Help!!! Why is my chameleon sitting sideways!!

My chameleon has been sort of arching his back to the side but the rest if his body is strate and everything else is normal excpt there has also been white stuff around his mouth like the scales are white

My Cham will sit sideways on his branch in the baskin area. I always assumed he was increasing his surface area to absorb more het

My Cham will sit sideways on his branch in the baskin area. I always assumed he was increasing his surface area to absorb more het
That is what I have heard.... but still wondering because I've seen other's with like there while body flat to the leaf or something but he' not really doing that...

I can't post any pics right now but u will be able to in a little bit as for some of the questions....
He is a veiled boy cham I got him when he was about a few months old I don' k is the exact date and I have had him since January 22 2017 i handle him almost everyday i feed him crickets and mealworms about 3 to 5 crickets and about 3 mealworms I use some orange stuff like orange cube things to feed the crickets and for the meal worms they just come in a container with saw dust im not sure right now what type if calcium I use but I will let you know when I can I have a little cricket cage with tubes so I empty out the tubes into a cup with calcium and then pick up the crickets with tweezers and feed them to tango I hand feed the meal worms with no calcium should i start using calcium with them? I have a spry bottle and I mist his cage as often as I can and I cover everything excpt him he does not like to get misted I do see him drink off the walls and leaves his droppings are yellow and dark brown on the floor of his cage and a little on his leaves he has a glass cage I will have to check about the dimensions but it's wider than tall because we already had a cage and we didn't want to spend a bunch of money to get another one even tho we have one that might not be EXACTLY what a cham needs but like u said I take him out A LOT so he gets A LOT of space to roam again in sorry but I will have to check on my lighting brand and type but it is a reptile light and I THINK it might be zoo med.... anyway it is automatic and turns on at either 7 or 7 30 and probably goes off at 8 or 9 I don't have a temp range but usually it is about 80 to 90 where I have the thermometer and I'm not sure the lowest over night probably about 70 the humidity is usually 40 through 60 or 70 I just spray.out of a bottle and use a thermometer FOR humidity I have 2 live plants and also a fake log climbing thing and a fake vung that sucktioncups to the wall my cage is located on top of a file cabinet next to it on a long way to the ground there is a vent the cage is probably a foot and a half or two above the ground

Pictures would help tremendously. There's a lot to unpack in your posts. Pictures of the mentioned behavior is a good place to start, then we can address the other issues. Copying and pasting the help form would organize your thoughts and answers a little bit better.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Orange cubes...I don't use these and I don't feed the chameleon's mealworms. The crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms can be fed/gutloaded with greens, veggies, and a bit of fruit... dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, carrots, berries, melon, apples, pears, etc. All of these things can be offered to veiled chameleons too.
Dripper...I would recommend setting up a dripper that drips at the rate of one or two drips per second so the drips land on a leaf. Yellow urates indicate dehydration and you said..." his droppings are yellow".
UVB...do you have a UVB and is it replaced when it is recommended to be?
How does he stay warm, drink and get UVB lght when he's out of the cage for long times?

Without seeing a photo of the way he's sitting we can't tell you what's wrong. A photo of the cage is useful too.

Pictures would help tremendously. There's a lot to unpack in your posts. Pictures of the mentioned behavior is a good place to start, then we can address the other issues. Copying and pasting the help form would organize your thoughts and answers a little bit better.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Ya I'm sorry about the disorganization but it was a lot and i was in a hurry, try to get as much out of it as you can..

Here is a pic of those white scales around his mouth, I can' send a pic if hum sitting sideways yet because right not he's not doing it but if I see him doing it I will deffinitally send a pic of that

Attachments

• 1513788451074685090302.jpg
    1513788451074685090302.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 272
Orange cubes...I don't use these and I don't feed the chameleon's mealworms. The crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms can be fed/gutloaded with greens, veggies, and a bit of fruit... dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, carrots, berries, melon, apples, pears, etc. All of these things can be offered to veiled chameleons too.
Dripper...I would recommend setting up a dripper that drips at the rate of one or two drips per second so the drips land on a leaf. Yellow urates indicate dehydration and you said..." his droppings are yellow".
UVB...do you have a UVB and is it replaced when it is recommended to be?
How does he stay warm, drink and get UVB lght when he's out of the cage for long times?

Without seeing a photo of the way he's sitting we can't tell you what's wrong. A photo of the cage is useful too.
Ok thank you I will also send a pic of the orange cubes for the cricjets

And also you asked how he does stuff when he is out I feed him before taking him out and always after a little bit u out him back in his cage under his lights and mist him

Here us also a pic if his droppings as you can see they are mixed with yellow and white, some more yellow than others

Attachments

• 15137894813611732458439.jpg
    15137894813611732458439.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 148
Back
Top Bottom