How long can a Jackson's play dead?

it was most likely the sheddings and i just thought it was the real thing. I was watching a live birth on utube yesterday. that must have been an amazing site to see! I will keep you posted on the health of the one he is sending next week. thankyou so much for your help guys! i would still like to know how i can tell if he's getting sick though

Here are pictures of my pair

Attachments

• DSCN2825.jpg
    DSCN2825.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 243
  • DSCN2831.jpg
    DSCN2831.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 226
The dark coloration in your second picture definitely indicates stress.

My melleri will go dark temporarily but if it last more than a few minutes I would try to calm him down.

Following the cricket line; why were there dead crickets in his cage?

Did you buy feeder crickets or catch them wild?

How can you tell?

I was looking at the first pic you posted. I know picture quality could alter what we see online, but the cham looked pale and washed out (too hot and possibly dried out). A healthy male jax should be a rich leaf green unless really stressed. Maybe it was the angle of the photo, but I thought his body looked very thin with obvious pelvic bones and the tendons in the tail and legs prominent. It also looked as if I could see his breastbone and the abdomen looked hollow. Your newer pics were kind of blurry and hard to evaluate. A healthy cham shouldn't have collapsed like that in such a short time unless it was injured during shipping.

What does it matter if there were dead crickets in the cage? Crickets don't live all that long to begin with, so if they're bigger (and so towards the end of their life) it's not all that unusual for one to die in the cage every once in a while, especially if they've been living in the cage for a day or two. And in a chameleon cage, with the generous amounts of water (and with the cricket IQ of .5), I constantly find one or two that died just from the water. I imagine that earlier that day they must have found a little puddle and drowned in it.

Fredismyboy, this site ( http://www.geocities.com/chamjacksonii/ ) is super helpful with anything Jackson related. At this current time the site is down, but just 5 hours ago I checked it for some details I needed. If I remember correctly it has a decent health section. And as for the common problems, a quick Google search or search of this forum will give you tips on how to spot dehydration or early signs of other health problems.

And I hope others agree with me when I say that if you recieve your Jackson, and it's not a shade of green please take it to a herp vet or something. Because I have never seen that grayish yellow tone on a Jackson's and if that alone isn't a red flag, I don't know what is. I wish you the best of luck with your next one, they really are beautiful little chameleons. :)

sorry to hear about your loss man. I dont think i would deal with the same dealer either. Find a nice breader off the forum or a sponsor and get a 100% healthy one. You never know you may find a local breeder to you with know shipping involved

I emailed the dealer and asked him what could have possibly gone wrong. He said he has had two die in shipping in the past five years. This may have happened because the container he shipped mine in was bigger than the usual size he uses. This could have injured him. He was that shade of yellow-green when i got him, so I'm guessing that shipping really freaked him out. One guy told me he cleans his page with wet paper towels, i'm just wondering about any other ways you might do it. Thank you so much guys! You're all wonderful help!

Back
Top Bottom