Im new and need pointers

Spentar

Ive never owned a reptile before. Ive owned fish, and a dog. So im very new to something like this. I like the idea of a chameleon because they just seem neat. Im probally going to a pet store to take a look at one and stuff but i would like to get some knowledge before hand. I need to have a list of everything i need to take care of it like Food, Habitat, Cage, Lights, Care. I dont want to get ripped off on the cage and everything so can maybe someone help me know whats a good deal and stuff. I would like to know what breed would best suit a beginner. I would prefer something that i could keep in a smaller cage. I like the Jackson Chameleon, I dont know if that would suit me though. So if your a nice person who can help please feel free to help me:).

I'm on my phone, so I can't post up all of the links that are helpful. I'm sure you'll be bombarded with posts! ;) I suggest veiled, panther or Jackson as fairly tolerant Chams to "start" with. No particular order. You will need a bigger enclosure depending on age and breed. Most suggest no smaller than 24x24x48. I'll let others chime in! Welcome and we like peeps that research before hand! :D

Could i do something like have a cage thats alot more talll than wide? Also as far a watering goes. Because its my first could i get by with using a spray bottle to keep him moist?

Hello and Welcome to the Chameleon forum! You went to the correct place, many of us have good experience and will be able to lead you in the correct direction. I will make a list of things that you should buy before getting your chameleon.

1. UVB light: Many members use either the repti-glo 5.0(coil) or the repti-glo 10.0(tube) either one will be sufficient. Another brand of the UVB bulbs are repti-sun and Arcadia. Arcadia being the best of all of them is a little more expensive than both repti-glo/repti-sun but for a good reason; its output is a bit higher. YOu have to have a UVB bulb for these guys or else they develop Metabolic Bone Disease which can be fatal if going long enough without it. (also need a light fixture)

2. Basking Light: Now for this really you do not have to get the fancy bulbs at the store. Most of the time a regular 75 watt house bulb will do great and be a lot less expensive than a basking bulb you will need. You also need a basking bulb fixture for it, I recommend just going to walmart and getting a utility lamp for about 6 dollars, that is what I use and it is great.

3. Enclosure: Many people on the forum will tell you screen is the best way to go. For the most part I agree. But honestly you can go either way with your enclosure. Some use glass, others use screen cages. I personally use a screen cage and it is awesome. I have a reptibreeze cage but their are several brands that I will link for you in a second to look at. Screen cages also give superb custom features that you can put in yourself such as drainage in the bottom that a glass terrarium would not unless you order a custom one or customize it yourself. As for glass terrariums I would highly recommend Exo-Terra if you are going that direction. They give enough air flow and I personally like the way they keep the humidity. You also want a vertical enclosure because they are arboreal creatures and spend most of their time off the ground and in the trees.

http://www.diycages.com/15201/15922.html
http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Repti...=1344914378&sr=8-1&keywords=repti+breeze(This one is the one I have, you do not want to go that big at first unless you are purchasing an older chameleon)
Those are some examples of places that have screen cages. Here are some eco-terra ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Terra-High-Gl...r=1-1&keywords=exo-terra+glass+terrarium(very expensive but they are very nice enclosures, this is probably the size you would get when getting your chameleon)

4. Misting system: A lot of members use a misting system to keep up on two things; Humidity and hydration, both of which are extremely important. Many people prefer a Mistking which runs around $100.00. By no means do you HAVE to have them but it makes your life easier as well as the upkeep of humidity and such. You also have the option of several other misters including a spray bottle. I use this method currently as I do not have a automated mister myself. Works just fine I have no problems with it. Along with a misting system you should have a drip system. Now you can purchase the little or big dripper and have it done the easy way or you can do the other easy method in which you just poke a hole in the bottom of a plastic bottle or cup and let it drip into your enclosure.

5. Decor for inside the enclosure: I currently, along with a lot of other members use a mix of live plants as well as fake plants for our enclosures. I have a ficus benjamina tree that I use. Many people recommend the real plants because they keep up the humidity and help with things such as foliage. You want a lot of foliage, not so much that you cannot find your chameleon obviously but enough for it to sit comfortably within and not have to worry about things like predators(if only they knew we were trying to help :D) lol I have a bunch of fake leaves, branches, and vines in mine that work very well as climbing structures as well as foliage. You will learn what is enough as you get further into keeping.

6. Supplements: THis is a huge one that some novice keepers don't learn much about. Supplements are very important to maintain a healthy chameleon because they do not get all the outdoor exposure that they would in the wilderness. You will need PLAIN, PLAIN PLAIN calcium without D3 in it for every single feeding. Then twice a month you should dust your feeders in a calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin. For a multivitamin I use Herptivite and for a calcium with D3 I use flukers brand. They both work very well.

