help! im a total newbie & have some questions..

Alright yall, more questions... How often should my Jacksons eat? & how much? I have put crickets in the cages with them, but they haven't ate? Please tell me this is nothing to worry about? Surely they are smart enough to know when they are hungry. I.don't want them to die! Maybe its just taking them sometime to get use to things..

I'm from north east texas! I live around pittsburg, mount pleasant area. They're actually sleeping now I.think.. lights are off. Curled tails, being pretty still. The.breeder said these girls eat one cricket each, every one to two days, and not to.over feed.. hopefully I'm doing everything right. Breeder said to keep mist on their leaves 2 to 3 times daily. And get on a feeding schedule, so I'm trying.. if I.notice they're still not eating after a week or so, I will tell yall and we will go.from there I guess.. any other info I need to know?

Did you really mean one cricket each every two days? I don't keep jacksons but that doesn't seem right.:)

Misting schedule is basically right, feeding schedule is wrong. If they are still young (which I think you said they are) they need to eat everyday 8-10 crickets a day. Don't just use crickets though. Give them variety like crickets, silk worms, dubia roaches, etc. You can free roam the crickets if that's how you want to feed but personally I build a bond with my chams and get them comftorable with me hand feeding them. I normally hand feed around 8-10 crickets (and other food too) every day if not every other day because I have older chams. I hand feed each and everyone to make sure they eat and I dust the feeders too as well as gut load them. When I mist I mist the entire cage to where everything is dripping then mist over head of them until I start to see their mouths open up and drink. I would look into the forums deeper and find yourself a nice care guide on how to take care of your little ones. And I hope a new cage is in the works if you have 2. They really shouldn't be housed together.

Here are my cages and you can take examples as these.

My veiled has 1 real plant and 1 fake one. There is enough humidity and light and gives him extra places to hide because he is more on the shy side.

se5y9u4e.jpg
yguhupuz.jpg

This is my female panthers cage and she ran up top to get some food from me because she saw me come in the room.

vaja3usu.jpg
4atatary.jpg

And this last picture is kind of dark because its in direct sunlight but its my male panthers cage. Both panther cages have all real plants and my female has a laying bin because she will lay eggs (she already has once). You don't have to worry about a laying bin though because jacksons give live births.

jypagyju.jpg
9ahy2e2y.jpg

Yes, they are housed seperately. I have been sprinkling their crickets with calcium powder, as well as their mealworms. The breeder told me they only ate once a day, one cricket each. But I didn't think that was right. So I've been putting quite a few crickets in their cages. They have just now (& I mean right now) started to eat them, and eat the mealworms. I am currently using my phone to view y'alls comments, since my computer is broken. So I.can't post pics at this moment, but I will try to do that asap. Now that they are eating, should I still be worried? Anything else I need to do? After a few days, can I begin to handle them, or is that a no no with chams? I'm still worrying about that topic.. I would like to handle them a little everyday, but have been told they aren't very 'handly-ish' pets?

As babies I would feed as much as they want. Try hand feeding to let you get used to you. Keep posting, relax and enjoy.:)

evil minds think alike. I too, recycled my reptibreeze boxes by cutting them to use as visual barriers or water from hitting the wall

They eat and drink, thats all you can really hope for. Just give them a chance to settle in. Enjoy them at a view or set them outside on a small plant for some sun. Try approach with handling much later.

Yes, they are housed seperately. I have been sprinkling their crickets with calcium powder, as well as their mealworms. The breeder told me they only ate once a day, one cricket each. But I didn't think that was right. So I've been putting quite a few crickets in their cages. They have just now (& I mean right now) started to eat them, and eat the mealworms. I am currently using my phone to view y'alls comments, since my computer is broken. So I.can't post pics at this moment, but I will try to do that asap. Now that they are eating, should I still be worried? Anything else I need to do? After a few days, can I begin to handle them, or is that a no no with chams? I'm still worrying about that topic.. I would like to handle them a little everyday, but have been told they aren't very 'handly-ish' pets?

if they get used to eating outta ur hand they will start to trust u n over time hopefully they will come right to you u just gotta be real patient with these lil guys. they can be very lovable. the funny thing is they cant hear us but i find myself all day everyday singing n talking to them thinking they r gonna remember my voice... lol. just not gonna happen but i still do it all the time, they look rite at ya too like they r listening to u. they can chomp on u if they get scared or mad at u oh yea and they apparently like to jump at times so be careful if the day comes n u can handle them i never had a jumper yet but i have heard about them. ;) u will learn so much on here n quick if u just put in some time. have fun ! cant wait to c some pics. :)

Sorry for so many posts! :( I just have so many questions.. but glad people like y'all are here to help.. another question.. I have noticed, both of my Jackson's (when they aren't fully bright green) are a darker green (like olive color) with red tints.. ? It's hard to explain.. they have red colored colorations on them.. normal for a Jackson?

this is a great form to fill out n place it in the clinic someone will check it out n help ya where n if needed.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

if they get used to eating outta ur hand they will start to trust u n over time hopefully they will come right to you u just gotta be real patient with these lil guys. they can be very lovable. the funny thing is they cant hear us but i find myself all day everyday singing n talking to them thinking they r gonna remember my voice... lol. just not gonna happen but i still do it all the time, they look rite at ya too like they r listening to u. they can chomp on u if they get scared or mad at u oh yea and they apparently like to jump at times so be careful if the day comes n u can handle them i never had a jumper yet but i have heard about them. ;) u will learn so much on here n quick if u just put in some time. have fun ! cant wait to c some pics. :)

They can't hear you, you are right. However, they do feel vibrations from your voice whether it be a soft relaxing one or a harsh violent one. They will respond differently to your voice and how you use it. I talk to my chameleons everyday. Studies have shown that talking to living things from animals even to plants that it promotes growth. Not in a huge way like the right balanced nutrition but it does still affect it. Keep singing and talking to them ;) it does help.

Thanks, guys! They are doing better, eating, and drinking! I'm glad to have found a place where I can get advice! Chams are new to me, so I'm Learning something new everyday.. they are actually, to my surprise, very smart! I didn't know they couldn't hear! But I do talk to.them often while watching them. I have heard a lot about 'gaping'? One of my chams afterdrinking water, held her mouth open for quite awhile afterwards.. I.thought she might have been choking, but after a few minutes, she stopped, and continued to climb up her cage wall... Anything yall know about gaping? Why and what is this for?

Thanks, guys! They are doing better, eating, and drinking! I'm glad to have found a place where I can get advice! Chams are new to me, so I'm Learning something new everyday.. they are actually, to my surprise, very smart! I didn't know they couldn't hear! But I do talk to.them often while watching them. I have heard a lot about 'gaping'? One of my chams afterdrinking water, held her mouth open for quite awhile afterwards.. I.thought she might have been choking, but after a few minutes, she stopped, and continued to climb up her cage wall... Anything yall know about gaping? Why and what is this for?

I'm not expert by any means, as I am new to the chameleon world as well, however, I do know a thing or two about reptiles in general. Openeing their mouth, or 'gaping', is their way to cool off. You may want to check your temps and make sure they're not too high. Basically, your cham is getting hot. I'd lift the basking lamp a tad, or dim it if you have that kind of lamp. Drop the degrees a notch or two.

Thank you!! They seem to be okay now, but I have a question! And this is for anyone who knows some things about reptiles, chams, etc.. I was told by another user that Jackson chameleons, the ones I have now, are very hard to keep, meaning they will most likely die within a few months, no matter how hard I try to keep them healthy..? Any opinions?

Thank you!! They seem to be okay now, but I have a question! And this is for anyone who knows some things about reptiles, chams, etc.. I was told by another user that Jackson chameleons, the ones I have now, are very hard to keep, meaning they will most likely die within a few months, no matter how hard I try to keep them healthy..? Any opinions?

I wouldn't say they're 'most likely to die within a few months'. Every animal needs care, and sure, chams need extra and are more sensative to their environment. I'm right there with you as far as being new to the cham world, but just keep yourself informed, do LOTS of research and ask as many questions as you have concerns.

As long as you have the right enclosure, supplemements, moisture, sufficient food, and a low-stress, light traffic environment, why wouldn't it survive? Stay with a positive attitude and make his/her home as natural as possible with many highways and options to travel to different levels of his/her enclosure.

Who am I to talk:rolleyes: i'm new to this too, just trying to keep a positive attitude

Back
Top Bottom