Help With My New Baby Veiled...

Thank you Daniel.piacquadio. I hope that if I try what's suggested here I can keep the poor thing alive and healthy.

I've already ordered phoenix worms as recommended by Andee, and I paid for a rush shipment. With tomorrow being Friday, I am not sure when they will ship my order.

I'll spend what's needed, and do what's needed, but, I won't give up on this teenie-tiny chameleon!

She honestly doesn't look too bad off. I would just keep a look out for any unexplained falling. Babies can and may fall more than adults, even healthy babies, however unexplained falling and when you honestly thinks it shouldn't be happening should raise alarm bells. Falling is definitely a sign that the mbd is getting worse, and would need to be seen by a vet. There are some other signs to be aware of, like losing motor control of her limbs and grabbing her own body without correcting herself immediately. If she gets constipated easier it could also be a sign of calcium deficiency, then of course there is the softening of the bones, the swelling of limbs, breaking bones. Just be aware. If you head it off now with good food, good gutload ingredients, good vitamin and calcium use, and the ability to jump on any signs of illness if things go south. I would put aside some money every pay check for a vet fund.

Thanks again Andee! I'll be sure to keep an eye on things. So far no odd falling, just a misplaced step while focusing on staring at me!

Tomorrow I will take a drive to get more small crickets.

The fruit flies keep mating and producing offspring, so that should be good for a while.

The Phoenix worms won't be shipped to me until Monday, is there anything else I can provide?

Is it okay to stick with the meal- and wax- worms until I receive the phoenix worms?

Last edited:
***UPDATE***

Thanks for all the help from everyone!

It's been 4 days since I received this pitiful looking chameleon, and I've been giving her all the TLC possible.

I've brought her outside for fresh air and sunshine every day, I've provided what's available (mealworms, waxworms, flightless fruit flies, crickets, greens), and ordered Phoenix Worms that should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.

I'm a female homeowner, so I don't care how nutritional they are, anything called a roach isn't welcome in my house.

She's got 100 watt basking and UVB lights, and everything but the fruit flies are dusted with calcium.

She has no issues with her legs, balance, or falling. She held on in a decent wind that came on unexpectedly today, and she feels as heavy as a tiny bug.

I think she's looking better, but, that could be wishful thinking influenced, so I'm coming to the experts here for a more experienced opinion.

The first picture is when I first got her, the rest are from less than an hour ago.

20160922_184328.jpg
20160924_223900.jpg
20160924_223939.jpg
20160924_223918.jpg

Her color is definitely much better and in my opinion she has gained some weight as well. What are her Temps with the 100 watt? I am not sure if I have already asked this or not, just making sure. She definitely needs some muscle mass on her legs, which the regular dusting and Phoenix worms will definitely help. She is going to be an amazing girl if she keeps going this way. Just keep doing this phenomenal job.

Hey Andee!

Thank you for your help, and your praise of my version of TLC.

I feel privileged to have such beautiful chameleons -- especially ones that don't mind being held. Sir Ziggy got me last week on the nose as I went in for a smooch on the lips and he nailed me in less than half a second but good!

My PetSmart rescue -- Lord Charmander -- has grown like a weed! I don't want to create a small army of fat chameleons, but, I give them (every day) fresh greens, crickets, mealworms, waxworms and on occasion I treat everyone to hornworms too.

I let them pick and choose for themselves what they want to eat, but, everything is there like a private buffet -- for one.

The temps in Dutchess' cage can run as high as 90° and as low as 70°, if the central air is on. If the central air is not on the lower part gets as warm as 75°. When the lights go out, the temperature in the room is 71°. I woke up this morning to 60° cold air because my window was left open.

I always have a fan on and the window open. Temperatures fluctuate quite a bit, especially near my windows and door in my room.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of the phoenix worms. Dutchess is gangly and her legs look like toothpicks, she's in need of a good, wholesome, happy life.

The first two pictures of Dutchess were when I was asked to get some pictures of her crooked, Jaws-like dorsal fin that raised some alarm bells here. The second two pictures are from today.

Attachments

• 20160922_171748.jpg
    20160922_171748.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 110
  • 20160922_184305.jpg
    20160922_184305.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 122
  • 20160924_223922.jpg
    20160924_223922.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 20160924_223900.jpg
    20160924_223900.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 108
***UPDATE***

It's been 6 days of TLC, and help from many members. Dutchess doesn't know y'all helped, but, if she did she would thank each of you personally for your contribution(s) to paving the path to health and happiness!

20160926_230125.jpg
20160926_230058.jpg
20160926_230054.jpg
20160926_230106.jpg

Hello Andee!

Funny you should ask... it's slightly less bent. I tried to use my pinkie to push it, and it moved, but, it slowly resumed a more bent position.

It didn't hurt her, or at least she had no reaction. I don't want to press my luck, but, I assume it's better now while she is so tiny.

I tried two fingers, and I got the same reaction, but, it stayed straighter longer. Her casque is getting bigger, so it's easier to hold between my chubby fingers.

I assume as she grows and you continue with regiment of healthy feeding, supplementing and such, the casque may straighten out on its on as it gets larger.

*** UPDATE ***

When I got this little girl, who was supposed to be a boy, she had many problems including a crooked casque.

Today Dutchess is looking great, she's gaining weight, not dehydrated and she's on a great diet. Her casque is even starting to straighten on its own!

She eats (provided fresh daily) flightless fruit flies, wax worms, phoenix worms, meal worms, greens mix, and teeny tiny pieces of carrot. On occasion Dutchess will get the smallest horn worms and crickets I can find.

She's got to have a souped up engine under her hood cause she's as fast as lightning now.

BEFORE:

20160927_203857.jpg

AFTER:

20161008_170925.jpg
20161008_170930.jpg

20161008_170850.jpg

Last edited:
She should be able to eat small crickets soon. Can't remember about what we decided on those

Aaaah! That's what I forgot... Dutchess does eat crickets if they are small enough.

Dutchess ate one the other day that looked like it should have been removed from the "small" bin.

I've tried itsy bitsy, teeny tiny horn worms, but, she's not ever in a rush to eat one.

Is it true they bite?

The do bite but not until much bigger, some chams just never take to them

Personally Andee, I'm not fond of touching horn worms, they feel like squishy gummy bears that hang on. They are great escape artists too... I'm always trying to find evidence that they are still alive and hiding out, or they are in a satisfied tummy being digested.

If she doesn't take to hornworms she might take to silkworms, very few chams refuse both. But can't say much about the gummy bear problem or escape, they both kind of do it XD

*** UPDATE ***

Dutchess has had her first shed, and her casque is nearly 100% straight!

I've taken the advise of some helpful members, and I KNOW she is going to live. I just want her to thrive after such a rough start.

I got a few pics before she scattered off through the jungle of vines and leaves.

20161016_195759.jpg
20161016_195804.jpg

Back
Top Bottom