i think i have made a mistake?

faithxw

I have two Jackson chams, both females. They were previously (before I got them) in, I would say a particularly small cage. Now that I have them, I have put them in a 3 foot tall, by 2 foot wide cage EACH. (one cage for each cham) they are only about a year old, and are about 5 inches long. Do I have too big of cages for them? Too small of cages? Opinions are helpful.. please!

I have two Jackson chams, both females. They were previously (before I got them) in, I would say a particularly small cage. Now that I have them, I have put them in a 3 foot tall, by 2 foot wide cage EACH. (one cage for each cham) they are only about a year old, and are about 5 inches long. Do I have too big of cages for them? Too small of cages? Opinions are helpful.. please!

I have heard its easier to control the temps and stuff in a smaller cage. Also have heard its better to have them in a small cage until they are around 8 months old or something like that. Im sure someone has a more accurate answer.

My adult Jackson's is in an 18x18x36 cage and he loves it. He could even use a bigger one.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I'm sure they'll do okay, I just don't want them falling off the wall or anything, lol. I have plenty of plants & things in there, I just worry about them.. they are still a little clumsy at times it seems!

Chams are the biggest goober animal ever. They'll be fine if they fall in the cage though. The biggest part about being a cham owner is worrying.

the more room for them the better. They manage just fine out in the wild, the biggest cage of all.

Calypso- yes, I have already had one fall, I was getting some crickets, with my back turned, and all.the sudden I.heard a thump.. she had fell! I started freaking out majorly.. she turned a dark color, sat still for a minute, then climbed right back up. I'm guessing she's okay.. I don't think she broke anything.. she's walking fine, etc. It just scares me.. I've heard they are pretty hardy, but they look so fragile! Please tell me that if they fall, more than likely it doesn't hurt them right?! I mean, most people have said its happened to their chams many times, and they've all been okay?

Mine fell off the top of my dresser hitting one of the knobs half way down before landing on a pile of socks. I was freaking out that the knob might have done something, but he got right back in his cage and started tearing up some butter worms like no tomorrow. They are definitely hardier than they look.

position plants and vines so when and if they do fall, they may just catch their fall before hitting the ground.

That's what I.have done.. I have a mixture of fake plants/vines/greenery, and also a real plant, pothos? Is that plant ok to have?

sometimes they fall on purpose, when they feel threatened. It usually seems completely out of the blue to us, they are funny :D They puff up to cushion the fall.

That's what I.have done.. I have a mixture of fake plants/vines/greenery, and also a real plant, pothos? Is that plant ok to have?

yep have one in my chams cage, he loves it! he particularly likes the vines the most ;) they are also pretty hard to kill, unlike a habiscus.

Back
Top Bottom