Help with determining age/care

bethl

Hello,
This is my first time posting and our first chameleon. My 2 boys have been saving their money for months to purchase everything needed to properly care of a chameleon. They finally decided on a chameleon to purchase and we bought a Sahel Chameleon. We received our chameleon yesterday and when ordering the chameleon, I had thought he would be older than it appears he is. So, I have the cage set up of a 3-4 month old chameleon and I think he might only be a few weeks old. Could anyone be able to tell me what you think his age is and how I need to adjust what I do for a young baby. I am attaching pictures of the little guy. His name is Larry. (Today I contacted the store to see if they could tell me his approximate age and what they were feeding him before they sent him to us.)

Larry length2.jpg

Congrats on your first chameleon!

I would have to guess around 2 months old based off the size. I would assume he was eating 1/8-1/4" crickets. I would also still feed fruit flies as the little ones tend to love them and should help him grow into larger feeders.

If you want, feel free to post some pictures of your setup so we can make sure everything is good to go for him.

cage

Here are pics of the cage and info regarding the setup.

Cage: Modified Reptibreeze xl- interior measurements are currently 24x24x22
Live Plants: Anita Dracaena (in the middle) and Spike Dracaena (2 on the sides)
Heat Lamp: 60 watt incandescent light bulb
UV Lamp: ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp - 13W
(they were out of the 5.0 UVB)
Misting: By hand 3 times daily
Feeders: Gutloaded crickets (I got the smallest size from my local pet store after he came. Since he was smaller than I was expecting, the ones I had gotten the day before were too big. I also had ordered 500 1/4" right before he arrived yesterday. They will be coming today, so I am hoping they are small enough for him.)

He has not eaten yet. I have a cup with some crickets in it, I also let 2 crickets loose in the cage this morning.

Attachments

• larry cage 3.jpg
    larry cage 3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Larry cage.jpg
    Larry cage.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 114
  • Larry cage2.jpg
    Larry cage2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 153
Back
Top Bottom