I don't know what's going on

LuisR2131

I have a question about a 2 month and 8 month veiled. My 2 month old is always bright green and eats alot. But I ocassionaly see her opening her mouth and leaving it open. I mist her and also leave ice cubes on top of the cage for her to drink from. Why would she be doing this. My 8 month old with the bigger cage has stopped eating crickets. He eventually eats them but if I put 4 in a day there will be 2 left the next day. He will usually eat the worms that I put in there pretty quick. Why would he not be eating the crickets?

Ok, what are the temps of the cage and basking spot for the 2 month old. sounds like your temps could be too hot maybe, either that or sometimes they get Repiratory infections and need to gape to get air. Temps are critical and you can fry the little guys!!! As far as the 8 month old. No concern really that he won't eat crickets! There are so many people including myself whose chams will not eat crickets as they get older. Mine stopped at about 8 months also. You have to find alternative feeders. Mine got a taste of the worms and slowly quit eating crickets!

This is the enclosure I have her in. I have to buy a new temperature gage because I got one of those cheap ones before I heard about the electronic ones. The ones I have say it's about 90 degrees.

Attachments

• DSC00133.jpg
    DSC00133.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 103
Babies should be kept at around 80 degrees in the hotest part of the viv until 6 months old when the temp can be slowly increased for males. More live plants would give the baby more places to hide and cool off. Baby chameleons are not able to thermoregulate like adult can and should be kept cooler.

One more comment...I think you could use a branch or two running horizontal in the cage so that the chameleon could get more of the good of the space and the light.

Last edited:
OH MY!!! You are roasting you're poor little guys, PLEASE get rid of that huge dome light fixture and get a smaller one for the size of that enclosure. Are you using that to keep the temp correct? I would suggest a basking area and more vines in different areas of the enclosure...

Back
Top Bottom