Home Made Screen Cage Advice

Hadeesh

Hello! I am posting today just to get a little advice on the setup I have, whether or not there is something more I could do or change.

So lets get to it.

My cage is 30x18x23, and is made of PVC piping, steel mesh (more like chicken wire) and the bottom is made of a plastic tote. I have also wrapped the back and the sides of it with plastic shrink wrap to help a little with humidity. The top part is a PVC pipe frame which house the heat, uvb, and infrared lights. On the inside I have plenty of plantage, a thermometer at top and bottom, the bottom one also having a hydrometer. (See pic 1)
20140222_111013.jpg

My dripping system (pics 2 and 3) is basically just a small rubber hose and a water pump inside a cut up water jug.
20140222_111037.jpg 20140222_113256.jpg

The bottom has no substrate, I just threw a fake plant strip down there to make it look nicer. I have also drilled a hole on one of the corners for draining. (Pics 4 and 5)

Well that's about it, if you have any questions or comments please let me know. All help is welcome!

Attachments

• 20140222_111153.jpg
    20140222_111153.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 122
  • 20140222_111202.jpg
    20140222_111202.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 120
Using hardware cloth is usually a nightmare waiting to happen! Hope you found a brand that has no sharp edge's. Also the coating they use on it corrodes after awhile. Is it a galvanized coating or polished?

Carl

Carl, it's galvanized. And I haven't had any problems with sharp edges except where I've cut it, but I wrap the edges.

And do you think it ought to be bigger? I can always make it taller, not so much wider.

Yeah, I agree, it needs to be about twice as tall. Standard is 24x24x48. Hardware wire, unless it's plastic coated, can be lethal. I like to use large-holed black charcoal screen. Keeps bugs in and lets more light through.

Yes taller would be better. Like Kath said jacksoni like a lot of room to roam.

Carl

I tried hardware cloth long ago- the chams wore their feet raw on it.

If you really want to keep what you've got, my advice is to get some good paint and paint over it. I did that for my chicken tractor and it made a big difference- the hardware cloth feels smooth and no-abrasive. Black or dark Green help with glare from the hardware cloth too when viewing the lizard.

Last edited:
Don't know if you can use this, but plasti dip would work well as paint. Again I'm not sure it will be good for your cham but I've used it on my truck its got like a plastic feel to it ( hence the NAME ).

UPDATE:
I changed out the galvanized wire for pvc coated 1/2 inch cloth. Looks better and seems safer. Thanks for the suggestions!

P.s., if my cham were to get sick from the galvanized wire, how soon would it be apparent? It has been in the galvanized cage for about a week.

Further Update:
I got a new dripping system, the little dropper, because the pump I was using decided to quit on me.

I also plan on swapping the bottom tote out for a deeper one, with hundreds of holes drilled through it. Or, just adding on another PVC attachment to make it taller.

Back
Top Bottom