Help with hydrating my chameleon

Anthony Hendrick

I was wondering if anyone had any new and creative ways for hydrating their chameleon (I have a male Panther)

I have a good spray system which delivers a very fine spray. I also spray his cage with warm water three times daily and offer him water with a syringe and also with the drip method.

I do have a little dehydration problem but nothing too serious (he has been to the vet and all is ok)

I bought some t-rex hydro life which i'm gonna try aswell as beaphar "cricket water" (it's a blue jelly like substance u give to crickets to keep them hydrated so they'll live longer) in the hopes that the water will pass from them to him.

I heard of some people putting their chameleon in a bath tub with two or three inches of warm water but it sounds a bit odd, anybody any thoughts on that?

Also I shower him every now and again (once every two months), may be i should be doing that more often.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks

Are you trying to say that he is refusing water? If you mist long enough and often enough, there should be plenty of water droplets on the leaves for him to drink.

Do you have enough plants? Are they real or fake ones?

a nice trick if you have a stand alone shower, point shower head against the wall, norm temps pop a branch in there sit him on the branch and turn the shower on, dont shower him but the shower should steam up (not hot though) nicely like a warm mist it will sit on him and he should drink :) i have heard of people with de-hyrating problems dooing this up to once a week!! :eek:

also keep some "juicy" live pants in there for him to nibble on some chams eat the leaves for additional hydration, others eat the leaves because they are tasty lol

Well to really get down to the actual problem, it would help if you could fill out the "how to ask for help" form. This gives members an overview of your set up, supplements, etc. and pictures of the cham are very helpful.

If appears that you are doing all the right things to give him hydration, but "why" is he dehydrated is the question. Panthers do not eat plants as say a veiled would, so that's not a solution. First, let's find out why he won't keep himself hydrated, you shouldn't "have to" manually hydrate him unless there is an underlying problem.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Are you trying to say that he is refusing water? If you mist long enough and often enough, there should be plenty of water droplets on the leaves for him to drink.

Do you have enough plants? Are they real or fake ones?

He seems to be refusing water more often as he gets older alright, I'm not sure why so I am finding more ways to offer him water. That's my main mission with him now.I'm only introducing him to the drip method now, I always gave him water with the syringe and because he used to take so much water from me I saw no need in using the drip method.

I have real plants. I have 2 ficus plants and three others but I have to admit I don't know the names of them but i'm confident they're okay.Also the back drop of the viv is a load of fake ficus and hibiscus vines that u stick on the glass with a little suction thing.

a nice trick if you have a stand alone shower, point shower head against the wall, norm temps pop a branch in there sit him on the branch and turn the shower on, dont shower him but the shower should steam up (not hot though) nicely like a warm mist it will sit on him and he should drink :) i have heard of people with de-hyrating problems dooing this up to once a week!! :eek:

also keep some "juicy" live pants in there for him to nibble on some chams eat the leaves for additional hydration, others eat the leaves because they are tasty lol

Ill start using the shower method more often so (how long for each session?)

I do also have quite a good misting machine which produces mist similar to the mist from a shower. It's a brand called nambia terra I think, a german crowd, really good!

Well to really get down to the actual problem, it would help if you could fill out the "how to ask for help" form. This gives members an overview of your set up, supplements, etc. and pictures of the cham are very helpful.

If appears that you are doing all the right things to give him hydration, but "why" is he dehydrated is the question. Panthers do not eat plants as say a veiled would, so that's not a solution. First, let's find out why he won't keep himself hydrated, you shouldn't "have to" manually hydrate him unless there is an underlying problem.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

ill get back to u as soon as i can with the info, just in college at the minute

Besides dripper and misting I water down my greens. I have a plastic lid thats strapped up to a branch and Charlie loves them. I make sure they are always wet looking. Thats a sure way to get some water if he will eat greens

I usually put mine in the shower for 20-30 minutes; by the end, I usually find him drinking. You just have to check the water often so your hot water doesn't run out, a cold shower would be bad news!

Check this page out for info on showering http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-section-dehydration.html

Remember that what feels warm to us, actually feels hot to them. They are cold blooded and tepid is warm enough. You can tell if it is too warm if they are showing their stress colors.

Besides dripper and misting I water down my greens. I have a plastic lid thats strapped up to a branch and Charlie loves them. I make sure they are always wet looking. Thats a sure way to get some water if he will eat greens

Panthers usually don't eat plant matter.

Remember that what feels warm to us, actually feels hot to them. They are cold blooded and tepid is warm enough. You can tell if it is too warm if they are showing their stress colors.

Yep, I just make sure the water that actually gets to his area is the right temperature; it is a little warmer coming from the tap so by the time it cools on its way, it's perfect.

You said.."I do have a little dehydration problem but nothing too serious (he has been to the vet and all is ok)"...why are you saying he's dehydrated? How are the pads on his head...sunken in or puffed out? Can you post a picture of him please?

Back
Top Bottom