help!

sarahlynne

Hi, I'm twelve years old and have been saving up for a chameleon for ages, so far I have almost £200 and i really want to bread but I know i won't be able to until I have more experience and money. I really want an ambilobe panther chameleon but their quite expensive so would i be able to get a female and then if I felt confident get a male after a while.
When i went to some reptile shops to look around, everything was quite expensive but my dad could help me build and incubator and a vivarium, he used to build incubators when he lived in Africa for ostrich eggs. Two of the shops said that if i did successfully breed panther chameleons they would buy from me.

But as I'm still going to school i don't know if i have time to give a chameleon the attention it needs, though I've read that you should only handle them once a week?!

Please help me and give me any advice especially if you have experience,
thank you.

I just got a new chameleon a few months ago, so here is what I can advise based on my experience.

• Chameleons can be fantastically expensive. On top of the actual chameleon, I needed a cage, stand, plants, heat lamp, UV lamp, drainage pan, drainage system, dripper, mister, vines and sticks, timers, surge protector, spray bottle, humidifier, supplements, feeders, tweezers, containers for feeders, and probably a dozen other things I have forgotten about. All that cost far more money that I had originally expected, and I only have 1 chameleon! I probably spent $600 (£390) getting everything I needed.
  • I don't breed, but I am sure there are plenty of people on the forums who can shared the outrageous costs of making sure their little ones are safe and healthy.
  • The costs don't stop! I am constantly spending money on crickets locally but also ordering other bugs on the internet. It's easy to spend $30 (£20) on feeders at least twice a month. Plus there are other reoccurring costs: food for the feeders, replacement UV bulbs, distilled water (if your tap water is mineral or chlorine heavy), and vet visits.
  • Chameleons need a lot of space. My cage is 24"by 24" by 48" tall (60cm by 60cm by 120cm tall) and I am starting to think that my chameleon is feeling cramped. In a few years, when you are thinking about going to university, you probably won't have room for your chameleons.
  • Chameleons can live for a long time compared to smaller reptiles; some might live for as long as 10 years. When you are ready to move away for university or a job or whatever, what happens to your chameleon? Will your parents care for it? Will you sell it? You will need to have a solid plan because you are going to be gone or too busy.
  • Chameleons need more attentive care and more carefully controlled environments that other lizards I have owned. Humidity, temperature, lighting all have to be maintained at specific and regular levels. I keep detailed notes on temperatures, humidity, eating, pooping, and other things, hoping to keep my little guy stress-free and healthy.
  • Chameleons are diurnal (they are daytime animals) and they need to be fed in the morning not before bed. I spend about 20-30 minutes every morning feeding, cleaning, misting, and checking out my chameleon. He really likes a firm schedule, so I have started getting up early on the weekends to keep him happy. They also need dark at night - if you are a late-night person, they will need a cage cover or even better to be in a separate room. Depending on your schedule, that might be difficult.
  • Most chameleons aren't really "friendly" from what I have heard. Mine is very fun and not afraid of people at all, but just do some searching in these forums and you will find tons of people asking why their chameleons hiss and bite. They aren't cuddly pets and prefer to be left alone.
  • What happens when you go on family vacations? Who will feed your chameleon?
  • Most chameleons eat primarily bugs (crickets, silkworms, flies, dubia roaches, etc). Can you touch a bug with your bare hands? Are your parents okay with having live bugs in the house? The bugs will get loose!

So all that sounds like a big "NO" to your question. However, you have to judge for yourself if you are ready for that kind of money and time commitment. I know I wasn't ready when I was 12, but now I definitely am.

Your family will be a big factor too. If your parents are freaked out by having bugs in the house and won't help take care of your chameleon, I wouldn't get it. However, if they are willing to help with costs and feeding, then it might be okay.

My suggestion would be to wait until university or later to get a chameleon and to get a smaller and less needy lizard in the shorter term like a gecko or a anole. Chameleons are majorly cool and I love mine a lot, but he is like having a baby - he needs so much attention and money!

Good luck!

They certainlydo cost a lot of money and a good quality ambilobe would cost a lot. I know that £200 would be gone almost instantly.

The cost certainly do not end either once you have the setup. The food bills. and possible vet bills all add up aswell as new uv and eat bulbs.

You would be best getting a male first as egglaying can be a difficult time and females need a bit more care during this time.

I certainly would not jump into breeding too quick either. The babies eat a lot and you would need another setup for them too. Aso although the shops say they will buy from you now they may not when the times come. If they can get animals cheaper they will. I know the price for baby panthers from suppliers is about £45-£50 which would mean you would make very little from breeding and selling.

Also remember they take up time which you may need for school etc.

tell you what bud you remind me of me when i was 12. all the good intent in the world but not enough allowance. i will give you...well sacrifice one from my next clutch..you have about 6 more months to prove to me you can get a proper habitat ready..i want pics if you can do that you can have a fantastic male ambilobe panther from sired by Charlie wonka he is in my avatar . do a good job because im serious i will over night him to you i promiss
we got a deal??

Chameleonsbyvangogh you may want to check the shipping. I think they are on the other side of the pond (isn't that how they say it?) Very Kind gesture though.

Just an after thought.... Every place says they will buy your babies, they will but they will also try to low ball you. They are just looking for a cheaper price, which is fine if your willing to take lower offers. Its up to the breeder... Does the price cover all the costs it took to get the babies to that stage??? Thats including covering parental costs.

I know breeders who sell cheap to brokers and such to recoup care costs, but hold on to some to sell for average rates(profit). Some babies are even held longer for age so they can charge more.

Just things I have seen and experianced over the years dealing with reptiles:)

Good luck, hope you get what you want:)

I'm not even going to comment about your age, due to the fact that when I was 12 I was already caring for more types of animals than I can remember. I had lizards, fish, amphibians, birds, and even hid a few animals from my parents! :eek: (allegedly :rolleyes:) I know that if you do research and care enough about what you are doing that you can be very successful at almost any age.

I will say something about caring for chameleons though. This is a whole new ballgame. The cost of enclosures, maintaining environment, food requirements, health risks, and many other factors would shift my answer a bit. I would suggest to ALL new owners that the responsibility of breeding should not be taken lightly (not implying that you are) and I would not suggest this unless you have had a few successful attempts at raising and caring for chameleons. The requirements for eggs and young are even more challenging and success does not come easy. I would not personally consider this unless I knew I had time and money to deal with whatever may happen.

So, my advise would be to start out with lots of research, (which you have already started) and if it is something you are able to handle, get the proper setup and get one chameleon for now. Make sure to find a knowledgeable vet nearby! You may be surprised how much work even one can be. Later on if you feel you can handle the responsibility and the bills, do more research about breeding and if it is something you can handle, give it a go! ;)

Best of luck with your decision and welcome to the forums! :)

I agree with the above. I got my fits pair of veileds at 11 years old and now five years on I have a pair of panthers and have bred the veileds too but only the once. I was lucky my family supported me with the bills if needed.

I have been keeping reptiles from five years old but these were easier species such as geckos. Now at 16 years old I still have the species I kept when younger but have moved onto the chameleons and day gecko species which take a bit more time to maintain.

It certainly can be done at your age but i know myself school can take up a lot of time and I often wish I had more time to spend with the animals but sometimes you have to put your effort into your school work especially when exams are coming up. I spent a good 6 months researching chameleons before i ended up getting one and they certainly were not cheap.

Sarahlynne If you are interested there is a reptile club in Amersham about an hour from you.I cannot get you a chameleon but do keep them myself.If your Mum or Dad is willing to bring you along to our meetings I can run things through with you.:)

if you are interested p.m. me and I will give you the details.

like i said i will GIVE you one of my hatchlings if you can prove to me you can care for one
setup
gauges
drippers
vits
spays
cage
lights it will cost BIT OF MONEY! you have 6 month and i want pics

I know hes on the other side of the pond but 45 shipping overnight should take 2 days 3 most I will pakage him n a large package with some works and a gtlow stick and hand wormer it will work as long as I keep a damp sponge in thet

just to put in my two pennies worth, when my girl got sick and needed a surgery, I ended up with a £400-something vet bill.
Are you prepared for that?

I got my first chameleon (a male veiled) when I was 7 and he lived for quite a while (almost 7 years.) So it is very possible for you take care of the animal as long as you are 120% committed and willing to do the research/work. That said, I would absolutely not advise you to get a chameleon unless your parents are willing to help you out (both with the care of the chameleon at home AND with expenses for food, veterinary care, supplies, etc.) I did all the research, read as many books as I could, and took care of the chameleon (misting, feeding, cage cleaning/maintenence,) but my mother had to help me out with actually getting the food, supplies, and veterinary care which included paying for it.

I suggest getting all the supplies and setting it all up first. Pretend like there is a chameleon in it and do everything that you would if there really was a chameleon in it. Then you will get an idea of how much work and time it will take to care for them (so you will be 100% sure you are ready for one and want one.) If you (and your parents) still want one after you have done this for at least a few weeks/months, then I think you would be ready for one. I don't suggest even attempting to breed them until you have raised a baby to adulthood and have had at least a year or two of experience though. Raising 30+ babies from hatchlings to 3+ months old is a LOT of work and a LOT of money to deal with.

I would see if your parents will help you out with buying the actual chameleon. I have a feeling that once you buy all the supplies you wont have much left over for a panther. If they see you setting up the cage and pretending like there is a real chameleon in it to gain experience, they might just be so impressed with you that they will be willing to help you buy a really nice, high quality animal (so that if you decide you want to breed later on, you will have started off with really nice blood lines/colors.)

I know hes on the other side of the pond but 45 shipping overnight should take 2 days 3 most I will pakage him n a large package with some works and a gtlow stick and hand wormer it will work as long as I keep a damp sponge in thet

Uhh, no it wont. You will have to get CITES documents and various permits which can be several hundred dollars. It would be very wrong and illegal of you to even attempt to do this.

tell you what bud you remind me of me when i was 12. all the good intent in the world but not enough allowance. i will give you...well sacrifice one from my next clutch..you have about 6 more months to prove to me you can get a proper habitat ready..i want pics if you can do that you can have a fantastic male ambilobe panther from sired by Charlie wonka he is in my avatar . do a good job because im serious i will over night him to you i promiss
we got a deal??

