Hi! Newbie here with a question for experienced people

AdamBrown

Hi,

What do you use to sanitize your chameleons cage? I used anti-bacterial wipes on the bottom while my chameleons, Peach, was in a box. Then I wiped the bottom off with water.

AB

As Simba hasn't been in new enclosure long, cleaning schedule is new, but here is what I intend.

Spot clean when required (ie if there's a poop/shed skin/dead insect on the floor) with a bit of kitchen roll sprayed with antibacterial Vivarium cleaner (which is fragrance and phenol free so safe for reptiles)

Once a week I'll clean the glass doors with lemon wedge, rinse with water and dry with kitchen roll. I'll also clean his MistKing reservoir tank and flush through the tubes and mister nozzle(inc. filter) with the anti bac cleaner and THOROUGHLY rinse before re assembling and filling up with clean water (His water is topped up midweek too).

Once a month (when I also weigh him) I'll wipe all surfaces with the anti bac viv cleaner, then rinse thoroughly with water and then wipe over with dry cloth.
Don't see the need to do a full blitz more often than that as it'll only upset him and if I'm spot cleaning when required anyway, it shouldn't get too dirty.

I might be being OTT but that's what I intend to do LOL :D

As Simba hasn't been in new enclosure long, cleaning schedule is new, but here is what I intend.

Spot clean when required (ie if there's a poop/shed skin/dead insect on the floor) with a bit of kitchen roll sprayed with antibacterial Vivarium cleaner (which is fragrance and phenol free so safe for reptiles)

Once a week I'll clean the glass doors with lemon wedge, rinse with water and dry with kitchen roll. I'll also clean his MistKing reservoir tank and flush through the tubes and mister nozzle(inc. filter) with the anti bac cleaner and THOROUGHLY rinse before re assembling and filling up with clean water (His water is topped up midweek too).

Once a month (when I also weigh him) I'll wipe all surfaces with the anti bac viv cleaner, then rinse thoroughly with water and then wipe over with dry cloth.
Don't see the need to do a full blitz more often than that as it'll only upset him and if I'm spot cleaning when required anyway, it shouldn't get too dirty.

Thanks so much.

I was also wondering. I bought Peach at a local Pet store, maybe Petland, so.... do most chameleons coming from these stores have worms? Should I get de wormed?

Personally, I imagine wild caught chameleons would have more chance of having worms than from a pet store, BUT, My advice would be DO NOT worm your chameleon until you have a had a fecal sample tested by an EXPERIENCED CHAMELEON vet.

Sadly, chams have been given wrong wormers in the past by vets (even to chams on this very forum) which has proved, devastatingly, fatal!! :(

Make sure your vet is experienced in the field of chameleons, then if a fecal sample comes back showing that ur cham does have parasites, then they wll prescribe the correct wormer for the parasite in question.

Just treating ur cham for 'worms' in general would be very risky!

Do post pics of your cham! All newbies MUST!!! ;)

I spray everything down with 10% hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), let sit for 15 minutes, then rinse well with lots of water.
Peroxide will kill anything!! and you don't need to remove anything from the cage.
It has no odor, and leaves no trace.

Need to ware gloves though, don't want to get this stuff on you! :eek:

Personally, I imagine wild caught chameleons would have more chance of having worms than from a pet store, BUT, My advice would be DO NOT worm your chameleon until you have a had a fecal sample tested by an EXPERIENCED CHAMELEON vet.

Sadly, chams have been given wrong wormers in the past by vets (even to chams on this very forum) which has proved, devastatingly, fatal!! :(

Make sure your vet is experienced in the field of chameleons, then if a fecal sample comes back showing that ur cham does have parasites, then they wll prescribe the correct wormer for the parasite in question.

Just treating ur cham for 'worms' in general would be very risky!

Do post pics of your cham! All newbies MUST!!! ;)

Thanks Kate. I have a very good exotic vet. Here is my baby, Peach

Darn. I'll put a pic up later, have work

Thanks Kate. I have a very good exotic vet. Here is my baby, Peach

Darn. I'll put a pic up later, have work

KAT! :D LOL

Oh that's good. Get a fecal in for testing then and go from there.

Awwwwww that was cruel, was looking forward to seeing lil Peach there!

Hope work not too bad! Will watch this space for pics! ;)

What anti-bacterial cleaner do you use to clean the mister? Why wipe the areas cleaned with the reptile safe anti-bacterial cleaner with water after?

On another topic, I didn't know that Jackson chameleons live for 9 years. I thought all chameleons live 2? Is that true. Thanks man.

What anti-bacterial cleaner do you use to clean the mister? Why wipe the areas cleaned with the reptile safe anti-bacterial cleaner with water after?

On another topic, I didn't know that Jackson chameleons live for 9 years. I thought all chameleons live 2? Is that true. Thanks man.

Here's a link to the cleaner I use:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php/pro-rep-viv-clean-bactericidal-cleaning-disinfectant-500ml-p-1710

It says to rinse well with water after using it to clean anything. Just following the instructions ;) Even though its safe for reptiles, I wouldn't want Simba ingesting any of it, by licking the water droplets from the walls for example?

Not sure on Jacksons but I'm pretty sure panthers live around 8-9 years. Suppose it depends on health and upkeep?

If my Jackson's chameleon is just sitting in his basking spot for extended periods of time, is that a bad thing? I use a 50 watt bulb and the temperature under the lamp is low 80's like its suppose to be. Maybe she just likes the warmth. Idk

Here's a link to the cleaner I use:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php/pro-rep-viv-clean-bactericidal-cleaning-disinfectant-500ml-p-1710

It says to rinse well with water after using it to clean anything. Just following the instructions ;) Even though its safe for reptiles, I wouldn't want Simba ingesting any of it, by licking the water droplets from the walls for example?

Not sure on Jacksons but I'm pretty sure panthers live around 8-9 years. Suppose it depends on health and upkeep?

Thanks

---------

Back
Top Bottom