while others don't seem to mind at all.

That is true, my Cham doesnt like being sprayed directly and goes back to his main plant even when I'm spraying around him not sure if it' to hide (probably) or if it's just because he likes to drink off the leaves

He's not eating or pooping last poop was clear gel

Id make an appointment with an exotic vet or any vet with chameleon experience... Could be parasites or an illness of some sort. If hes eating, he should be pooping something.

EDIT: misread the post. just saw hes not eating... Definitely needs a vet visit to rule out any possible cause.

Back
Top Bottom