How to make terrarium backgrounds

I wonder about this too. From my initial terrarium style set up , the background is a slab of compressed styrofoam that has been carved,(dissolved?) for contour. Question is what next? It has some painted surface material - very well bonded/melded to its surface. So what about toxicity? there are baby -proof paints... That other picture you posted of the super corner-unit cage really does fire up the imagination for objects to be embedded in the background: patterns, perches, food, water falls, planters..
I've just moved my Veiled up to a large all screen cage with lots of plants, but still it lacks something.
I hope you get some more responses, Wendy

Have you tried Great Stuff (expandable foam) from homedepot. Cut a piece of egg crate light difusser thing and cut it the size of you're background spay it with GS and let it dry. Keep doing that until you achieve the look you're looking for. Next get some black silicon and spread it all over the cured GS and then either cover the GS with coco husk or whatever you choose to use.

I use calk to hold coco fiber that comes in rolls for putting into pots for plants and glue it to the back. It looks great and gives them something to climb on. I got the idea from Chamelisa from her website Chameo.org. I also use Great Stuff, as someone mentioned, to make ridges and you can place rocks and bark in there and when it dries it looks great. You will wait to keep washing it to remove any sort of toxic components, and you will also want to pain it. I tried covering it with sand hoping the sand would stick, but it didn't. Using safe, non-toxic paint is the best, unless you don't mind the natural yellow color.

Back
Top Bottom