Hypermelanistic Yemen Chameleons (Veiled)

milo43

We have recently had 25 stunning little Hypermelanistic Yemens Hatch.
We are of the belief these may be only in the UK??? Let me know if there is anymore out there? The Black Pigmentation is Recessive.
I have below pictures of Dad...."Minstrel" and a few of the babies.......

Let me know what you think of them.....:)

Attachments

• DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 463
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 466
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 403
Certainly a bold looking lizard, quite striking. Baby looks odd but interesting. Very nice. :)
p.s nice to see another tiny veiled, can hardly beleive my guy was once that small, looking at your pics just reminded me.
Boy they grow fast. :)

The guy who posted this thread is in the UK too I believe: https://www.chameleonforums.com/vieled-moprhs-3641/

Chris

Hi chris

Yes that is young Luke..........he sold me Minstrel sometime ago and we have been lucky ...... VERY lucky to stumble across a female with the smallest streak of black in her side....barely even noticeable, thought just a normal...... Luke is still working with the cams and I believe currently has none available, I have contacted him re: our hypers.......
We will be seeing how we go with the Hypers x Piebalds as well....
Still after some Aqua Blues from Europe.

Cheers :)

Certainly a bold looking lizard, quite striking. Baby looks odd but interesting. Very nice. :)
p.s nice to see another tiny veiled, can hardly beleive my guy was once that small, looking at your pics just reminded me.
Boy they grow fast. :)

I know....it is incredible, you open the box in the incubator and look and out of the corner of your eye you see a tiny tiny little cam and think he is so small, how will I pick him up! I think they are amazing and yes, they grow up so quick!

man, you guys across the pond have some pretty awesome looking veileds! if i had the money i would help the states catch up :) i'm hoping my third generation of veiled has some cool patterns, but nothing like what you got!

Hmmm....

I wonder... You say the female has only a streak of black. Could Molly be hypermelanistic? I live in the USA.

Attachments

• DSC00446-1.jpg
    DSC00446-1.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC00448-1.jpg
    DSC00448-1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 192
  • DSC00450-1.jpg
    DSC00450-1.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC00452-1.jpg
    DSC00452-1.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 252
pssh, i took a look at emmit at FL chams. i think you right that he's got the trait, but nowhere near as much of it. but it proves we got them in the states :) but i wouldn't call a few bars of black hypermelanistic... just regular type. i cant get over how cool those babies look! they're the real deal

you mkentioned a faint black line across the side....my chams have that...i thought that was normal?

The black line across the side is common and normal. The difference is the vertical black outlining along the bars, prominent black all over the body and black all over the tail. Post a photo but you likely do not have an animal with this trait.

I wonder... You say the female has only a streak of black. Could Molly be hypermelanistic? I live in the USA.

No, your chameleon (Molly) is a normal veiled.

Does the Emmit breeder veiled from flchams count as the same thing?

pssh, i took a look at emmit at FL chams. i think you right that he's got the trait, but nowhere near as much of it. but it proves we got them in the states :) but i wouldn't call a few bars of black hypermelanistic... just regular type. i cant get over how cool those babies look! they're the real deal

No, it isn't proof of anything. Emmit is a striking animal but the dark bars are common and normal. "Emmit" does not have the trait shown in these animals. Look at the tail of the male posted in this thread.

Chris

Those veileds are so crazy looking, i love em! I want to see one crossed with a tranny. Would the traits mix? Not to familiar with morphs/traits. Also are there any albino veileds yet?

No, it isn't proof of anything. Emmit is a striking animal but the dark bars are common and normal. "Emmit" does not have the trait shown in these animals. Look at the tail of the male posted in this thread.
how is that not the same trait, but at a lesser extent? wouldn't that be the same thing as high and low end translucents? just because its not uncommon doesn't unmake what it is.

how is that not the same trait, but at a lesser extent? wouldn't that be the same thing as high and low end translucents? just because its not uncommon doesn't unmake what it is.

The coloration seen in Emmit is an example of the natural variation within the normal range of color and pattern in Ch. calyptratus. The hypermelanistic trait seen in this line from England is a genetic mutation (just like the translucent/piebald morph) and Emmit is not an example of it.

The translucent trait is a codominant trait. This means that if either parent gave the offspring the allele for the trait, the offspring will exhibit the trait. The low-end translucents are heterozygous carriers of that mutation, meaning that only one parent gave them the mutated allele while the high-end translucents are homozygous for the mutation, meaning that both parents gave them the mutated allele.

The hypermelanistic trait is a recessive trait that has only been seen in this one line of animals. This means that in order to show the trait, the animal must be homozygous for the trait and both parents would have had to have the genes for it. In other words, there is no low-end hypermelanistic like the translucent morph. The animal may show less of the dark patterning but it still has the genetic mutation from both parents and this mutation is only known from bloodlines in England.

Chris

The animal may show less of the dark patterning but it still has the genetic mutation from both parents and this mutation is only known from bloodlines in England.

Chris

Is there something in the water or just happens that the veileds that were imported, had this trait and because there aren't a lot of veileds bred there, it is more prevalent in the gene pool? (I am assuming the gene pool is small since It doesn't seem like that many people keep chameleons there?)

OC water

I'm working with a few variant veils. Pictured is black lines and dots baby. Mixing and mating veils with similar traits at the moment. Will have to see what developes in time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom