HORRIBLE Husbandry of veiled at PETCO

So I started collecting supplies for my new panther cham about 2 months ago at a petco near me. coincidently, chameleons had just become legal in MA and my local petco had just gotten it's first chameleon for sale.

His husbandry is awful. They're keeping him in a glass enclosure, with some sort of mulch looking substrate on the floor, and 1 lousy artificial vine for him to climb on. In addition to that, an employee told me they are giving him calcium WITH d3 every day (if he's even eating much). I've told them repeatedly when visiting the store that this setup will likely kill him if someone who knows how to care for him doesn't buy him soon.

Every time I return his habitat is exactly the same and his condition looks to be worse. He looks dehydrated, underweight, and looks like he's barely holding his eyes open. When I first saw him there he was energetic and seemingly healthy.

Although I'm am still a begginer keeper, It's sad and so frustrating to watch his health decline when I know at least at a basic level the huge changes that need to be made with his husbandry.

I'm sure this is something that is all too common considering the particular/ demanding care these animals need. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and been able to do anything to help..

I'm also in MA, and if I may ask what town and store are you referring to? Curious if we go to the same one, cuz I've seen a cham in the same condition at mine in Allston...

I think Petco's Facebook page (if they have one, but I guess they do) would be a great way to complain and dispense advice - FB is a public place and the customers complaining on the internet is bad for their image..

So many times over so many years I've watched the wheel get reinvented.

If Petco sucks so much, vote with your feet and don't buy a single thing from them. Seriously. Also convince your friends and family to not buy even a single buck's worth of crickets from them. Support your local independent pet stores, or learn to use the internet to purchase some supplies. Don't purchase things from stores like these and eventually they die off or change.

If Petco sucks so much, vote with your feet and don't buy a single thing from them. Seriously. Also convince your friends and family to not buy even a single buck's worth of crickets from them. Support your local independent pet stores, or learn to use the internet to purchase some supplies. Don't purchase things from stores like these and eventually they die off or change.

This! When I move to a new area I check out the independent pet shops to find the one that seems teachable. Then I start in on them...hand them info, be friendly and approachable, offer help, buy products from them, all to cultivate a decent business. I DO NOT buy ANYTHING from the big chain stores and I tell them why! Once in a while I've found one individual big chain store that happens to have a knowledgeable livestock manager who seems to care. If so, I will support them and again, tell them why.

Yes I am not a fan of purchasing from chain stores however our local Petco is great the manager owns a chameleon and two beardies and he loves reptiles he takes great care of the animals and is always talking with me about care for them. He can't do a lot but he does what he can so I give them my buisness

Yes I am not a fan of purchasing from chain stores however our local Petco is great the manager owns a chameleon and two beardies and he loves reptiles he takes great care of the animals and is always talking with me about care for them. He can't do a lot but he does what he can so I give them my buisness

It also might help to commend his attention and care to the corporate HQ. Positive feedback works too.

Back
Top Bottom