How do I create drainage in a small Reptibreeze cage?

Nola - I love your idea with the vanity. I too have been pondering a setup that will drain water as fast as it falls off the plants and vines. I'm somewhat obsessed with dead water in my viv's and at this point in time I don't have a drainage system at all, but a handy, chameleon dedicated 'wet vacuum' that I use to suck up the water on a daily basis. Its a royal pain in the ass until I get my new cages.

I hate to be a pain in the arse, and I know this is the 'enclosure' section of the forum but I wonder why you only have one light for your baby? And the one light - what is it for? Basking or UVB? I would hate to see Tesla become ill from a) no basking light therefore not enough heat and, b) no UVB which will affect her health and eventually cause MBD.

Either way, you should think about your lighting requirements next...but yes! great job on the vanity!!

Oh, that's a basking bulb. I also have a Reptisun 5.0 UVB. This pic was taken a little after sundown. I clicked on the basking bulb briefly to have some lighting in order to take pics of the enclosure. I turned it on for a minute so people could better see the inside of my setup. :) Tesla slept straight through. I turned it off for the night after I took pics. I turn the basking and UVB bulb on at 7 a.m. and turn them off at 6 p.m. I was waiting for someone to notice that. :p It's good to know that everyone on here are so observant and ready to help out. Thanks.

Oh, that's a basking bulb. I also have a Reptisun 5.0 UVB. This pic was taken a little after sundown. I clicked on the basking bulb briefly to have some lighting in order to take pics of the enclosure. I turned it on for a minute so people could better see the inside of my setup. :) Tesla slept straight through. I turned it off for the night after I took pics. I turn the basking and UVB bulb on at 7 a.m. and turn them off at 6 p.m. I was waiting for someone to notice that. :p It's good to know that everyone on here are so observant and ready to help out. Thanks.

Whew! Glad I didn't step on your toes....aaaand, I may steal your vanity idea - I love it! ;)

If you heat the PVC in a sink with hot water, quickly drain the scalding hot wate , and run cold water the PVC he will retain its heated up shape. Simply bend the pvc toward the drilled drainage holes and cool with water.

I dont have a drainage system I have reptile carpet in the cages that absorbs water really well so nothing drips over the edge and it is moist to help with the humidity. BUT! big BUT! I wash and replace the carpet every 2 days to keep it clean from poop and to prevent any mold build up. Works great and no drainage:D

This is what I just built today to solve this problem. The cage is going to sit right on the screen so I can just remove the PVC bottom all together :) Just have to paint it black

Attachments

• Enclosure1.jpg
    Enclosure1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 191
  • Enclosure2.jpg
    Enclosure2.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 179
  • Enclosure3.jpg
    Enclosure3.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 184
  • TomoHand.jpg
    TomoHand.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 167
Once I get it all set up Ill post another pic. I am eventually going to put siding on it, this is just a frame but should still look decent after its painted.

Once I get it all set up Ill post another pic. I am eventually going to put siding on it, this is just a frame but should still look decent after its painted.
It's going to look awesome! Definitely post pics when you're done. :)

I have a x-large repti breeze and I drilled holes near the bottom of my biggest and heaviest plant, which makes the pvc-bottom to sunk down a little and makes the water to gather at the bottom of the plant.

You have an interfacial tension issue with the water. Hang small pieces of string through the holes and screen out the bottom. It will give the water something to latch on to and run down. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Ok here is the remaining gallery of what I did. It was fun, easy, and fairly cheap! I think after using some stuff I had lying around it only cost 20 bucks to build this!

Attachments

• TE4.jpg
    TE4.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 180
  • TE5.jpg
    TE5.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 235
  • TE6.jpg
    TE6.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 185
  • TE7.jpg
    TE7.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 174
  • TE8.jpg
    TE8.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 179
What i did was buy a wire rack set my cage on top and replace the bottom with a metal wire mesh that doesnt rust(to prevent bugs and my cham from walkin out the bottom) this way wherever the water lands it goes into a rubbermaid tub.
on the underside of the wire rack i made a v out of pastic to make sure all the water goes in the tub (because the cage is wider than my rubber maid) funny cause i used the old bottom of the cage cut in half to do so.
hope this helps i also got some pics to help visualize what im talking about lol

Where do you get a stand like that?

Why are these cages made with a PVC bottoms? It is known that chameleon enclosures need drainage to ensure the animal's health. I ordered this enclosure online and had no clue that there was a PVC bottom and that I would have to "rig" something up for drainage and hope for the best. Finding a way to catch the water isn't the problem. That's a piece of cake. It's getting it to actually drain that's the problem. Uggghhh! I may just have to buy a new enclosure with a screen bottom. :(
I drilled about 3 dozen little holes in mine and have a tray under it and works great. The only issue is the floor they give you on the xl is some weird material and it’s now warping after about a year. I’m switching to bioactive though now

Back
Top Bottom