Help with breeding my veiled chameleon

lilbug

I have been trying to breed my female veiled chameleon. It has been a over a month since she laid her last clutch of eggs and she is showing her blue and yellow colours. When I take her to the male she stays those colors and goes right into his cage. When he goes to walk over to her she attacks him but does not change colours, she stays light green with blue and yellow. He will back off for a bit and when he trys again she attacks again. He is older and much bigger then her but she intimidates him. It has been 2 weeks of her being like this. She is a very aggressive chameleon, she puffs up and hisses at everything. Im wondering why she is like this.

How old is she.? Was she bred with with last clutch she laid.? Do you know the exact time they were laid.? AS for being aggressive, I don't really know. But she really shouldn't be bred again if she just laid eggs a little over a month ago. And if she was bred the last time she could have a retained clutch she's working on, but then her colors would change....If she's attacking him, you shouldn't be leaving her in there with him though.

I'm not too familiar with veileds, but I was under the impression that they only laid 2 or so clutches a year?

Regardless of that, if she is repeatedly attacking/hissing over several attempts, to me this means she is not receptive and I would stop trying for a week or two at least before trying again.

Is there a particular reason you are trying to "power breed" her? Even if she is ready, it takes a lot on the female to go through this, especially on back to back clutches. I am still new to breeding but I believe most "professional" breeders try to limit their females to 1 or 2 clutches per year in order to ensure maximum health of the female (and therefore of the clutch) and also to maximize the lifetime of the female.

I'm sure someone with more experience can tell us better time frames though

If she just laid, and that was the first egg laying for her since she was bred, more than likely shes working on a retained clutch. so she wont want to breed again.

NTM you shouldnt breed a female that just laid eggs so soon. Laying eggs takes a toll on their bodies. the more they lay, the shorter life they have.

I breed veileds and when I breed a female she will lay up to 3 clutches from this 1 mating. it has been my experience that it is best not to mate her if she mated before the previous clutch. the clutch that she is currently working is from retained sperm at this point and additional mating will be hard on your female and also shorten her life span. My females are only mated once a year for this reason. She should produce mostly fertile clutch around 3 months after she last laid and she could lay a 3rd clutch which will more than likely be infertile. I usually give my females 1 calender year before their next mating :) just my opinion. but it will be safer for her not to mate back to back.

to answer your question she is probably already forming her retained clutch that is why she is not allowing him to mate.

If she just laid, and that was the first egg laying for her since she was bred, more than likely shes working on a retained clutch. so she wont want to breed again.

NTM you shouldnt breed a female that just laid eggs so soon. Laying eggs takes a toll on their bodies. the more they lay, the shorter life they have.

^^^This..

Post a pic of her. I'll bet she has her gravid colors.

My female veiled layed her first clutch ever,3 months ago, she is about 2 and she has not layed any more. What time scale is there between clutches of eggs or sometimes do they only lay one clutch.

Sorry for the thread hijack

Sorry I should have been more clear, she has never been breed before. She has laid 2 infertile clutches. One in November and one in March. The lady with the male says she breeds her females one month after they lay eggs.
I bought her last April so she just over a year. I have breed chameleons before and know how to, Im more wondering if anyone has ever delt with such an aggressive female. The person with the male chameleon says she's never had a female be green with the blue spots be so mean to the male. She goes to him and stays green with the blue and is nice but as soon as he moves she lunges at him. This is not unusual behaviour for her. She puffs up and opens her mouth at everything, from her food to me when I open her cage. It takes about a half hour of me holding her before she calms down.

oh and i can't get a pic of her colours to show you, she hates the camera. All I have is pictures of her puffed up, dark colours and hissing at the camera.

Help breeding my veiled chameleon

Heres shark, not good for showing her colours she hates the camera

Attachments

• Photo 2012-04-19 1 39 36 PM.jpg
    Photo 2012-04-19 1 39 36 PM.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 234
Back
Top Bottom