How do chameleons get water when in the wild?

saq99

Hello,

I found a common chameleon. At first I was thinking of keeping it as a pet. However I read how chameleon caught from the wild might die if kept in captivity. I therefore left it free in my garden. In my garden I have soil, a lemon tree, chess plants, etc. The sun reaches my garden but only for few hours a day.

Anyway, in my country at the moment it is summer. When I water the tree I usually only water the soil. However I read that chameleons drink water from top of leaves. At this time of the year there will be no water on the leaves.

Therefore I was wondering;

(a) How would a chameleon get water in summer?
(b) Should I start throwing water (with a pipe) on the leaves?

After putting it in the garden so far I did not see it again. However if I can help it survive than I'll do my best.

Last edited:
I can't tell you for certain how the get water, but is there dew (a film of water) on the leaves early in the morning before it get hot? That is how most chams I am aware of drink in the wild. I have even seen pictures of them going to a stream, but I do not think that would be what the normally do in the wild.

I can't tell you for certain how the get water, but is there dew (a film of water) on the leaves early in the morning before it get hot? That is how most chams I am aware of drink in the wild. I have even seen pictures of them going to a stream, but I do not think that would be what the normally do in the wild.

I never checked to be honest. However I can always throw water on the leaves with a pipe just in case.

Most likely the dew and condensation in the mornings. It's surprising how much water is on vegetation before air temps start to rise.

How Chameleons Get Water

Chameleon get water from the moisture on the leaves. I suggest to use a misting system in the cage so the chameleon can get something to drink.:)

There is also moisture to be found inside feeders...

I never checked to be honest. However I can always throw water on the leaves with a pipe just in case.

That's a considerate thought. Probably not necessary though it wouldn't hurt. the lizard is unlikely to come out into the open when you are there. It likely gets what it needs from dew, rain, prey and depending on the type of chameleon it may also eat leaves and fruit for moisture.

Honestly, if it's staying in your garden at this point, you could probably check it's feces every now and then to tell if he's hydrated. The little white part means he is...

There are also other ways but that's the easiest way I've found.

I don't know how they get water in the wild... I think they're native to Hawaii so they get water from the large amounts of rain there. Waterfalls and such as well...

Back
Top Bottom