Horn worm to chrysalis to moth...

NERVOUS

Avid Member
Last night one of the Horn worms I pupated emerged from a chrysalis in moth form! :eek:

I wasn't trying to breed Horn worms. A few worms from the first pod I purchased grew too large for my Cham to eat. So, I decided to pupate them and use the moths as feeders. Honestly, I never expected this to work... But I didn't know what else to do with these huge worms.

This is what I did: Put some crumpled paper towels inside a cheap plastic container, put the worms in the container, and left the container on top of my light fixture (for heat).

To my surprise, four of the six worms pupated! So, I replaced the crumpled paper towels with a neatly folded paper towel and put the 4 chrysalis on top of the folded paper towel. From that point forward, I didn't do anything other than lightly mist the chrysalis daily... Until one of them miraculously hatched yesterday! o_O

That is pretty cool. I know the hornworms get pretty big but how big are the moths?

The moths are huge too; especially after their wings unfold! I'd guesstimate their bodies are about 1.5" - 2" in length and 1/2" - 5/8" in width. I haven't seen the wings fully expanded yet, but they look like they could have a 3" wingspan! :eek:

I've been reading up on these moths... Interestingly enough, they're called Hawk moths and they only live for a couple days.

I have heard that chams like them. I didn't know they only live a few days. Better use them before you lose them.

I have heard that chams like them. I didn't know they only live a few days. Better use them before you lose them.

If they don't have access to nectar from a hummingbird feeder or something similar within 24 hours, they will die. They have to start eating right away or they dry out and die. Just a heads up...

If they don't have access to nectar from a hummingbird feeder or something similar within 24 hours, they will die. They have to start eating right away or they dry out and die. Just a heads up...

Thanks for the heads up... Appreciate it! (y)

So far, only 1 of 4 chrysalis have hatched... Maybe they'll all hatch on separate days so I can feed them off individually.

Thanks for the heads up... Appreciate it! (y)

So far, only 1 of 4 chrysalis have hatched... Maybe they'll all hatch on separate days so I can feed them off individually.

Yea no problem. I know a chameleon breeder near me that also breeds hornworms and was telling me how it all works when I was inquiring about how to do it myself. I've never actually had the moths myself, but the breeder I know has been breeding panther chameleons for 13 years, and has been breeding hornworms/hawk moths for a good chunk of those 13 years. She told me that if you want to breed them, they need a cage to fly around in because they need lots of room to fly, otherwise they cannot work their wing muscles properly and will just scatter around instead of flying.. Something like a 16 x 16 x 30 Reptibreeze or an 18 x 18 x 36 Reptibreeze cage would be perfect. If you are planning on feeding them right away, then keep them in whatever you want I suppose. As for them eating... they eat a nectar mix out of a hummingbird feeder, and must eat within 24 hours of hatching in order to stay alive or they will dry up and die. It can't be a mixture out of a water bowl or anything.... it's gotta be out of a hummingbird feeder (or something that is built to work very similar to a hummingbird feeder) because they eat out of flowers and such in the wild - so the hummingbird feeder mimics this.

Let us all know how your chameleon likes them! Probably won't get em all to hatch at the exact same day unless you are lucky - nature isn't always predictable. Sounds like Skittles is about to get a tasty treat though!

Back
Top Bottom