Help

moz

Hello all,
I have around a 8 week male veiled - seemed to be doing fine until this last week.

He started to refuse eating crickets and only mealworms - But i havn't seen him eat any of them for the past 2 days - He used to hand feed but has no interest.

He had a calcium build up on his nose yesterday which i removed gently with a wet cotton bud but i've come home today and he was bumping into walls and flailing about like he was blink - his eyes look to be squinting not fully open.

Could he be going blind? Help, i really don't want to lose my yoshi :(

Thanks

Could you please fill this out, it'll help a lot.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

It's probably something that can easily be fixed, but may require a vet visit.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon -veiled 6 weeks old
* Handling - every other day
* Feeding - crickets/mealworms dusted with calcium
* Supplements - pets at home brand
* Watering - spray bottle and a dish of water - never seen him drink
* Fecal Description - dark solid poop with white urate

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Wood/glass
* Lighting - 100w bulb with uvb light on 12/12
* Temperature - 30 -22 C
* Humidity - 50 - 60 %
* Plants - Are you using live plants? No, did have parsely at first
* Placement - Where is your cage located? on a table in bedroom
* Location - Where are you geographically located? uk

What kind of thermometer are you using? A 100W bulb can generate alot of heat. Also-what kind of UVB are you using? I have never heard of that supplement-is is meant for reptiles?

Yeah it's meant for reptiles it's just a UK pet store's own brand - Can't remember the exact name my girlfriend has the tub. Just had him out and he's opened his eyes properly again - I've turned the UVB off for now. Still seems to be flailing round like a madman though..:confused:

Well for one they dont drink out of bowls, they drink off the leaves when you mist them. And if they were to drink from the bowl it could be a liability because they could poop in it and cause bacteria to grow in it.

Does the calcium have d3 in it?

Also, what is the size of the cage? I would probably suggest lowering the bulb to a 40-60 watt.

Do you have anything in the bottom of the cage? Like dirt / paper towels / etc?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon -veiled 6 weeks old
* Handling - every other day
* Feeding - crickets/mealworms dusted with calcium
* Supplements - pets at home brand
* Watering - spray bottle and a dish of water - never seen him drink
* Fecal Description - dark solid poop with white urate

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Wood/glass
* Lighting - 100w bulb with uvb light on 12/12
* Temperature - 30 -22 C
* Humidity - 50 - 60 %
* Plants - Are you using live plants? No, did have parsely at first
* Placement - Where is your cage located? on a table in bedroom
* Location - Where are you geographically located? uk

ya 100w seems a bit much for the little guy :\ even most if not all aadult chameleons usully only have 50 - 60w bulbs

A 100 watt bulb is fine for an adult in most cases. Not for a two month old cham. Also it depends on how far the light is from the enclosure. Another factor is how cold is the home kept at that the cham is in.

You should probably set up a drip system to keep water moving in the cage. Hopefully you have a plant it can water or some sort of drainage set up. Do not put an uncovered bowl on the bottom of the cage to catch the drips! That's an invitation to a drowning.

Get a plastic cup (get a few, it sometimes takes a few tries) and poke a small hole in the bottom with a pin or needle. Fill with water...it should drip not come out in a stream. Once you get a good drip, put it on top of the cage and let it drip onto some leaves.

If you need advice on drainage, post a question, you'll get loads of idea (including using a disposable ziplock type bowl that has a cover and punching a hole in it that's too small for your chameleon to get through. Let the drips fall off the leaves, onto that.)

Are you using a coiled UVB bulb or linear? What UVB rating is it (2.0, 5.0, 10.0) and what brand is it?

What specifically is in the supplement
What type specifically of UVB bulb are you using
What specifically do you gutload with
Have you taken the animal to a vet for a professional opinion yet

He's looking better this morning.
He does drink from the leaves but i've read veiled's can learn to drink out of standing water - I replace the water every day so no bacterias going to harm him from there.

Going to add ventilation to the sides of the cage and replace the 100w with a 60w.

Very very few chams will ever learn to drink from a bowl. Read any books on chams all the experts will tell you the same thing. Setup a dripper for him. And mist him daily on a set schedule. He will learn to look forward to his daily showers. Its a time you should bond with him. Good luck... And keep reading all you can we know only a fraction about these magnificient animals.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that the way you train a chameleon to drink from a bowl is to have a dripper dripping into a small shallow bowl so there is "motion" on the surface. That's probably going to need to be emptied more than once a day and, is going to require a dripper...so, you still need the dripper.

reptiles tend to deficate in their water... therefore starting the growth of bacteria. I recommend mist king (sponsor) to water your chameleon

& you still havent answered what kind of uvb light you have?

He's never poo'd in the dish so far.
And i'm not sure of the uv bulb came installed in the viv.

He's looking better but still won't handfeed just abit worried if he's not eating.:(

The bulb was actually 40W when i took it out wtf? wrong sticker on there :p
Adding vents tomorrow and seems to be going nicely i spray the leaves like 3-4 times a day anyway and saw him drinking today. Heard of steathdrinking maybe he's got stealh eating :/ hmm - it's starting to get warmer here so viv going up a few C think that could make a difference at all?

I wouldn't use suppliments daily, maybe once a week. Its easier to over suppliment and calcium them than under do it. If you dont see him drinking he may not be. How about giving him a shower for 5 minutes or so to make sure he gets some water in him. Get him to a vet asap as he will go downhill quickly.

IMHO its important to dust the insects with a phos.-free calcium powder at most feedings to help make up for the poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus found in most of the insects we use as feeders.

You said..."He had a calcium build up on his nose yesterday which i removed gently with a wet cotton bud but i've come home today and he was bumping into walls and flailing about like he was blink - his eyes look to be squinting not fully open"...I have still never found any proof that the white salts they are expelling from the nose are calcium. Everything I have found seems to make me think that they are salts of other minerals. His behavior concerns me....but from the information you have provided I'm not sure what is causing it. I can say that I would get it to a vet asap though...this behavior is not good.

You said..."Supplements - pets at home brand"...I don't know that brand...what does it have in it in the way of phos., calcium, D3 and vitamin A?

You said..."100w bulb with uvb light on 12/12"...what brand and type (spiral, compact, long linear tube, etc.) UVB light are you using?

You said..."I've turned the UVB off for now"...did you put it back on since this or replace it?

Back
Top Bottom