And for the most part that covers a lot of it. Now I will post a blog for you to read so that you can learn about basic care for your chameleon if you happen to get one. I highly recommend going with a Male Veiled or Male Jacksons chameleon if you are a beginner like you say. They will be the easiest to care for and you won't have to worry about things like infertile clutches that a female Veiled would produce.

here is the blog:https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

PLease look over that blog she will explain it all to you as far as care goes. I hope this helps! :D

Could i do something like have a cage thats alot more talll than wide? Also as far a watering goes. Because its my first could i get by with using a spray bottle to keep him moist?

Taller is ALWAYS the way to go. 24x24x48 is width x depth x height.

Watering can be with a hand mister, dripper or auto mister.

I know this could very well vary but around how much money should i be looking to spend in when i start out?

Oh jeez lol that is a good question. Honestly anywhere from 200-300 including the chameleon if you go to a pet store. If you buy the stuff before you get the chameleon it will be a lot cheaper online or from amazon or ebay. Except the mistking for sure lol :D

I know this could very well vary but around how much money should i be looking to spend in when i start out?

For EVERYTHING? Including the cham? Or just accessories?

Cage +/- $100
Light fixtures +/- $20
Bulbs +/- $25
Aquazamp/mistking +/- $100-130
Decor +/- $20-50 or more...
Vitamins/supplements +/- $15-20

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something... :)

welecome

The best thing I can tell you is make sure you have the tima and attention they require. Chameleonss are awesome pets and I love them all my favorite out of all that I own is my jackson chameleon. The best place for a beginer to go is reptile direct .com they have great options on everything you need at the best prices. The only thing they don't have that you can get almost anywhere is live plants a ficus tree is the best.:)

Craigslist is your friend...Craigslist is your friend...Craigslist is your friend...Craigslist is your friend...Craigslist is your friend...

Did I mention that Craigslist is your friend?? ;)

For EVERYTHING? Including the cham? Or just accessories?

Cage +/- $100
Light fixtures +/- $20
Bulbs +/- $25
Aquazamp/mistking +/- $100-130
Decor +/- $20-50 or more...
Vitamins/supplements +/- $15-20

I'm sure that I'm forgetting something... :)

And for the prices he listed that is mostly what they are going to be on the internet. You really want to avoid buying most of this stuff in the petstore due to their outrageous pricing and not to mention the people who work there. A lot of employees will go through a storm just to get you to buy something you don't need or because they don't have the knowledge themselves and they are just guessing.

Lol the first thing i did when i had the idea of buying one was look on craigslist. Sadly no one in my area has anything related to chameleon. Id bet i could find a screen cage though. But i have some more questions! how often would i need to buy food. what food for a baby? I hear fruit fly's but arent they small enough to escape the cage? Whats a good price for a Jackson Chameleon? If i cant find one locally, where could i get one on the internet?

Tell me about it! lol one of my good friends dropped 500 dollars on pet supplies in one day at Petsmart ha it is very helpful to keep your eyes open for deals and steals :D

Lol the first thing i did when i had the idea of buying one was look on craigslist. Sadly no one in my area has anything related to chameleon. Id bet i could find a screen cage though. But i have some more questions! how often would i need to buy food. what food for a baby? I hear fruit fly's but arent they small enough to escape the cage? Whats a good price for a Jackson Chameleon? If i cant find one locally, where could i get one on the internet?

I would avoid craigslist if at all possible when buying animals. Not bashing people on there what so ever but it is better to go to a breeder. Also not bashing a Jacksons but I would go the Veiled direction as they are a little bit more hardy and easier care IMO. If you are looking for a Jacksons care video I will post on for you that a senior member made awhile ago and it is great and very informative. As far as food goes, if you are set on getting a juvenile I would aim within the 3-4 month age range. Then you can buy him small crickets and won't have to break bank. They should eat around 20 meal items a day at that age up until about 5 months old when you cut them back a little to around 10 medium crickets a day. After around a year old then feed every other day. You will learn all this I am just giving you an idea. But you will probably if you buy around 200 crickets have to buy them once every 10 days if he does happen to eat 20 a day(he will probably eat a little less, 20 is not a definite number) I would go to one of the many established breeders, FLChams, LLLReptile are a couple. Also check out the site sponsors they have chameleons on their as well.

When feeding is it best to hand feed or let the crickets roam in the cage and let the chameleon do the work?

When feeding is it best to hand feed or let the crickets roam in the cage and let the chameleon do the work?

This is how I feed my chameleon, I make a cup feeder and this video is very good and will show you how to do so and what you will need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_od47TlbXA

But feel free to hand feed some of them, I do occasionally but it takes patients. They will not always be so trustworthy and somedays they are satins minions and want nothing to do with anyone :D but for the most part they are amazing reptiles, I love them a lot and have a passion for them. Also it is pretty fun to hand feed like worms and stuff because they love worms! LOVE worms lol

just searching on the websites people have provided i came across this LINK I dont know if this a good deal but it looks like it to me. If i got that and a chem on that website would that be the whole set up minus the food and nutrients? and water supply?

Back
Top Bottom