How do I make my chameleon comfortable with my hand?

Mxstical

Okay so, I tried hand feeding him so so so much and I've heard people say "hand feeding is the best!" blah blah blah.. But he never takes it and I've tried so much to make him get used to my hand and I've been trying to let him get used to my hand and stuff but he just puffs up and sometimes pounces at my hand. Truthfully, It is pretty scary to be honest but hey.. I just need some help. Anything other than hand feeding? Because I want him to get used to my hand but he is just really defensive.

Mine would not hand feed right away either. I started with long tweezers, and even then sometimes I would place the feeder on the same branch as the cham with the tweezers, just to get them used to the tweezers bringing food. Once they were comfortable with eating from the tweezers, I was able to move to hand feeding. Also, knowing their favorite feeder is a bonus, mine LOVE silkies

Walk before you run, crawl before you walk. Start slow with just getting him used to your presence around his cage. When he stops reacting to you being near the cage, try feeding him with a feeder cup in your hand. If he doesnt start eating from the cup after a few minutes try again the next day until he does eat from the cup. Once he eats from the cup in your hand without hesitation, try offering feeders from your hand directly. Again, this takes a lot of time so dont get discouraged if he doesnt warm up right away.

Eventually, he will associate you and your hand with food. At this point, use a long stick and hold it in front of him and lure him onto it with a feeder in your other hand. After a lot of work, he may be willing to come out without using a stick.

Remember, every chameleon is different. Yours may never build enough trust to be handled or he may get comfortable with handling in a week or two. Key is going slowly and learn to read the animal. If hes not having it, dont force him.

Also, if its a veiled, expect mood and temperament changes as he gets older. Mine used to always come out and sit on my shoulder when I would clean his cage. Now he practically runs to me to try and bite my hands. Just me though, he lets my girlfriend take him out and with sit with her outside when its warm.

Good luck

I hand-feed mine from a paper plate because she can see the insect better. The tongs scare her a bit because they are quite long, but whenever she sees the plate she is all for it. Still a bit wary of my hand, or anything going further into her cage than a few inches, but she is getting better. When I started to hand feed her, I had to sit in front of the cage with the paper plate and a roach and just wait for about 15 minutes until she decided that you only live once and ate it. After that point, progress went very quickly and it takes seconds for her to notice and eat the feeder.

I hand-feed mine from a paper plate because she can see the insect better. The tongs scare her a bit because they are quite long, but whenever she sees the plate she is all for it. Still a bit wary of my hand, or anything going further into her cage than a few inches, but she is getting better. When I started to hand feed her, I had to sit in front of the cage with the paper plate and a roach and just wait for about 15 minutes until she decided that you only live once and ate it. After that point, progress went very quickly and it takes seconds for her to notice and eat the feeder.

That's a great idea for allowing them to zone in easier and faster!

Back
Top Bottom