housing two veileds togeather

You would make sure they won't be able to touch this as well.

yes.... a heat source like a heat lamp or ceramic heater NEEDS to be out of reach of a cham. they should not be able to get close enough to be harmed. if you were to free range them, and 10" is a safe distance... you need to make a screen box or shield that doesn't allow the cham within 10" from any side.

If you can keep the temps right, then it'll work well. HOWEVER, if you do not have much experience with chameleons and veiled behavior especially, I woudl do this a little at a time.

Regardless, you must always have two cages as backup.

This is a really fun and interestign way to observe them more naturally. But it's a lot riskier. It's not always going to work out,a nd it poses a lot of problems. You'd have to keep a close eye on them.

I kept a trio in a 12'x'x8' cage in the spring/summer. Thep humidity was high, and the temps over 100 a few times - and they were always out in the sun. Colors like no panther could hope for!

BUT, if things are not right, if the male is not fully "socialized", he just might kill her. They need time to learn the females receptive behavior and colors. When that happenes, they won't mate unles she want sthem too. Before that, he might kill her.

it's realy neat to see real social interaction - stuff you can't see in any cage - but you have to have things right, or it's risky.

just a thought. Since it's quite a large porch. you could have each half with trees and plants with a significant space in the middle. kind of like two cages with out the screen in between. perhaps they would each stick to their own area if there is no foliage for them to climb on to cross over to the other side.:confused::confused:don't know.... just a thought.

that's part of the initial "trick". Keep them isolated in their own areas, where they'd have to get on the ground to reach each other. After a while, you'll get a better idea of what is good bad or risky. Of course, start by keeping them in separate cages within visual range.

I have seen them successfully kept in pairs/trios by a very experienced chameleon keeper.

I asked him why/how.

He said that if you get them together young and keep them around each other, they will be fine.

He also made it clear that you have to keep a constant eye, because of their individual personalities, that even when you do it right, you'll get one that is just plain mean and can't be around other chams.

If you get them very young and keep them in a smaller enclosure until they are juvies, and then release them into your big enclosure (which I hope is heavily planted), then it could work.

Personally, I'd just recommend some Meller's chameleons, they get along.

Back
Top Bottom