Im a newbie please help!!!

Doug01

So I'm pretty much as newbie as it gets at this and i have a lot questions.

1)How big of a cage do I need for a single male?
2)What plants can I use?
3)what do I use as far as a basking light and UV light (best brands)?
4)How long should the lights be on?
5)how do I know what temps are too cold for them?

What kind of chameleon do you plan on getting? There is a caresheet for the most common species that will tell you everything you need to know :)

Resources

Hey Doug welcome to the forum and to the world of Chameleons. I am fairly new here also, I learned a lot from reading the Resources tab you can find at the top of the page. There is most of the information you will need in there.

Also go to the blogs and search for specifics you need. There are great blogs on plants, feeders, and gutloading. Also many threads on lighting and plants if you use the search function.

One thing I learned early on this forum, the senior members dont really lie to answer questions you can find the answers to if you do just a little bit of research. They are very helpful here don't get me wrong but do your research first then ask more specific questions.

Hope this helps you get started.

Great, i'll be getting jacksonii xantholophus, btw where would be the best place to keep him? I plan on placing the cage outside as much as possible since I live in Hawaii.

FLChams has a great list of plants that are safe for chameleon enclosures. I would definitely consult this list before buying any live plants!

I also have another question, as far plants go how do I keep the large plants from getting to big? Won't continuous cutting kill it since i'm keeping it smaller than it should be?

I also have another question, as far plants go how do I keep the large plants from getting to big? Won't continuous cutting kill it since i'm keeping it smaller than it should be?
I'm not 100% on this as I'm not too well-read on plant care, but I have a Schefflera/umbrella plant, which is supposedly pretty resistant when it comes to trimming. I haven't had a problem with it after trimming it a few times.

I'm no expert on plants but I've taken a few classes at school, and it shouldn't kill the plant. Plants are kind of like goldfish. If you keep the pot small and trim the plant, it should be fine.

Trimming something like a schefflera or ficus every once in awhile to keep it in a manageable size for you enclosure will do nothing except make it "bush" out a bit more over time. You won't kill it.

I took my first communion in Koneohe. Welcome, and have fun.

Or could I just hang them from a small pot? Although i'm still wondering on how it grows potless. Also what viatamin supplements will I need to get?

Jacksons are more sensitive to supplementation. For my Jackson I use rep cal calcium w/o D3 2 times weekly. I then use rep cal calcium w/ D3 and multivitamin once a month. Some people recommend the rapeshy all in one supplement but I have no experience with it.

Back
Top Bottom