If your thinking about breeding crix...

After the eggs are laid, do you cover thee container they are in to keep the "soil" moist, or do you spray it every so often? I really like that idea, but just worry about everything drying out!

After the eggs are laid, do you cover thee container they are in to keep the "soil" moist, or do you spray it every so often? I really like that idea, but just worry about everything drying out!

I mist mine once a day with the same spray bottle I use to mist the cages.

Misting works best for me also. I stop once they start to hatch as not to drown any. I get the soil just damp to the touch.

Generation 8 of crickets have hatched. Total costs $6 sterilite tub, some screen?, handful of dog food ?, Some oats $2, Water crystals $4-a gal, and two dollars for the initial crix! Not bad.

Generation 9 not a success. High hatch rate high mortality rate. Generation 8 appears to have contracted the cricket virus. Same heat same cleaning methods same humidity no new variables. Outcome: Lots of barely adults becoming paralyzed and not breeding. It looks similar to an overheated cricket but as I said before nothing has changed. EXCEPT I ordered some egg crate from a cricket site and blammo death... I was really wanting to see how long I could have kept the chain of cricket life going but I think its at an end. On another note I have begun breeding lobster roaches which are taking off like nobodies business. The dream is over. 3$ at the bait store sure went a long way.

How long does it take to for the eggs to hatch??? I think im giving up to fast. I have removed the egg laying container after 4 day full of eggs to a new rubbermaind tub, but i havent seen anything hatch.

I'm breeding crix and i change the soil weekly.Higher temps speed up the life cycle.The crix species i have start to hatch in about a week kept at 30C.
I keep the temp. at 30 C for the first 3 weeks and than drop it to 25 C to slow the development to longer lived rate.I also clean the containers weekly because of the smell ... they smell pretty bad it's best to use a basement for breeding crickets

I did not have luck with bins.:confused:

Thats because they would climb up the sides.
I dried putting tape there but it did not stop them.
How do you stop this:confused::confused::confused:

Please Help,

Please Help,

Was the bin smooth on the inside? If there is a texture, they may be able t climb because of that. I use clear sterilite bins and they can't climb them.

well i use glass to make enclosure for the crickets but thats because i got it verry cheap but some of the small crickets manage to climb on the glass and i use tape ... and i don't know if there is other solution.I hope someone knows id like to know if there is another way :)

I believe if your using glass tanks you will need to tape up all the silicon corners so that they cannot climb out. I saw a video on you tube about cricket breeding and the guy used glass tanks. He said he had to use tape on all the exposed silicon areas to avoid crix escaping.

I believe if your using glass tanks you will need to tape up all the silicon corners so that they cannot climb out. I saw a video on you tube about cricket breeding and the guy used glass tanks. He said he had to use tape on all the exposed silicon areas to avoid crix escaping.

yes it is true they climb on the silicon corners but the small crickets can climb on the glass aswell :) it is best if the tape is around the entire tank

Please Help,

I've been using clear plastic bins from target or wall mart and dont have any problems with climbing the sides.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom