How to breed crickets and also where to get supplements from?

Cornholio

Okay so I wanna start breeding crickets for my cham. How would I go about doing that? My local pet store sells 100 crickets for 8 dollars. How many crickets do I need to start breeding them? I figure my cham eats about 5-10 a day and I was thinking about getting 200? How long does it take to breed the crickets? And also what kind of supplements does my chameleon need. For the first week I had him everything was dusted with calcium with d3 and I haven't dusted with anything since (I've had him for less than a month). What else do I need? My local pet store has a huge selection of reptiles, everything from 2 inch geckos to six feet long snakes. Do you suppose they would have suitable supplements there? Oh and also it takes a little while for my chameleon to eat the crickets sometime so I had some flukers cricket quencher (that yellow stuff) in there and I think my chameleon has eaten some of that. Is that okay? Thanks!

Welcome to the forums. I don't recommend using the Flukers cubes. Besides being useless I have seen chameleons on here die from eating them. They were found in the autopsy. I'd keep a close eye on him and at the first sign of being ill take him to the vet ASAP.

Most local pet stores do not sale the supplement that we need for chameleons. You have to order them on line. LLLReptile has them all.

I can't help you with breeding crickets. They are so cheap on line I just buy mine from Armstrong.

You might find my blog for new keepers helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/

breeding crickets : well if you really want to breed you need supplys : first the adult container, large storage container from walmart with the lid , drill holes in the top for air, egg cartoons for hidding , food dishes like jar lids work great same for water but use cottonballs . now for the females you need somthing for them to lay there eggs in i use small flower pot water bases you knou the circle things you set the pot in to collect water you can get at any garden store mist them daily to keep moist no wet and buy a 10 gallon tank with screen lid to put the water bases in when the females have laid there egg , you will see little white things in the dirt those sre the eggs put them in the tank and mist them daily in 24 to 48 hours you should have pinheads now hears the tricky part keepin the little buggers in the tank the can cral up anything i coat the inside of my tank just under the lip with oil daily seem to work pretty goog good luck

breeding crickets : well if you really want to breed you need supplys : first the adult container, large storage container from walmart with the lid , drill holes in the top for air, egg cartoons for hidding , food dishes like jar lids work great same for water but use cottonballs . now for the females you need somthing for them to lay there eggs in i use small flower pot water bases you knou the circle things you set the pot in to collect water you can get at any garden store mist them daily to keep moist no wet and buy a 10 gallon tank with screen lid to put the water bases in when the females have laid there egg , you will see little white things in the dirt those sre the eggs put them in the tank and mist them daily in 24 to 48 hours you should have pinheads now hears the tricky part keepin the little buggers in the tank the can cral up anything i coat the inside of my tank just under the lip with oil daily seem to work pretty goog good luck
24 to 48 hours? I've done my research and from every where I looked it's norepinephrine like 7 to 14 days. What kind of crickets are you talking about?

Welcome to the forums. I don't recommend using the Flukers cubes. Besides being useless I have seen chameleons on here die from eating them. They were found in the autopsy. I'd keep a close eye on him and at the first sign of being ill take him to the vet ASAP.

Most local pet stores do not sale the supplement that we need for chameleons. You have to order them on line. LLLReptile has them all.

I can't help you with breeding crickets. They are so cheap on line I just buy mine from Armstrong.

You might find my blog for new keepers helpful. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
wait do you mean chams have died by eating the crickets who ate flukers or died by eating the cubes alone?

wait do you mean chams have died by eating the crickets who ate flukers or died by eating the cubes alone?

The cubes are not digested nor able to pass through the chameleon. One chameleon died when part of the cube was stuck on a cricket that he eat and another keeper put some of the cubes in the chams enclosure to feed the uneaten crickets in the enclosure and when the chameleon shot a cricket he also got one of the cubes. They are bad news and I don't recommend using them.

The cubes are not digested nor able to pass through the chameleon. One chameleon died when part of the cube was stuck on a cricket that he eat and another keeper put some of the cubes in the chams enclosure to feed the uneaten crickets in the enclosure and when the chameleon shot a cricket he also got one of the cubes. They are bad news and I don't recommend using them.
Nuff said! Sorry miss Jannb I was mistaken. Personally I only feed my crickets collard greens and carrots. I was just assuming and we know what that does. :)

I get 500 1/2 inch crickets delivered free in two days from many sellers on eBay for $15 to $17. They are guaranteed alive if you pick them up at the Post Office [by choosing "Hold at Post Office", and send them your phone number in the eBay message to seller during payment, so that the PO will call you when they are ready for pick up].

Back
Top Bottom