identity.

ruru

can anyone tell me what this is and how it might be cared for?
my friend saved it, it was in shippment of charcoal from mexico....anything at all would be very helpful
whatisit..jpg

this is the only pic i have of it im sorry its not good at all.
but i cant get another, please message me with the info if you have any....i dont have internet so i can only get on about once a day from my phone to check.

Last edited:
I searched around and didn't see anything resembling this based on what is found geographically in Mexico. It certainly looks to be a type of lizard of the genus Sceloporus. They are commonly called Fence or Swift lizards here. There a few species resmbling your's from Ecuador called Spiny lizards, which are also from the genus Sceloporus. They are fairly easy to keep, as long as you provide a very warm basking spot. What does it's underside look like? Sceloporus lizards usualy have a bright color along the edge of their underside, especially males. It's usualy an electric blue.

Last edited:
thank you!! il have to look that up, im not sure what color is on it's belly i will have to find out from my friend, im hopeing that it IS in the genus your talking about so it can be kept :)

It reminds me of what we (inaccurately) call "fence lizards" here (in San Diego). I can't give you any help on what they need.

If it came from Mexico, it's not the Eastern. When I searched this the other day, Sagebrush lizard caught my eye, but was somewhat different looking, but the picture here in your link looks pretty similar. They are really easy to keep. I have bred the Eastern kind before, and I had them set up in a cage very similar to what you would keep a Bearded Dragon in. A 20 gallon long aquarium with a UVB, 85-95F basking site, some type of plants (real or fake) misted once or twice a day.

I'd used to catch those guys as a kid, still do if I see em out while hiking. We'd call them Blue Bellies. Same lizard as the link you posted. Looks like it could be one of them. If you don't want to take the time or effort to keep it, I'm sure it would do well in the wild (depending where you live).

lol the little guy is in pa now ....and theres snow on the ground i dont think he'd do to good ....told my friend how to care for it for the most part until i can completely figure out what the little guy needs to live, other then the basic food, water, temp, enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom