How to prevent damage to hardwood floors from misting system?

TortoiseAvenger

Hello everyone!

I have my mistking system set up on the ceiling to spray down on my free range. However some of the water is getting on the floor. I can't shorten the duration, otherwise my humidity drops. Of course, I could shorten the duration and get a humidifier in addition, but I'd like to avoid this. Does anyone have any idea on how to avoid damage to my hardwood floors? Currently I have a fan set on them which seems to dry all of the mist within about a half an hour. My misters go off about every three hours. You think this would be alright? What might my other options be?

The easiest thing to do (though it may not be the prettiest) would be to lay down a plastic tarp like painters use under the misters. If you want a more permanent and aesthetically pleasing fix, you could marine varnish your hardwood floor :)

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll do I have to do, but refinishing the floors would mean that I have to remove all my chameleons and plans to do it for a few days. The plastic might work, but I know from experience that if any water happens to get under the plastic then it sits there and you get real damage! I figured by having the floors exposed, they might be able to "breathe" and this might be a better situation. I also thought about putting plywood sheet down...

I don't know if it's the same as a water containment mat, but I used to use a tray that you'd put a washer on - they cost around $20 at the big box floors. They aren't the prettiest around, but they are big enough, and have sides, so the water is contained, and can't seep under the mat. You definately want to do something - here in FL our humidity is so high that water+hardwood floors = mold and buckling floorboards.

I use a Pro-Mist, so the mist is controlled, and not terribly widespread. Could you narrow the beam so to speak on your mister? Also, can you angle it differently (am sure you've thought of these things, but they are just popping into my head as I type). I have my 24x24x48 cages on plastic utility sinks, and there's a hole at the bottom to drain into a bucket - perhaps you might invest in a set up like that, so you don't have to worry as much. Good luck, but if I were you I wouldn't just rely on a fan :D

I'm new to the chameleon pet world. I just took bags (used for transporting fish), cut them into strips, and attached them to the back of my open air cage. I also placed them under the cage. I'm not sure how advisable this is, I'm testing it out tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

Not to chime in with useless information, but this is something I've always wondered about free range setups. How do people contain the water run off?

Not to chime in with useless information, but this is something I've always wondered about free range setups. How do people contain the water run off?

How can you possibly do it???

Free range would equal divorce in my house! My wife is cool but not that cool. :eek:

The enclosures aren't the problem. I don't get much water coming out of the enclosure from the sprayer system. The screen seems to catch most of the overspray and it just forms droplets on the screen. Not much gets out. The problem seems to be mostly in the free range. Not sure what I'm going to do., But I'm very thankful for the suggestions!

can you just not mist in the free range? Put them back in the cage when misting time comes around. Leave the free range a water free zone.

I don't mist when my Jax free ranges. Typically he is out only for a few hours at a time, though. If that's case, I think you will be fine without misting. If your cham is free ranging semi permanently, then you definitely need water and the proper lighting.

I ended up getting "marine vinyl" fabric to line the floor. As easy as plastic, but more attractive. It's still a work in progress, but for the moment I am satisfied.

I use large leafy plants around my misting heads so the leafs catch the mist overspray and prevent it from hittting my wood floors. The mist is obviously very fine with mistking heads, so if a ceiling fan is running with the mister on, it will blow the mist around and cause more of a overspray problem.

Leland

This is how I do it. Focuses the mist in a tighter pattern to prevent the wide angle spray, also has the benefit of creating rain drops instead of just mist.
1/2 tight mist, 1/2 rain:) If you had some pics of your setup I might have some other ideas. Ideally none of the mist will make it to the floor, sometimes you have to use panels, plastic etc.

Attachments

• DSC00564.JPG
    DSC00564.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00565.JPG
    DSC00565.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 155
Back
Top Bottom