Wow than you so much that is a definite deal!!!

I just got a new chameleon a few months ago, so here is what I can advise based on my experience.

• Chameleons can be fantastically expensive. On top of the actual chameleon, I needed a cage, stand, plants, heat lamp, UV lamp, drainage pan, drainage system, dripper, mister, vines and sticks, timers, surge protector, spray bottle, humidifier, supplements, feeders, tweezers, containers for feeders, and probably a dozen other things I have forgotten about. All that cost far more money that I had originally expected, and I only have 1 chameleon! I probably spent $600 (£390) getting everything I needed.
  • I don't breed, but I am sure there are plenty of people on the forums who can shared the outrageous costs of making sure their little ones are safe and healthy.
  • The costs don't stop! I am constantly spending money on crickets locally but also ordering other bugs on the internet. It's easy to spend $30 (£20) on feeders at least twice a month. Plus there are other reoccurring costs: food for the feeders, replacement UV bulbs, distilled water (if your tap water is mineral or chlorine heavy), and vet visits.
  • Chameleons need a lot of space. My cage is 24"by 24" by 48" tall (60cm by 60cm by 120cm tall) and I am starting to think that my chameleon is feeling cramped. In a few years, when you are thinking about going to university, you probably won't have room for your chameleons.
  • Chameleons can live for a long time compared to smaller reptiles; some might live for as long as 10 years. When you are ready to move away for university or a job or whatever, what happens to your chameleon? Will your parents care for it? Will you sell it? You will need to have a solid plan because you are going to be gone or too busy.
  • Chameleons need more attentive care and more carefully controlled environments that other lizards I have owned. Humidity, temperature, lighting all have to be maintained at specific and regular levels. I keep detailed notes on temperatures, humidity, eating, pooping, and other things, hoping to keep my little guy stress-free and healthy.
  • Chameleons are diurnal (they are daytime animals) and they need to be fed in the morning not before bed. I spend about 20-30 minutes every morning feeding, cleaning, misting, and checking out my chameleon. He really likes a firm schedule, so I have started getting up early on the weekends to keep him happy. They also need dark at night - if you are a late-night person, they will need a cage cover or even better to be in a separate room. Depending on your schedule, that might be difficult.
  • Most chameleons aren't really "friendly" from what I have heard. Mine is very fun and not afraid of people at all, but just do some searching in these forums and you will find tons of people asking why their chameleons hiss and bite. They aren't cuddly pets and prefer to be left alone.
  • What happens when you go on family vacations? Who will feed your chameleon?
  • Most chameleons eat primarily bugs (crickets, silkworms, flies, dubia roaches, etc). Can you touch a bug with your bare hands? Are your parents okay with having live bugs in the house? The bugs will get loose!

So all that sounds like a big "NO" to your question. However, you have to judge for yourself if you are ready for that kind of money and time commitment. I know I wasn't ready when I was 12, but now I definitely am.

Your family will be a big factor too. If your parents are freaked out by having bugs in the house and won't help take care of your chameleon, I wouldn't get it. However, if they are willing to help with costs and feeding, then it might be okay.

My suggestion would be to wait until university or later to get a chameleon and to get a smaller and less needy lizard in the shorter term like a gecko or a anole. Chameleons are majorly cool and I love mine a lot, but he is like having a baby - he needs so much attention and money!

Good luck!
If I were to go on holiday i have cousins who live 5 minutes away who recently moved here from Africa were they lived on a farm and used to find chameleons and are used to handling them etc. i also have a four year old sister who loves all animals and isn't squirmish so if i did go to university she, I'm sure, would be more than happy to look after them. I also have a dog who will probably eat any insects that get out. It's not a problem getting up early because there is one shower between four of us and we all shower in the morning and I shower first so I'll get up just after 6 so after I shower ill have plenty of time to clean the cage out, mist and feed my chameleon.

Sarah he cannot post or courier a chameleon from America to England its illegal:eek:

Please ask your one of your parents if you can come along to the monthly meeting at Amersham and I will run through the keeping of them with you,then you can go to one of the Bristish breeders or shows in the summer to buy one.

Sounds like you are determined, that's a good thing, but are your parents
supportive of the idea ??

This is very important, since you live with them.

You sound like a smart kid, I'm sure you will be fine with a cham, but I think
you should start with a male, since they are a bit easier to care for.

It's not THAT big of a deal to keeping chams, just need patience, resources
and love of animals.
You can also cut down on feeder expence by raising your own, are your
parents cool with that idea?

Someone is willing to give you a cham for free!
That's fantastic :D

Kids get special care and support on this forum :)

hey Physcobunny,
my parents are very supportive and when i do get chameleon(s) i will raise my own insects and if any ever escape they'll face the wrath of my puppy!;)

Back
Top Bottom