I have fallen in love....please help

I agree with carton and carol. If you do a bit more research and set aside the money, go right ahead because he looks very healthy. The insects are impossible to avoid as they naturally depend on insects for food as it's the circle of nature in that case while it's not the circle of nature to feed a chameleon, say, a pinkey mouse.

It makes me feel better to know that perhaps the screaming and the banging on his glass aren't upsetting him. If I was the pet shop owner I would be reprimanding out of control children, the whole thing just grates I suppose.

Deep down I know I cannot care for this darling. I know checking up on him is going to make me sad but I feel I have to. As I said, please feel free to PM if you know what you are doing and you can offer a good home.

Thank you to everyone replying, it is reassuring to have experienced voices telling me to leave Cham be! xx

Well I got quiet excited, as I was reading this thread. :)
I wouldn't be in your shoe that's for sure. I agree with Carlton, but I know (or I should say we all know) how hard it can be for you.
If it helps with the insect issue: we love the cute birds too and they eat our beautiful chameleons in the nature (for example)... This is life.
But the most important thing is that buy this little guy only if you feel nothing can stop you!
I wish you the best!

Once this one sells don't go back to the pet store because they will have another one suffering the same ridiculous husbandry and care. It's the circle of business life. I really think this is one of those situations where it rips your heart apart, just like punishing your kids, but is needed in order to stop the behavior.

I think if you're willing to put in the time and money, you should get a chameleon. :) My veiled was my first reptile, you just have to do the research (this place is THE place to learn), and get over the bug thing. Once you have everything setup properly, they're not difficult to care for.

I don't like condemning animals to death either. Moths are my favourite insect, but for the sake of my cham, I've mustered up what it takes to feed him hornworms - which are cute caterpillars that turn into cool little moths. Same with silkies - those moths are way too cute :D I like to think of it in a couple different ways. Most insects do not have brains like the mammals we think of - they don't have emotions and do not feel sorry for themselves, or their suddenly missing mates. If anything, with all the different types of food you have to feed these darn things, you'd be giving them a great quality of life before the inevitable happens.

Nature is a beautiful but crazy biotch, but without her and her ways, we and the animals we love so dearly wouldn't exist. The ultimate goal of a good chameleon owner is to emulate as natural an environment as we can. That includes feeding bugs.

The cool thing about veileds is that a lot of them will eat vegetation. Mine loves strawberries, and will take small slices of it right out of my fingers. It's so funny :p

Back
Top Bottom