help :(

monram

My chameleon has been acting strange lately. She won't attack crickets like she used to and when I would open the cage she would walk out onto my hand and now she just sits there. I just noticed that she keeps rocking side to side and keeps shaking every time she takes a step. She'll lift a leg and shake back and forth a few times before she puts it down. And no one was around her and she was showing these colors just now. I'm getting a laying bin for her first thing tomorrow morning just in case but most people say she looks too young. I'm just afraid this is something else and I can't see the vet until Thursday :( does anyone have any ideas??? Here is a current pic, and all chameleon and cage info below:
image.jpeg

* Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon. Could be 6 months? She has been in my care for about 2 weeks.
* Handling - About once a day, I'll leave the cage open sometimes and she'll walk on my hand or floor for about 10 minutes and then I put her back. The past few days she hasn't wanted to come out.
* Feeding - I feed her about 6-10 crickets a day and recently have been feeding her 1-2 Superworms. I gutload crickets with kale and collared greens. I feed her around dinnertime, which I now know isn't good and she should be fed earlier in the day for light to help digestion, so I will change that.
* Supplements - I sprinkle Repticalcium without D3 on her crickets every day and Reptivite every other Sunday.
* Watering - I spray water with Reptisafe on the leaves any time I see some has evaporated or it seems a bit dry. I used to see her drink every day, but now when I spray her she kind of opens her mouth like when humans do when they are tasting something.
* Fecal Description - Urate is white while bowel movements are brown. She used to have a bowel movement every day or every other day but it has been 4 days since her last movement. Has not been tested for worms in stool.
* HISTORY - Got her from petsmart and thought she was a boy and a year old

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Zoo Med Starter Kit. Screen cage. 16x16x30
* Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 UVB and 100 Watt ZooMed Daylight Blue Reptile Bulb for heat. Turn on lights around 7:30 am but she's usually awake by then and turned off around 7-8 pm (whenever she is curled up)
* Temperature - Basking spot is around 85 F and cage floor is around 79 F. Lowest overnight temp is about 72 F. I have a digital thermometer that came with starter kit.
* Humidity - I need to get a humidity monitor, but I spray leaves and cage 3 times a day
* Plants - No live plants yet, but fake ones from the pet store. Planning on getting a real one soon.
* Placement - My cage on living room floor. Not by any fans or air vents or high traffic areas.
* Location - Arizona

Raise up the cage so she can be above eye level, handle her much less to not at all. Start with coaxing her to eat from your hand, then introduce her to handling, as you build trust, for now she's adjusting to a new home and new keeper.
Her walking sounds like normal chameleon walking, especially one that is fearful and wary, they rock and sway to mimic a leaf and avoid predators detecting them.
Not sure how long you must for, but they need a long duration of misting for hydration and eye health of at least 10 mins at a time, 3-4 times a week for eyes and at least 3 minutes, every other day for drinking, possibly longer, spending on your chams drinking habits and how long the cage stays full of water droplets.
Otherwise, just relax. She's fine, you're doing fine, and read some more about them on the net and try a good book or 2.

Do you have a laying bin set up for her? Females lay infertile clutches a couple times a year, first clutch normally 4-7 months of age. Keep us posted! Also chams don't like to be handled. The dark spots mean stress, give her some time good luck

Raise up the cage so she can be above eye level, handle her much less to not at all. Start with coaxing her to eat from your hand, then introduce her to handling, as you build trust, for now she's adjusting to a new home and new keeper.
Her walking sounds like normal chameleon walking, especially one that is fearful and wary, they rock and sway to mimic a leaf and avoid predators detecting them.
Not sure how long you must for, but they need a long duration of misting for hydration and eye health of at least 10 mins at a time, 3-4 times a week for eyes and at least 3 minutes, every other day for drinking, possibly longer, spending on your chams drinking habits and how long the cage stays full of water droplets.
Otherwise, just relax. She's fine, you're doing fine, and read some more about them on the net and try a good book or 2.
this makes me feel a lot better thank you! this is my first chameleon, so i wanna do everything right and seeing a change in behavior just scared me. thank you for the tips and advice to calm me down haha

Do you have a laying bin set up for her? Females lay infertile clutches a couple times a year, first clutch normally 4-7 months of age. Keep us posted! Also chams don't like to be handled. The dark spots mean stress, give her some time good luck
On my way to home depot to get supplies for the laying bin! she finally pooped!! and she's really active now like she used to be! i have a feeling she was just backed up

Back
Top Bottom