Idea for increasing humidity?

ilovereptar

So many issues!

I recently moved my 10 month old ambilobe male into a screened 24x24x36. I am having a hard time keeping the moisture levels up in the cage, right now they stay at 40% unless I have just sprayed. I can tell from his diet that my chameleon is being affected by the high temperatures and low humidity.

I am very curious about using pegboard to keep up the humidity. Although I like the idea of using pegboard, I don't see myself being able to feed Reptar superworms (his favorite) with a pegboard cage. Also, I want Reptar to be able to crawl his little heart out on whatever he desires!

Has anyone put pegboard around there screen cage to help keep a good humidity level? Are there any other things I can put around the cage to keep the humidity up?

My cages go down to 40% and my guys are fine . As long as you mist a lot and let it dry out you should be good. I have a mistking that goes off 4 times a day it goes from 40% to 99% and then back down.

Sandrachameleon has some peg board pics in her album on her profile. You can also use shower curtain and or garbage bags, a humidifier, lots of real plants. You can get pvc panels for a couple of the sides

Sandrachameleon has some peg board pics in her album on her profile. You can also use shower curtain and or garbage bags, a humidifier, lots of real plants. You can get pvc panels for a couple of the sides

All good ideas. Do some searches. There are many of these threads. I put shower curtain on 2 or three sides leaving the bottoms un-attached so there is still air flow. I put live plants towards the bottom. Keeps the humidity in the top if the cage. I also have a small humidifier hooked up to a tube that is attachedto the top of the cage that blows right into the cage.

I also use a nice green shower curtain around the back, comes halfway round to the front of the sides, if you see what I mean?? I hand mist 3xday and maintain about 60-65% humidity. (Also have 3 big live plants in there)

I'm glad that you commented on this, specifically because I live in Austin, Tx! It is just getting to hot for them is what I think is going on. I recently moved them into the garage into a remote not dusty area that I cleaned out for them, but I think the heat is just sucking dry the humidity and the %'s dont stay high long enough for them. I have a Jacksons and a Ambilobe Panther. I'm sure my veiled wouldnt have had any problem.

Ya I am going to go shopping today and buy a shower curtain, just for something immediate. Just to have a more professional looking system, I think I am going to make (for lack of better words) cubbies for my cages using the pegboard, that way I keep the humidity up, and also will have something to easier store my mistking nozzles.

i use corolplast plastic from the hardware store. its the stuff for sale signs are made of you can get big sheets and just cut it to size.

I've never heard of corolplast but when i'm at the store next time i'll check it out. Do you know if its cheaper than pegboard?

I use plexiglass on the outside of the cage so there's no glare or reflection. I have it cut to size, I drill (carefully, I shattered a couple of pieces!) Small holes and use zipties to attach to my cages around the bottom half.
Help keeps humidity up, mist spray in!
Easy to untie, wash if necessary, and put back up
Looks really clean cause you can't really see it and its cut to fit

Absolutely! And I only use two zipties, one in each top corner per piece. I also use them on my aviary cages, its amazing how much mess is eliminated with something so simple!. Oh, I also used them on my upstairs bannisters when my son was young so he couldn't stick his head thru :)
Then I did the birds, then the chams!
Hope it helps!

It does! Would you mind sharing a picture of your enclosure with the plexi surrounding it? I would just like a visual reference of what I can do with it. I really want to make a barrier for my two cages. If you were looking down on the frame, it would look like an E, 3 pieces horizontal, 1 vertical, with 2 cages between the horizontal pieces.

If I wanted to put a rod on top, is the plexi stable enough? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, but I am so very curious.

I would be happy to
I'll take a pic in the morning and post it.
The lights are out now cause of the time. And you wouldn't see anything
I understand everything but the rod, is that to hang the plexi from?

the rod would be to hang my lights from. I am using an all in one bulb with an aluminum holder. Very light wait and could be suspended from a very thin rod. Maybe 5 pounds in dispersed wait.

It is normal to see a drop in humidity between mistings. A good idea is to use a humidifier in the room and live plants in the room and cage. You could even cover one or two sides of the cage to keep moisture in. But remember, you want the cages and stuff to air out and dry up a bit between mistings.

I use a simple walgreens cool mist humidifier it cost only $30.00
I dont use all the tubing and form it to come through the top as im afraid that might being more harm than good because it is possible to cause a URI this way. I just place the humidifier about a foot away and direct the mist towards the cage. This keeps it at a steady 50% all day and then when mister goes off it spike to about 75-80%. I also use green color plastic wrap on 2 sides of cage it wasnt by choice we just had some left over from christmas and it actually looks really good. I also would like to see the plexi with the zip ties pics if you get a chance.

i also used Plexiglas glass but i just drilled holes where the screws hold the cage together and then attached it with the panel it worked great and even strengthened the cage a bit here is some pics

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2182.jpg
    IMG_2182.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom