Home made misting system for $30+tax

Yeah pond pumps are low pressure but if we really want to recreate their environment do you think rain in madagascar or yemen is a "fine mist"? Nope its small droplets or drizzle like the rest of the world and regular pond pumps create that effect . Am not saying the "fine mist"doesnt look nice sure does but its just not natural and sure doesnt justify the price. Just my opinion .

Yeah pond pumps are low pressure but if we really want to recreate their environment do you think rain in madagascar or yemen is a "fine mist"? Nope its small droplets or drizzle like the rest of the world and regular pond pumps create that effect . Am not saying the "fine mist"doesnt look nice sure does but its just not natural and sure doesnt justify the price. Just my opinion .

Well what's important about the fine mist nozzles is that there is low flow. I just set up a system using a pond pump and it works great, but it goes through a lot of water very fast (uses a "vortex" nozzle). That leaves me with a lot more excess water to deal with. And also, the element of nature we are trying to recreate is not necessarily rain but wet leaves. We need the chameleons to drink. Unless they're wild caught, they have never been in the rain forest, they don't know or care if their water comes in mist or drops, as long as they are able to drink their fill. The fine misting systems are obviously successful at this so it doesn't really matter if it isn't the same as Madagascar or Yemen.

I agree , but do you think it justifies the price when its about 4 times more expensive with shipping ? Uhmm

How fine is the mist coming from this home made system? I only have on cAge as well and this sounds intriguing

Justlook up jdogs setup on youtube , that'll give u an idea what to expect . I think his setup is great .

i was looking at some pond pump on homedepot.com yesterday and there are alot of different gph flow rates. What is a good enough flow rate capacity to use to create a sufficient mist. I saw a very small one @ 3/ 64 gph(gallon per hour) to high capacity (3600 gph) and while i wouldnt use the small one for other than a gold fish bowl I also dont want to use something with so much power that it blows a hole through the cham, cage and my wall.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...tchall&catalogId=10053&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&style=A

It really depends on how many cages you have . If you have one cage a pump in the mid 100s will more than suffice , Even 64 gph would do . Now if you have 5 cages like jdog, one in the 300 gph range will be good .

The set up described by the op is almost what O do outside. We have a long piece of pvc with mister inserted every 18", to connects to a garden hose that is on a timer. Because it gets hot out here, my chams are misted for 2 minutes every 15 minutes when they are outside. Works perfect. Don't think mine would be great indoors. But hey for those of you with outside guys it is great.

Here is a picture of the splitter and the mist heads I use.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305129102.004090.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305129102.004090.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 274
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305129131.023177.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305129131.023177.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 225
I just finished building a home made, well I wouldnt call it mister or driper... It puts put water in a 360 degree spray pattern that mimics rain across the leaves... And it cost $22 if anyone wants the plans I will be posting it on my blog tonight :) just an FYI

Nicee , in my opinion these systems that mimic rain are better And cheaper
PHP:
than those other costly systems

For me I tried misting but he wouldn't drink... I started this set up and he crawled right into the water... The only thing I'm going to change is add one more 90 degree spray nozzle... My hibiscus is really thick so it's missing some of the cage but otherwise my system works great for an owner on a budget

Back
Top Bottom