How do I get my chameleon to eat?

Andrew27

I cant get my adult female jackson cham to eat. Igave her waxworms and crickets today and she would not eat them. She only ate like 2 crickets yesterday. I tried raising temps, bringing her outside, none of them worked. I am at a loss and I really need your guys help. This started to happen after after I moved her into a bigger cage, but that was like 2 or 3 weeks ago. She used to eat tons but now she is barely eating Please help!:eek:

Does your cham eat out of a feeder box or do feeders roam freely? It might just be a mix of factors like - nervousness because of new enclosure, or the enclosure might just be too big for it to find the crickets.

My Jackson's doesn't like to eat in front of me. I usually have to put feeders into its feeding cup and close the cage door for him to even come out from behind the leaves to check out the food.

I find what helps best for me is to put them in their outside fun cage (in my case a chicken mesh cage) with the food in a bowl after say, sunning for 20min.

I'll fill out this and post up some pictures.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 1 year, 2 month old Female Jackson chameleon. I have had her since June.

Handling - Only to clean the cage and adjust plants.

Feeding - I mainly use crickets, but I offered waxworms today and I occasionally use superworms.

Supplements -I use calstron calcium a few times a week and reptivite multivitamin with D3 once a month.

Watering - I occasionally see her drink. I mist her 3-5 times a day and I have a cool mist humidifier.

Fecal Description - Dark brown ovals, with white part sometimes with a yellow tint to it.

History - She was at a pet sore only in my state

Cage Info:

Cage Type - all screen 18x18x36

Lighting - Exo Terra 5.0 coil bulb UVB, 50 watt exo terra heat bulb.

Temperature - At night it is 65 degrees. Theday ambient is 70-76. The basking spot is 80-85
Humidity - I have an analouge hygrometer that says 70-80% during the day.

Plants - One live pothos, tons of plastic ones.

Placement - In my quiet, peaceful bedroom.

Location - Central CT

Current Problem - My chameleon is eating very little, she only ate like 2 crickets yesterday and nothing today.

Attachments

• Andrew random 121.jpg
    Andrew random 121.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 249
I'll fill out this and post up some pictures.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 1 year, 2 month old Female Jackson chameleon. I have had her since June.

Handling - Only to clean the cage and adjust plants.

Feeding - I mainly use crickets, but I offered waxworms today and I occasionally use superworms.

Supplements -I use calstron calcium a few times a week and reptivite multivitamin with D3 once a month.

Watering - I occasionally see her drink. I mist her 3-5 times a day and I have a cool mist humidifier.

Fecal Description - Dark brown ovals, with white part sometimes with a yellow tint to it.

History - She was at a pet sore only in my state

Cage Info:

Cage Type - all screen 18x18x36

Lighting - Exo Terra 5.0 coil bulb UVB, 50 watt exo terra heat bulb.

Temperature - At night it is 65 degrees. Theday ambient is 70-76. The basking spot is 80-85
Humidity - I have an analouge hygrometer that says 70-80% during the day.

Plants - One live pothos, tons of plastic ones.

Placement - In my quiet, peaceful bedroom.

Location - Central CT

Current Problem - My chameleon is eating very little, she only ate like 2 crickets yesterday and nothing today.

Another photo

Attachments

• Andrew random 154.jpg
    Andrew random 154.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 202
  • Andrew random 122.jpg
    Andrew random 122.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 159
I'm no expert but she may be gravid like others say but how exactly do you feed, by hand,, by dish,, or free roam in cage..... I too was having problems but with a male veild .......was not eating for a while .....then I figured cause you said new cage I too gave my cham a new area..... so i figured it out it all came down too he wanted to hunt not just have it sitting in from of him.........not really sure but my cham is eating back to his normal habit!!!!:)

I pretty much feed all ways. I set a bowl in there sometimes, she doesnt eat from their. hey usually get out so they free roam, and sometimes I just throw crickets in the cage. Sometimes I use tweezers, sometimes I use my hand, it really depends what mood Im in, I pretty much feed her all ways. As for pooping, I havent seen poop in about 2 days, but it might have fell in the soil of her plant or something because she has tons of foliage so I might have just not found it. She may not have pooped because she hasnt eaten much lately.

I'm no expert but she may be gravid like others say but how exactly do you feed, by hand,, by dish,, or free roam in cage..... I too was having problems but with a male veild .......was not eating for a while .....then I figured cause you said new cage I too gave my cham a new area..... so i figured it out it all came down too he wanted to hunt not just have it sitting in from of him.........not really sure but my cham is eating back to his normal habit!!!!:)

She is finally eating! I think she was just bored of crickets. I got some waxworms and she went bonkers for them! I just kept them coming, but then I realized I fed her like 7........oops:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom