I need help with these hoes!

Chase

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hello all!
Well as some of you may know I purchased some juvinile hoehnelli. My question is, for those of you who have raised them from birth, what are some tips you can give me to make sure these little hoes are healthy and grow nice.

Thanks,
LPR08

Hello all!
Well as some of you may know I purchased some juvinile hoehnelli. My question is, for those of you who have raised them from birth, what are some tips you can give me to make sure these little hoes are healthy and grow nice.

Thanks,
LPR08

sound like a pimp in need! LMAO..sorry couldnt help it

and wish i could help but i was all jacksons for live bearers..

(almost got a female from a shop close by..then the day i went into get her, she gave birth the night before, and they just had babies for sale...DAMNIT!!!):D

i wonder if the ladies on this forum find that offensive? haha maybe the noobs.

all in fun though and a great nickname, they've been called "hoes" for a while, and it's nice to see a lot of pimps and pimpettes working with them, they are great looking chameleons

Hello all!

Thanks,
LPR08

Where do you live? If you have outdoor keeping opportunities then there are enormous opportunities for you and your hoehnelli! They are GREAT outdoor species! And it is amazing how easy it is to keep them healthy with the right set up.

I live in Florida. The next week is supposed to not get higher than 87. It's supposed to rain everyday for the next week, so it probably will be cooler than that. Is that still within a good temp they could go out in?

LPR08

I live in Florida. The next week is supposed to not get higher than 87. It's supposed to rain everyday for the next week, so it probably will be cooler than that. Is that still within a good temp they could go out in?

LPR08

What are the annual temperature extremes in your area? Honestly, if you set them up right they can be outdoors all year in many areas. You have to be careful with babies, though as an outdoor cage big enough to allow all the gradients is also big enough that you will not see babies!
If they are outside, one way to make sure they get enough food is to set a bowl of fruit in their cage with a way that fruit flies can get in and they will have a constant food source until they put a little size on them. Put them somewhere where they get morning sun and afternoon shade with regular misting while it is above 80 and the indirect sunlight will give them the UVB they need.
Your biggest challenge at this age is making sure they are fed and that they don't get too hot. Give them a big enough cage that the have warm and cool areas and they will take care of temperature regulation themselves. Have numerous fruit bowls and they will take care of food as well.
Have the cage well planted so they can hide when they want to.
Just make sure they get hydrated! I have automatic misting systems going on all my outdoor setups.
Good luck, they are a great species and very hardy! They can handle the low temps. In a Florida summer you have to worry about the high side of the scale.

What are the annual temperature extremes in your area? Honestly, if you set them up right they can be outdoors all year in many areas. You have to be careful with babies, though as an outdoor cage big enough to allow all the gradients is also big enough that you will not see babies!
If they are outside, one way to make sure they get enough food is to set a bowl of fruit in their cage with a way that fruit flies can get in and they will have a constant food source until they put a little size on them. Put them somewhere where they get morning sun and afternoon shade with regular misting while it is above 80 and the indirect sunlight will give them the UVB they need.
Your biggest challenge at this age is making sure they are fed and that they don't get too hot. Give them a big enough cage that the have warm and cool areas and they will take care of temperature regulation themselves. Have numerous fruit bowls and they will take care of food as well.
Have the cage well planted so they can hide when they want to.
Just make sure they get hydrated! I have automatic misting systems going on all my outdoor setups.
Good luck, they are a great species and very hardy! They can handle the low temps. In a Florida summer you have to worry about the high side of the scale.

Ok. Thanks for the info! Their cage temps have been in the mid 70's, and I have sprayed them 3 times today. They've all eaten, and they are now getting ready to go to sleep, so I am leaving them alone for the night. I am going to adjust their enclosure tomorrow, as I think they are a tad warm, they have been dark pretty much all day.

LPR08

LPR08

off topic, but wow 87 in Flordia im hittin 90 plus eveyday, and im in canada
makes it hard to keep the montanes happy;):rolleyes:

here in indiana the temps be fluxin between mid 80's to high 90's. i did have my bitches outside for a bit but they are now in da crib. When kept outside they only see approx 3 hours of morning and a 3 hours in the evening sun. the water pumps run for 15 minutes extra each session when the temps raise above mid 80's. ya feel me?

while young they love hiedi FF's, house flies, 1-2 week old crickets.

try and keep the humidity up.

Last edited:
Good point! Gotta love ghetto slang!:D Sad thing is that 17 yeas ago I had to pimp out my female veiled, did not have the male.

Sounds like pimp down r pimp n distress. :eek:

Hope u get help wit them hoes. :D

It is 2 hot 4 hoes outside. :mad:

You gotta love that "skreet" talk. :p

keep it pimp'n big pimp'n :cool:

peace

All jokes aside.....I had to read this thread. I said to myself......WHO YOU CALLIN A HOE? I'm cool now for the most part.

I would only be repeating DeremensisBlue's excellent advice.

I'm a sweep net advocate - so my babies have seen lots of leaf hoppers, small spiders, and flies and I feel that this nutritional diversity has been good for them. They are outside full time in the summer, but my temps at 6,000 feet are 85 max down to the 50's and even 40's at night. Keep some part of their outside cage with near constant mist and some shade. Choices with respect to food, basking sites, and water sources are good for all chams. Pictures?

Back
Top Bottom