New family member! Help making him feel at home, please!

Did your chameleon have any symptoms?
They can have a parasite load without any noticeable symptoms. If the parasite load is bad an experience keeper will see the outward signs such as lack of appetite, lethargy, and being underweight for age. But you do not see these signs if they have a low parasite load. So you want to get a fecal sample to rule out a parasite load, I would personally do 2 at least like 3 weeks apart when they come into your home. Not all parasites are the same and neither is the cleaning required to get rid of the eggs that come out in the fecal that they can recontaminate themselves with.

@elizaann2 has a vet list she can share with you. I have tagged her so she will get this notification.

Per the new cage get it totally set up before moving him over. BUT I would get a fecal tested first to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load if he is you do not want to contaminate the new cage.

As soon as you get the new lighting you can put that on the current cage. for a 5.0 uvb T5HO fixture you want it set on the cage top then measure down 8-9 inches this is where you want horizontal branches directly parallel with the fixture. This will put him in the correct UVI.

Supplements would be calcium without D3 at all feedings and then multivitamin 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. You want to lightly dust the insects. they should not look like powdered donuts.
Hello All! I'm sorry life has been busy again. Attached you will find our vet list.

Attachments

• Chameleon Forums Vet List 2024 U.S.A..pdf
    157 KB · Views: 31
Great news, everybody! (Sort of) Karma is parasite free! The vet said he has some old breaks in his legs and is severely calcium/D3 deficient. He is very underweight for a one-year-old (only 35 grams). He's eating everything I put in front of him, and his color has been beautiful! He even let me hold him without hissing or darkening his color! I'm a proud and happy mama!

Attachments

• Karma 6_20_24.jpg
    Karma 6_20_24.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 15
Hi! I haven’t chimed in here because I didn’t have anything to add, but I’ve been following this post. I just want to say welcome to you and Karma. I thought it might provide you a little comfort to know that a year ago, I was in the exact same position you are in. I adopted my guy from someone who no longer wanted him. He was in the death kit. No supplements, underweight, and had MBD. I had little knowledge about him and what he needed. I am glad to say with all the lovely people here and a liquid calcium prescription, my little noodle is thriving today. You’d never know he had MBD, aside from his crooked casque.

Be patient and give yourself grace. You are already doing everything you can for this guy. The road for recovery can take some time. Spaghetti’s took several months. I will warn you though, as he begins to feel better he may become a bit spicy 😂 Spaghetti had little issues with me before he recovered, but once he got his energy back…..boy is he a grump. Still has his quirks and doesn’t act like a typical veiled, but definitly is a grumpy guy!

Hi! I haven’t chimed in here because I didn’t have anything to add, but I’ve been following this post. I just want to say welcome to you and Karma. I thought it might provide you a little comfort to know that a year ago, I was in the exact same position you are in. I adopted my guy from someone who no longer wanted him. He was in the death kit. No supplements, underweight, and had MBD. I had little knowledge about him and what he needed. I am glad to say with all the lovely people here and a liquid calcium prescription, my little noodle is thriving today. You’d never know he had MBD, aside from his crooked casque.

Be patient and give yourself grace. You are already doing everything you can for this guy. The road for recovery can take some time. Spaghetti’s took several months. I will warn you though, as he begins to feel better he may become a bit spicy 😂 Spaghetti had little issues with me before he recovered, but once he got his energy back…..boy is he a grump. Still has his quirks and doesn’t act like a typical veiled, but definitly is a grumpy guy!
Thank you so much for sharing! It gives me hope that he'll keep getting better! This forum and the folks on it have been lifesavers. I'm so grateful for all the support and advice. I'd be lost without it.

Karma definitely has attitude, with his little hiss LOL. He has some old bone breaks and that may have something to do with why he doesn't like to be handled. I'm giving him space and lots of bugs. He's looking so much better. I sent pics to his previous owner and they think it's a different chameleon! They can't get over how much better he's looking.

Thanks for the encouragement 🥰

Thank you so much for sharing! It gives me hope that he'll keep getting better! This forum and the folks on it have been lifesavers. I'm so grateful for all the support and advice. I'd be lost without it.

Karma definitely has attitude, with his little hiss LOL. He has some old bone breaks and that may have something to do with why he doesn't like to be handled. I'm giving him space and lots of bugs. He's looking so much better. I sent pics to his previous owner and they think it's a different chameleon! They can't get over how much better he's looking.

Thanks for the encouragement 🥰
That is so awesome ❤️ I’m glad he’s doing better. Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom