Help with new enclosure

rolyatnnelg

Hi all, new to this and chameleons, i just purchased a baby female veiled with a full enclosure from a local pet/reptile store and am a little confused. I read alot of books, internet sites and posts here and not sure if i need to change the enclosure. I have a wooden enclosure with glass doors, lighting uvb strip light and basking light, he said i also need a heat mat and repti bark for the floor and a waterfall for moisture. I have added a drip system myself and mist from a hand pump 2/3 times a day but i am worried about ventilation as there doesnt seem much. I am also worried that if i change and add screen doors or cut a sreen into the top or sides then i will struggle to keep the required temp and humidity. ( i live in england and its only hot for a few weeks in the summer)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hi all, new to this and chameleons, i just purchased a baby female veiled with a full enclosure from a local pet/reptile store and am a little confused. I read alot of books, internet sites and posts here and not sure if i need to change the enclosure. I have a wooden enclosure with glass doors, lighting uvb strip light and basking light, he said i also need a heat mat and repti bark for the floor and a waterfall for moisture. I have added a drip system myself and mist from a hand pump 2/3 times a day but i am worried about ventilation as there doesnt seem much. I am also worried that if i change and add screen doors or cut a sreen into the top or sides then i will struggle to keep the required temp and humidity. ( i live in england and its only hot for a few weeks in the summer)

I suggest you move him to a all screen cage.You will not need a waterfall!, nor the heat mat.And no repti bark, your cham will try to eat it!.Just make sure you have enough live plants, mist it about 5 times a day for 1 mitune and you'll be ok.As for the heat lamp just make sure he has the right basking temp, same thing for the cool side of the cage.

How big is the cage?

Since you live in england, i suggest you keep him indoors.

Gutload your crickets, and give him repti calcium w/d3 once a month and w/out d3 give him everyday.

Please fill out this form so everybody can help you to the best of their ability.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

You said..."he said i also need a heat mat and repti bark for the floor and a waterfall for moisture"...I wouldn't use any of these. They are arboreal so they don't need a heat mat. If your house goes down below the low 60's F at night then you can buy a ceramic "bulb" Substrates might lead to impaction and some woods contain oils that are toxic to chameleons. The fountain is too difficult to keep clean.

Is the cage completely solid...no screen anywhere?? If so this is not good IMHO. Where is the UVB light going to go?

How big is the cage?

Just want to mention this now, but when your female becomes sexually mature she could lay infertile eggs, so its important at that point to provide her with a place to dig to show you that she is ready to lay them. Its also important not to overfeed her once she is sexually mature...it may make the clutches larger and can lead to other issues too.

Its important that you provide UVB for your chameleon. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic. Exposure to UVB allows the chameleon to produce D3 which allows it to use the calcium in its system.

Since many/most of the insects used as feeders have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus, its important to dust them (before feeding them to the chameleon) with a phos.-free calcium powder.

To ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder. D3 from supplements can build up in the system and cause problems but D3 produced from exposure to the UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move away from the UVB if it wants to.

I also dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A. Beta carotene can't build up in the system...however, its controversial as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene...so some people give their chameleons a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while. The reason I use the vitamin powder with the beta carotene is that then the chameleon gets all the vitamins without overdosing the vitamin A and leaving it up to the chameleon's owner to control the prEformed vitamin A.

I gutload/feed the crickets, locusts, roaches, superworms, etc. a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, parsley, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, etc.). BTW...these same greens and veggies along with a small amount of fruit (pears, apple, melon, berries, etc.).

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are all important players in bone health and need to be in balance. When trying to balance them you need to look at the supplements, what is fed to the chameleon and what is fed to the insects.

Appropriate temperatures also play a part in that they aid in good digestion so indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Here are some good sites...
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421.../index.php?show=6.Vitamin.D3.and.Calcium.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20060421.../index.php?show=6.Vitamin.D3.and.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html
http://chameleonnews.com/Home.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the quick and excellent responses, Shes a female veiled approx 2 months old and i've had her for a week, i'm feeding her 3 small crickets or locust twice a day, gut loaded with fresh fruit and veg (carrot, kale, dandelion and melon). I am using chameleon dust (by t-rex) covered on the insects with each feed at present.
Her enclosure is approx 3ft high, 2ft wide and 1.5ft deep, it is wood enclosure on 3 sides, glass doors and wooden top, there is a fixes reptisun 5. uvb strip light on the top and also a ceramic basking lamp. I have also fixed and home drip system and mist twice a day, Plants I have a ficus benjamani and a hibiscus live plants and some plastic plants. I have removed the heat mat and repti bark now and the waterfall. I also goin to get an umbrella plant and a pothos this afternoon.
I want to try and cut out large sections of the side and fix a mesh to allow better ventilation and airflow but i'm worried about the cold winter temps.
(photos attached i hope)

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 194
i to am i newbie but these are my suggestions. i would add alot more limbs for her to climb on. also alot more green for her to hide. i have a senegal cham and once i added alot more green stuff she seems alot happeir with her cage. also, if you can i would make a screen door for that cage, and also see about adding more ventilation in the sides. OR sense that is a very nice cage ( never seen one before like that) you could try and sell it and buy a all screen cage. and for heat all you should need is the right sized type A bulb ( thats what they are called in the states) or what ever your common house hold bulb is. start with a 60 watt and go up from there to get the right temps. and be sure she cant get close to it! she will get burned! again remmeber im a newbie too, so..... LOL

dale

Thanks for the quick and excellent responses, Shes a female veiled approx 2 months old and i've had her for a week, i'm feeding her 3 small crickets or locust twice a day, gut loaded with fresh fruit and veg (carrot, kale, dandelion and melon). I am using chameleon dust (by t-rex) covered on the insects with each feed at present.
Her enclosure is approx 3ft high, 2ft wide and 1.5ft deep, it is wood enclosure on 3 sides, glass doors and wooden top, there is a fixes reptisun 5. uvb strip light on the top and also a ceramic basking lamp. I have also fixed and home drip system and mist twice a day, Plants I have a ficus benjamani and a hibiscus live plants and some plastic plants. I have removed the heat mat and repti bark now and the waterfall. I also goin to get an umbrella plant and a pothos this afternoon.
I want to try and cut out large sections of the side and fix a mesh to allow better ventilation and airflow but i'm worried about the cold winter temps.
(photos attached i hope)

Get a all screen cage,and take the heat lamp out of the inside, your gonna bake your chameleon.

Get a all screen cage,and take the heat lamp out of the inside, your gonna bake your chameleon.

You do not need an all screen cage. But if you are going to use this enclosure i think you are right on cutting out some sections for mesh. Typically i lower mesh vent and the top being mesh is the way to go. Having the mesh top with also allow for you to take the light fixtures from inside and put them up top of the enclosure. With that you can adjust the height of the basking lamp to provide the correct basking temperatures. Also will help with preventing an accidental climbing.

While you are not using glass the principles are the same and this article may help. http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

Keep doing research and be attentive and you will do alright. Welcome to the world of chams

Gpmo (him)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled Female approx 2 months old owned for 1 week
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? every couple of days just sitting on hand next to fav plant
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets and locust (gut loaded with fresh fruit and veg ie kale, carrot, sweet potato, melon, grass)8-10 per day over 2 feedings
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? chameleon dust by t-rex with each feeding
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? misting twice a day for 5 mins and drip system, havent seen her drink yet?Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? usually twice a day one dark brown in colour other white with hint of yellow not hard and not real runny little larvae shaped, not tested for parasites yet
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? wooden 3 side with glass door 3ft high, 2ft wide, 1.5ft deep. looking to add additional vent as aboveLighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Repti sun 5.0 uvb strip light and 60w basking lamp lights on from approx 7am to 7pmTemperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking temp 85-90 down to 75 in lower part of enclosure over night would guess around 60 but will check again - measured with digital thermometerHumidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? humidity at 55% glass type seems to keep hum high live plants and mistingPlants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? i have live ficus benjamani and hibiscus at present and getting a pothos and umbrella plant todayPlacement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? in living room in far corner away from traffic bottom of cage approx 3ft above floor
Location - Where are you geographically located?
in Eastbourne, South east England
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Ventilation for the enclosure and the temp during winter, also any recommendations tips about everything always welcome and helpful
Many Thanks Glenn & Maddie

I have a screen lid and some ventilation in the front of the cages (exo terra cages). I recommend having the lights outside the cage so that there is no chance of the chameleon getting burned. It can climb the cord.

I don't know what is in the supplement you are dusting with...but if you see the information in my post concerning phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A you can check to see if it has the right things in it.

that is a beautiful cage but does not meet any needs for tropical reptiles, maybe a snake, but in my opinion, that is it. lights inside the cage are dangerous, it could lead to electrical failures and hazzards, the uvb is good but there is no reflecting means of it. even with it inside the enclosure, i'm worried the light isnt travelling far. in the mean time, i would attach some tin foil or aluminum duct tape on the cage around the light (shiney side out). also, do you know what type of uvb it is? you live in England, so a closed in enclosure would work, just not one of these. like kinyonga said, exo-terra would be the best, or something with an all screen top. these all cased in enclosures must be the appropriate size to have a basking area and a cool side, with plenty of areas for the chameleon to thermoregulate. babies are sensitive to heat, even veileds, and babies arent the best at thermoregulating, that is something they need to learn how to do. so monitor the temps very good.

waterfalls do looks sweet, but theyre not good. unless you will devote your time to thourghly steralize it once or twice everyday, its not worth it. and to be honest, they dont realy create humidity. in my opinion. if they cage is larger enough, a small heat pad could be used under the tank to create a small warm spot on the ground, thus warming the bark you misted and creating humidity that way. but as other posters have said, it is in impaction worrie. some chams love to eat dirt and bark is no different, just as deadly if that. i would maybe use repti carpet. remember that chams are aboreal and will not be spending much time on the ground (unless sick) if they do, a healthy cham will usually walk down the cage, on the ground, then back up.

best suppliments are by the rep-cal brand, if you could order some calcium, calcium d3 and herptivite for somewhere, that would be great, and it would last a while before it expires or you need a new one. i would suggest maybe ordering two of the plain calcium and one each of the d3 and multivitamins. a good gut load is essential, and try to stay away from vitamin A (beta carotene is the safest) found in carrots, sweet potatoes. once you have these, members will be able to help you out with a more helpful and experienced suppliment schedual. good luck with everything. hope this helps

Thank you all for the great advice, i went back to the so called reptile store and have managed to get them to agree to change the enclosure for a better ventilation, have to wait for next weekend though but will post new pics when i get it set up. I also added some new plants, umbrella and new hibiscus. I will look to order the rep-cal as suggested two of the plain calcium and one each of the d3 and multivitamins. When/how regularly should i be adding these to her locust/crickets, also not sure now if she is actually 2 months old is there an easy way of telling. i would guess her body length about 2 to 3 inches.

Back
Top Bottom