I rescued a velled chameleon and need help

Dena fay

He is not wanting to be held not very happy at all I don't know how many owners he's been through he's fully grown I'm debating on whether to put him outside and under my patio or to keep him inside I need tips on how to handle him cuz he doesn't want to be taken out of the cage at all is a fountain a good thing to keep in the cage and whatever anybody can help me without with as useful tips would be greatly appreciated this is my first time I've ever had one of these

He is not wanting to be held not very happy at all I don't know how many owners he's been through he's fully grown I'm debating on whether to put him outside and under my patio or to keep him inside I need tips on how to handle him cuz he doesn't want to be taken out of the cage at all is a fountain a good thing to keep in the cage and whatever anybody can help me without with as useful tips would be greatly appreciated this is my first time I've ever had one of these
I just rescued one, too. They do not like being held - it's not just your chameleon. If you just got him, try to leave him alone for a while. He really needs time to decompress and get used to his new surroundings.

I really recommend checking out some helpful YouTube videos. I found Neptune the Chameleon and Chameleon Academy videos to be the most helpful. And make sure to check out the care sheet for your chameleon type in this forum (look under the Resources dropdown above). The care sheet really does have everything you need to get you started. :)

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Chameleons do best in a 24” 24” 48” cage with lots of natural plants and branches. They need a T5 HO linear uvb bulb with a white heat bulb and need to be fed a variety of live insects. I agree with checking out Neptune the chameleon and chameleon academy. Fountains are not recommended for chameleon cages as they often get full of bacteria.

Attachments

• 877FB28F-9519-49E5-9B8A-FB8242BD0777.jpeg
    877FB28F-9519-49E5-9B8A-FB8242BD0777.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DB4DBFFC-B35B-4F9F-A109-6E29DBE77842.jpeg
    DB4DBFFC-B35B-4F9F-A109-6E29DBE77842.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 99CC910F-3559-4FDC-A71C-64F23BE87F80.png
    99CC910F-3559-4FDC-A71C-64F23BE87F80.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • EA97E7A1-58AE-4CE5-B4D2-C077DD07F548.png
    EA97E7A1-58AE-4CE5-B4D2-C077DD07F548.png
    853.5 KB · Views: 13
Hello and welcome to the forum! If you could fill out this form we can help you give your boy the best life possible!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

If you can share photos of your chameleon and its enclosure that would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom